Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart Double Dash: Need help  (Read 11544 times)

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:15:22 PM »
Hi,

I usually use my Nintendo Cube for baseball and football, but I've also been addicted to Mario Kart since the Nintendo 64 version. I've had the new version for a few years now (I got it when it came out by reserving it on Amazon--a rarity for me, since I own very few games) and I like it, but I'm wondering if there's an equivalent to the jump feature that was achieved by pressing "R" on the Nintendo 64 controller. Cornering is a little bit harder without that.

Also, is 150 CC as tough as it it seems? Or am I just not very experienced/good at games? (Aside from baseball and football, I also have Super Mario 64, which I beat after nine years of playing off and on, and I've heard it's a hard game to beat--note that I would go about six months between sessions of playing it so it took me from 1997-2006). On Mario Kart, I've been working on the All Cup Tour at 150 CC for a while now and can't get higher than silver.

Thanks for any help you guys might have.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 02:32:37 PM »
To answer number one, no, you can't jump. The karts are too heavy, I guess.

Number two: No, 150cc isn't exactly hard, it just takes getting used to. I always used Yoshi and Birdo to get into the lead and then used eggs to stay there (firing them frontwards). That might work for you. Other than that, you need to simply find out what will work for you and use it.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:40:42 PM »
I guess from a physics standpoint the weight of the kart makes sense. Two people are heavier than one. Also, the karts look bigger than the ones on Mario Kart 64.

If I hit the egg that is launched by one of those two, am I vulnerable if I run into it?

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
Your vulnerable to everything you can throw really.

The cups just take getting used to. I usually use Bowser, his car, and Wario.

You can't jump but you can drift as always.
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:20:26 PM »
I usually use baby mario or luigi and toad or toadette in toad's car. because u can get toad's special in first place sometimes and if u fall back u can can get chomp.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 11:04:25 PM »
Heavier karts have bad acceleration, so when using a heavy kart you have to get around that disadvantage by any means possible.  That means getting the turbo start at the beginning, knowing how to power slide, and using the turbo pads on the track.  The good thing about being heavier is that smaller karts won't knock you down or get in your way.

If you're able to keep from getting hit from other karts(not the items, just the karts), then you could switch to a lighter kart that has better acceleration. 

Middle-sized karts don't have any real weakness, so they're good starting karts.

Also, since different characters have different special items, you could mix characters depending on their special items to get a good combo.  Like the Toads' golden mushroom special can combine with a yoshi's homing egg special to provide you with speed and attack.  If you have two characters with the same special item, you'd have less variety in special items but there'd be a greater chance of getting the special item between the two of them.  Like if I had Mario and Luigi, it wouldn't matter who's in the back to get fireballs, while if you had Mario and Yoshi, Yoshi's egg would only appear while Yoshi's in the back.  If you opt for double item blocks, they'll both get an item so you don't have to worry about who's in the back.  Experiment with different characters to see what you work best with.  Personally, I don't like Wario's bombs because you can get caught in the explosion, and I don't like Mario's fireballs because they don't aim well and don't travel a great distance.  They can also bounce off walls and hit you.

This is all basic or obvious stuff, so if you don't know it, learn it.  And if you do know it, practice it.  Practice makes perfect, like they say.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 01:38:59 PM »
FInd those shortcuts.
Plus, because 150cc has given the karts higher top speeds, the shortcut of cutting the turn in BC is a breeze.
ALso, learn to guess and check. If you think that someone is behind you, throw a shell behind you.
Also, keep a bannana and a shell handy. If a shell is heading straight for you, the little icon will warn you. Just throw the thing back.
Also fine tune your aim. The ability to throw your last green shell at home strech at first place who is 50 yards away will give you a big advantage.
Most Wishy-Washy

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »
If a shell is heading straight for you, the little icon will warn you.

That's only for red shells.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 08:35:20 AM »
^^ And Blue Ones.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 02:35:10 PM »
And eggs, chain chomps, and fireballs, I thinko.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 10:56:41 PM »
About those eggs: It's pretty hard to hit them when you fire them forward, because they stay on the track as if driving itself, and it moves far faster than you. It is possible, however, to hit your own egg if you take the inside edge of a turn and it takes the outside.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 11:36:06 PM »
Well, my Double Dash skills were put to the test with mixed results on Wednesday against my cousin.

A bit about my cousin: She's an 11 year old girl who loves her Game Cube. She plays it way more often than I play with mine.

