Print

Author Topic: Sonic Generations PC Low FPS/Controller Delay.  (Read 9898 times)

« on: May 28, 2012, 11:42:42 PM »
Title says it all. It started being noticeable during Modern Sky Sanctuary, but around City Escape, it judt became almost unplayable due to the delayed controller and low FPS. Does anyone know how to reduce this? The controller is pretty much an Xbox controller, but Logitech styled. It gets recognized as one, too.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
What are your system specs?

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120402-0336)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
       System Model: FK480AV-ABA a6660z
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 2046MB RAM
          Page File: 1898MB used, 2593MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »
Wait, you're playing Sonic Generations with 2GB of RAM?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
And usually there's only half that left most of the time. I really just want to know if there is a setting I can use or maybe some sort of thing I can do to reduce lag. I think I will be getting a new computer over summer and maybe (but probably not) a laptop of my own on my birthday or Christmas, so what should I do?

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:18:29 AM »
Have you put in any aftermarket graphics cards? I'm assuming that your PC model is the HP Pavilion a6600z since that's what came up on Google, and that PC comes with either a GeForce 6150SE or 9300GE, both of which are horrible graphics cards for gaming. Purchasing a better graphics card, and maybe more RAM, should help the cause.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:47:59 AM »
Wholeheartedly agree. The GPU alone can make or break performance in a much bigger way than the CPU or RAM. Case in point: despite having a quad-core processor and 8GB of RAM, I still have to play League of Legends at low settings to get decent framerates, and I can only play Borderlands at 800x600 with minimum settings to get something halfway-playable, because I haven't spent $150 on a proper graphics card yet.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »
No upgrades as far as I know. That suprises me though, because other games that should be more intensive, such as Portal 2 and Minecraft run fine. I will keep the graphics cards in mind when I build my next computer.  Any you can think of that would be great for gaming?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:33:42 PM »
For graphics cards, this is still relatively current and has a lot of good information (I'm buying one of the cards recommended here), but depending on when you're actually going to be doing stuff, you may be looking at very different options.

It's also worth noting that Portal 2 and Minecraft had PC as their lead development platform, while Sonic Generations was ported to PC at some point and therefore isn't optimized for the platform the same way those other games would be. Portal 2 also runs on the Source engine, which has been around for several years now and is still designed to play nice with somewhat older hardware; in my case, I was able to play through Portal 2 several times on a computer with a single-core processor, whereas most modern PC games require at least a dual-core processor.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
Ok, go SEGA pretty much said "Port it. Xbox is the same as windows." I was not aware that no optimization etforts were made. At least the build will be started soon.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »
I tested it on my new computer today, and it plays at a high FPS with no controller lag. Thanks for the help.

Print