Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 6 (fan game)  (Read 6336 times)

« on: October 07, 2009, 01:08:54 AM »
Man, I was supposed to have this done years ago. Anyway, I made a fan game. Try it out if you'd like. It is called:

I believe this only works on Windows so if you're using something else, you're out of luck.
If you don't like my default controls, set your own in the options menu. If you have a computer joystick, that should work too. And you can press F4 at anytime for fullscreen if you are so inclined.

Here, have some screenshots:

Also, I'd appreciate you informing me of any and all glitches you find.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:58:21 PM by DeftFunk »

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »
Bump for major updates.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »
Uhh... who are you?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »
Screenshots 3 and 4 look vaguely familiar, like they're from past Mario games..

Ghost edit: Screen #4 looks like 1-1 from the Lost Levels
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:11:50 PM »
Needs less visual consistency. Just a little less
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »
Pretty good so far. I'll give more feedback when I have a chance to play it with a controller.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:24:46 AM »
Seems pretty good, I tried the earlier version and I haven't had as much a chance to play this one but I'll give it a shot. So far;

- Doesn't seem to be enough sound. Jumps and coins are entirely silent, gives the whole game a bit of a desolate feel. I had to blast some Wolfmother to compensate. :D
- BP's already pointed this out, but you really need some consistency with your graphic choices. The SMW/SMB3 thing was fine, but NSMB is so far removed that it may as well be a different series.
- The HUD doesn't feel very... Mario-y
- I'm using the Xbox 360 controller with the game and I can't use the D-pad for control. Not sure if this is a problem with the GM engine though.
- Changed controls during my second playthrough and it still used the original settings.
- You can't use select Pause menu options from the map screen with the up/down buttons on the joystick, you need to use the keyboard and then the joystick to confirm
- Can't unpause game unless I use Ctrl, custom pause button won't unpause. For that matter I thought I had to forcequit it from Task Manager untl I figured that out :P

But most significantly, I started up the new version for the second time (first time, I changed controls and did a bit of the first level) and I got the error shown below. I'm using Windows 7 x64.

Aside from these minor squabbles, I'm seeing the start of a very good game! Apart from the things I mentioned the gameplay is quite solid (I liked the little walljump ability), though if I'm hoping you'll go with a more original name and more original levels. A bit of story would do fine as well, but even Miyamoto himself isn't too crazy about it, so hey, each to their own.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
Quote from: ShadowBrain
Uhh... who are you?
I am DeftFunk.

Quote from: Toad
Screenshots 3 and 4 look vaguely familiar, like they're from past Mario games..
Yes, I did copy some levels. At first I used them as a comparison to make sure I was programming stuff correctly. But then I decided to leave them in anyway. There are original levels.

Quote from: Ultima Shadow
Stuff.
Dude, thanks a lot for the detailed feedback.

- Jumps and coins are entirely silent? I was afraid they would be too loud.... huh...
-Yes, I did clash a bunch of different styles from a bunch of different games. I... didn't think that would be a problem.
-And yes, the HUD could use some work. I didn't really prioritize it, it seemed like too minor of a thing at the time, but it's next ofn my list.
-I have no issue with my joypad, but I certainly don't have an Xbox 360 controller to test with. This sounds like a Game Maker issue that I can't really sort out until I get one myself. Sorry.
-Changing the controls should make it use both the original settings and your custom ones with your custom ones taking priority. I did this because completely nullifying the original setting caused problems for some reason I've spent moths trying to figure, but to no avail. If you say your custom setting do not work at all then...huh...
-This is an issue I have not at all been able to reproduce nor have heard of before. Although I think you are the first person that told me they were using a controller. ....huh..
-When you pause the game, any key should unpause it. This is a poor way of doing things I know, but for some reason, everything else I tried failed. This makes the issue you discribe especially weird...
-And this most significant error I have also been unable to reproduce. It doesn't seem possible that that array could go negative as I reset that variable immideately before and immediately after that piece of code. ...huh...

Now all the times I've said "...huh..." is making me think that perhaps the game did not download properly or something as I have not been able to reproduce these errors. Or perhaps it is affected by your operating system, as this version of Game Maker was made back in XP days. (I use Vista) Hrm.... not sure how to go about fixing that.... I would say try downloading it again, unzipped. But that's very likely not going to work...

But thanks for the praise. I will make more original levels of course, but I personally feel an original name is not necessary as this is not an original game. I do have a story planned out though. Nothing too special, but it's more than an excuse plot.

Again, thanks a lot.

Print