Now, given the fact I'm nine years older and have owned a Nintendo system longer (I got my first one, a Nintendo 64, in 1997) one would think I would have won everything. However, I didn't do all that well on the game today and I still need some pointers. After all, I lost to an 11 year old girl many times, and for someone almost half my age to beat me shows that either I'm an embarassment or that I'm getting old and my reflexes are slowing some.

#1: I figured out the whole jump thing (or rather lack thereof) and I power slide pretty well. But the "Rainbow Road" course still causes problems for me. On the sharp turns near the beginning I keep falling off no matter how much I slide. Any suggestions on how to avoid this? Would braking help or would I fall down the incline beforehand?

#2: In "Sherbet Land", is there any good way to avoid the ice cubes with frowny faces on them? I hit about three of them in a devistating loss. Ever since I got the game I've had this problem and when I play "All Cup Tour" this one usually blows the score for me.

#3: One of the tracks I'm good at is "Bowser's Castle". Do the fireballs always come up in the same spots toward the end of this track? I know I've played this race a good bit for years, but I'm just wondering if they ever randomize.

#4: I played the "Shine Thief" game for the first time today. I noticed that the clock set to random times after someone got hit and the sun was left abandoned on the field. Do you get more time on this if you let it sit longer? And also on this game, can you bump into someone to try to steal it without using a star? (This is like how you can bump people and snag their shells).

#5: My cousin and I played against each other in December and I won most of the races. I know she's been playing it a lot and I know I'm a casual gamer who plays it maybe a few times a month, but is it possible that my skills have eroded due to age? Or has my cousin just gotten way too good at this? She claims she hasn't played this game much lately.

#6: When playing "Bomb Blast", which I hardly have ever played until now, does hitting another person always cause them to lose a point? We had a game going for about ten minutes and I don't know if we had hit each other at the same time or what, but it would keep going 1-1, 2-1, 1-1, 1-2, and so on with the score. Just curious as a relative newcomer to this game mode.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 01:30:07 AM »
1. Rainbow Road, huh? You need to take the extreme inside edge and hit the rail just after the absense of rail.

2. You must simply guide yourself around them using small movements with the control stick, none of this swervy, kindergarten type driving.

3. The fireballs are launched from a mobile Bowser statue, which moves from left to right, then right to left, and etc.

4. a. Yes, time goes up for a certain amount depending on how much time was left on the timer when the Shine was dropped.
4. b. I've never tested it. Try it!

5.... didn't you say you "won most of the races?" You should know that Double Dash skills erode rather quickly-- I discovered this the hard way.

6. Stars are made in the beginning, and actually transferred if the blasted party has one or more stars.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 08:56:13 PM »
Suffix, I thank you. I tried the techniques on "Sherbet Land" and it seemed to work--but only against my cousin. For some reason the racers on GP in one player mode (150cc) kept passing me! But at least I didn't hit the ice blocks.

And yes, I do agree that Double Dash skills erode. When I got the game in November 2003 I had more time to play it (my school schedule was very easy, it was November and then Christmas so I didn't have a lot of baseball-related activity going on, plus I was only 17 so my reflexes were better). But if Double Dash skills erode so quickly, why don't Mario Kart 64 skills? I got that one out after playing Double Dash today and I beat the Special Cup at 150cc and I hadn't played the game in over two months.

For the record I did do better against my cousin today, including a six game win streak in battle mode. I still got hammered on the races though.

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 03:13:33 AM »
I don't think your reflexes degrade between age seventeen and twenty.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 10:27:36 PM »
That's true, because I haven't lost any steps on the baseball field or basketball court. Must just be either a lack of playing the game.

In any case, my cousin wound up with the winning record on her final day, but then I asked her if she wanted to play the old Nintendo 64. She said she had only played one at her dentist or something (my pediatric dentist had a Nintendo 64 himself) so I felt a bit better. I wound up a perfect 8-0 against her.

What still puzzles me is how Mario Kart 64 skills don't degrade like Double Dash ones do. Maybe it's because I learned Mario Kart 64 at a younger age and am more apt to remember it, both mentally and physically (reflex-wise). Sort of like how I hadn't played soccer since seventh grade and it all came back to me when I played a few games in a rec league as a junior in high school? (I started playing soccer when I was four)

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 11:04:05 PM »
I am having big trouble with winning the Flower Cup in 150cc. The closest I can get to is Silver Cup. I got a Nintendo Gamecube about a couple of weeks ago off ebay. 50cc is walk in the park and 100cc is fairly easy to beat as well. But 150cc is really hard for me though I did get gold in the Mushroom Cup race which I used Yoshi and good old Bowser with his car to win that race with. I have noticed that the handling is very different to Mario Kart 64 though :).

