Print

Author Topic: New World Record for SMB any% on NES! darbian - 4:57.260!  (Read 6520 times)

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:16:45 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-QpxN8wPo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-QpxN8wPo</a>

Everything about this run is the fastest a human has ever done it up to this point in history. darbian has held and improved the WR since October 18th of last year, starting with a 4:57.627 (only a few frames faster than the old record, which stood for a year and a half.) He again improved the record on January 14th, 2016 by 12 frames to a time of 4:57.427.

And now, tonight, on an otherwise normal night (like all the others), he broke the world record once again! I'm very happy to say I was in chat to witness it this time and it was very exhilarating. You just never know when these sorts of things are going to happen (he had actually reluctantly decided to stream that night while waiting for his laundry to dry).

More info on running SMB can be found by tracing darbian's post history on reddit, especially his contributions to the WR submissions on r/speedrun, which I have linked in the URLs for the times above. Here's the post for the new record.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:23:27 PM by Mr. Melee »
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »
I love watching the heart rate counter soar as he gets to the last few levels.

Good times.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:30:24 PM »
Does the Bullet Bill trick starting at 3:35 actually save time?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:09:03 PM »
I love watching the heart rate counter soar as he gets to the last few levels.

Good times.

Same! He gives good reasoning of why he does the HR monitor, too. It helps drive home how nerve-wracking it is for him as a runner to the viewer sitting in the comfort of their dwelling. My heart rate definitely went up with his, especially on the last level.

Does the Bullet Bill trick starting at 3:35 actually save time?

Yes, 0.7 seconds to be exact. It's faster than waiting for the flag animation and the walking animation to the castle.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »
Wild, wild stuff. The tension is almost palpable.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »
I remember back when the 5:05 run (Scott Kessler) was huge news a number of years ago, gotta be almost 10 years ago by now. Crazy that a human run can get this good.

Print