Print

Author Topic: Wii Disc Drive not working well.  (Read 11414 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
I was lamenting how I couldn't find a key for that earlier.

As for the tri-wing screwdrivers, do want.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 06:04:25 PM »
Your lack of faith in sending your Wii off to Nintendo makes me sad. They did just fine with my Wii back when I sent it off for the Brawl update (or whatever it was they did). Of course, I had to send it twice becuase they didn't put the Wii back together properly (the disk drive was in there, but for whatever reason, it wouldn't take any discs, and we couldn't power the Wii down: it was perpetually on) and shipping was free since Nintendo foresaw that lots of people with Wii's were likely going to get Brawl.

I did call them and they told me to ship it again, and they would pay for it again. They were very nice the entire time. I only used my method to fix it after recieveing it back and it still behaving like it did above.

$80

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »
Not if it's under warranty. And if it's not, $80 is still a lot less than $250.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »
I already said that the problem was the DISC. Not the Wii. THE DISC.

Which would be $50.

Hmm...such a hard math problem...

$50>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$80

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »
So... you can't return the disc and tell them that copy didn't work with your Wii?
Oh wait. This isn't the Metroid guy anymore. Your disc is probably scratched or dirty so you should clean it off with some CD cleaning spray. If that doesn't help, get it resurfaced. "An Error Has Occured" means that it can't read the disc because it's dirty or deformed. If you like bent the disc or punched holes in it, there's nothing left to be done.

Also, I hate to tell you, but $80>$50.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:33:09 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »
I've wiped it twice, and there are no apparant scratches or "deformities".

And all my other discs work.

I'll have to buy a new game.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »
You should try getting it resurfaced anyway.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
Especially if it turns out that the real problem is that the disc drive is damaged just enough that regular discs work but dual-layered ones don't.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 02:50:26 AM »
In which case you've got no choice but to send it in.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 06:46:10 AM »
*mumblethreadhijackmumble*

I already said that the problem was the DISC. Not the Wii. THE DISC.

Which would be $50.

Hmm...such a hard math problem...

$50>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$80
Send it in, they'll probably replace it. Buy a new one, thats 50 bucks.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »
Weird. My Wii doesn't have a warranty, and I sent it in for free to Nintendo.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »
Well, I suppose it depends on how big your problem was.

*mumblethreadhijackmumble*
Send it in, they'll probably replace it. Buy a new one, thats 50 bucks.

Yes, they'll replace it for $80.

I ALREADY CALLED THEM; THERE IS NO QUESTION THEY STATED $80.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »
Did they really say they would replace the game for $80, or did they say they would replace the game and the Wii for $80? I somehow doubt they told you they would replace a $50 game for $80. I'm not saying you're unreliable, I'm just saying that Nintendo would be pretty freaking stupid if they actually did that; so freaking stupid, in fact, that I am inclined to believe you are mistaken. You are, after all, just as fallible as the rest of humanity. If they really did say that they'll replace your $50 game and nothing else for $80, you should really call them up again, because someone had to have made a mistake somewhere. They're fallible too.

But if that price is for both the game and the Wii, I'd recommend doing it, even if you don't think, in your sole estimation, that the Wii is the problem. From where I'm standing, there's every reason why it very well could be. Brawl is probably the only dual-layered Wii game you have (You may have another one, but I had no way of knowing that, so if you're going to inform me of that, please be polite about it. I'm trying to be nice here, but if you don't want my help, just say so. I'm certainly not getting paid for this.), and, as I said before, there are many, many reports of Wii disc drives that work fine with single-layered discs but are damaged just enough by various airborne particles that they can't read dual-layered discs (Since you didn't claim to know that wasn't the case the last time I brought it up, I'm assuming it's still a possibility, at least until you address it somehow.). Nintendo gives you a new 1-year warranty every time they repair something, so it could end up paying for itself (And really, it's a pretty good price anyway. The standard used to be about half the price of the console for unwarrantied repairs.). If the Wii really isn't the problem, then either you just got a warranty for $80, or they probably won't charge you for it, as far as I know. But if you just go out and rebuy the game, and the Wii really is the problem, you'll be out $130.

If, after intently reading that wall of text, you're still certain that the problem is just the disc, then screw Nintendo and go ahead and rebuy it already if you care that much. But don't say I didn't warn you. This is where, if I cared, I would ask you how you're so certain that the Wii isn't the problem, and then we might be able to continue, but I'm exhausted. I've said all I'm going to say.

Goodbye.

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Wow. Big post.

Anyway...

Yes, they wanted me to send in BOTH the Wii and Game Disc.

HOWEVER, I am almost SURE that the only problem is the Disc. I do not see why I would need to send in the Wii, and since I don't have any SD Cards yet, I am nervous about losing memory.

Print