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 11:15:11 PM »
In Mario Kart DD, you'll notice that bobbing back and forth and using drift-boosts all the time is extremely difficult, so! My strategy is to drift like crazy on any turn, and use very small movements on straightaways or small turns.

Fire any items you get backwards as fast as possible, and use Yoshi to your advantage. Fire an egg forward and you might get a star. Such luck has saved me from horrible blue explosions.

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 08:13:52 PM »
The CPUs are much more smarter and aggressive than they were in MK64. The control gets kinda sticky if you don't play it for a while. (Trust me. Too much Mario Kart DS hindered my Double Dash skills.)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 08:50:09 PM »
Meh, Since the game came out in 2003, I've kept all my skills even I can't play thanks to a malfunctioning GCN, suffix, your tatict is all wrong, no no no , you must start over: first of all, you can't just go throwin' your items around willy nilly just the second when you get em'! Make them all count, if you have a useless green shell that you will chuck and whirl aound hitting nothing but walls until it breaks, instead, if an enemy get near, aim and shoot! Tilt you Kart if needed to shoot it at an angle, if you're patient, it works! If you Have a banana peel that no one will hit, use it as a defensive barrier, you never know when someone throws a red shell at you! If you use these tips, you should be just fine, slogan: Make all your items count!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 09:11:06 PM »
Do what works best for you, but "nay," I say. Retain items if you will, but absolutely do not let yourself carry an item through another item-container. I prefer to lay banana peels in the middle because that's where most red shells travel when not in close range, and many computer characters pass through the middle. Actually, what I previously said was a memory lapse: I don't fire items "willy-nilly." I do precisely what I just talked about, retaining until another chance to gain items is imminent.

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »
That's only for red shells.
When I've played 2 player and I'm in the back, I punch out of the way as soon as it's about to hit me.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 07:07:20 PM »
I think AB has gotten his help.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 03:53:08 PM »
I need help. I just bought a new copy of the game on the 17th (I tell you this because it might be a glitch in the new copy) but I've gottengold trophies in the mushroom cup, flower cup, and star cup, but I can't find the Special Cup. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 04:24:53 PM »
Check all your CC levels. See if you're missing a cup.

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 02:52:11 PM »
So, you mean I have to have every cup on every cc level completed?
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 02:55:43 PM »
Correct.

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 08:04:33 PM »
No you can't jump

And you just need to get used to 150 cc I

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 10:43:29 PM »
Did you read the second post on the first page?
To answer number one, no, you can't jump. The karts are too heavy, I guess.

Number two: No, 150cc isn't exactly hard, it just takes getting used to. I always used Yoshi and Birdo to get into the lead and then used eggs to stay there (firing them frontwards). That might work for you. Other than that, you need to simply find out what will work for you and use it.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 02:55:57 PM »
i need some help getting past the star cup on 150cc it keeps whooping my butt
i use my best characters and karts but i still cant get past the level
please help
i like pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 06:14:12 PM »
Errr.... Practice.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 11:36:38 PM »
ive practaced on all the star cup corses and i still get my butt handed to me
i like pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie,pie

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 08:24:56 AM »

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »
I read it...where are these shortcuts?

Is there really one for Yoshi's Circuit? I hate that course! And I can't beat Sherbet Land to save myself! I went 0-7 against my cousin on this one over a two day stretch!

At least I was getting pretty good at battle mode...have to find some way to win against a 12 year old girl...but I still was under .500 both days.

Maybe I should just retire from video games because I suck!!!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 11:36:27 PM »
The Yoshi's Circuit shortcut is a bit difficult--after the "Turn Left" sign, there's a gap in the fence. Use a Mushroom or Starman to speed up and jump off the little cliff, there's a tunnel down there.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 07:16:35 PM »
I need help. I just bought a new copy of the game on the 17th (I tell you this because it might be a glitch in the new copy) but I've gottengold trophies in the mushroom cup, flower cup, and star cup, but I can't find the Special Cup. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Finish the Star Cup 100cc with gold (if you haven't already). Check around and make sure that you've fisined all cups with gold trophies.. I thought I had all gold one time, and then realized that I was missing one that was bronze. Bronze and gold look really similar on my tv.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2007, 02:39:32 PM »
Always use the koopas. Have the Paratroopa at the back. That's all I can say.
"it's always the present"

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »
For a second there I thought you were using your Gamecube as a ball for football and baseball! lawl
"it's always the present"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2007, 06:09:16 PM »
You're not only talking to yourself, but over long periods of time... I don't think anyone currently needs any help on MK:DD... do you notice this?
It's YOUR problem!

Print