Print

Author Topic: TMK @ E3  (Read 74701 times)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 06:01:45 PM »
w00000000000000000000000000000t!!! I talked it over with my parents, and they say I can go.....provided I have to pay for everything. So, basically, my only problem that'd keep me from going is the money.... Watoad, you are the GREATEST person on the face of the earth for seriously actually thinking about financially helping me, even if you end up not! ^____^  I already owe you so much already! (No, I don't owe him money, smart-Alecks.)

Well, anyway, all of us going/planning on going need to discuss things like places to stay, transportation, etc.  And if we end up all lodging in one huge room (sans CW and me), what would we do about me? Obviously CW will be with his family in their own room, but me being a girl and all, it wouldn't be....right..sharing a room with all you guys. Would we spilt the cost so I could have my own room?

Another hypothetical possibility is that we could stay with my great aunt and uncle. The live, like 50 miles from downtown LA, tho. They have a HUUUUUGE house, so I don't think space would be a problem. I'd need to see if they would be willing to do this, however. But it's still a possibility.

Another concern is transportation. You have to be 25 to be able to rent a car....so that only allows Deezer for that. For those of you who already live in Cali, if you're already driving and could provide transportation, that'd be great.

"If you would be able to afford E3 in 2006, then why wouldn't you in '05? Just curious. ~_^"
~Well, by then I intend to already have a job, so I actually will have money. Also, I won't have school to worry about since college gets out in early May, rather than the end of May. Now 2005 isn't such a problem, since I only have one class to finish, and I'm making it up rather than being there as a "normal student." If I complete the course before school ends, I won't have to worry about being there and missing more stuff...'specially since finals are the following week after E3. ...So this is my incentive to complete my stuff early! ^_^

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.

Edited by - Sapphira on 1/23/2005 4:14:46 PM
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 07:19:04 PM »
Now I am definitely jealous, it's like a field trip to E3 and people only 18 and over are allowed....

*Shakes fist at limit*

....Well, I will be going to Bermuda around that time, so....
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005, 10:42:25 PM »
Not to mention you have to at least be remotely related to the industry.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 12:50:28 AM »

Which I'm technically not, as MEGAߥTE has pointed out—I was never hired onto TMK's staff like the rest of you cool guys. ;_; or :-/ Not that there was a compelling reason to hire me or anything. There wasn't.

I guess I was just hoping that at least one of the people on staff (who doesn't go by the name David or J.J.) would be willing to help me out in that area if he could. But I guess not just any staff member could help me with this. So . . . yeah, I would need Deezer's help. I guess even before classicgaming it depends whether or not he would want the weirdo who brought "Deezer Song" into the world to be tagging along with all the cool peeps.

Sorry for misspelling "be" in my last post.

I like your suggestions, Sapph! Thanks for taking my topic seriously and actually trying for more than two-sentence discussion. ;) I'm only 20, so I wouldn't be able to rent a car as you say, but I've been considering driving down to L.A. instead of flying. If I were to do that, then we'd have my five-seater '96 Saturn SL2 at our disposal. Observe:

I'm a very safe driver, but I can also be pretty aggressive when I need/want to be.

As for the room situation, I need to check and see exactly how many points we have saved up, and then how far that would get us. I don't know any more specifics beyond that right now.

Here's a another pic for you guys—a "zoomed-out" view of the structures between which I was holding myself in the other shot:

“Hey, lemme borrow your bike. C’mon, I’ll give you some chips.”

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2005, 12:57:43 PM »
Actually, here's something you may want to hear, Watoad ;) :

[19:58:22] MegaByte-away: we haven't guaranteed Watoad yet
[19:59:19] MegaByte-away: though if he gets us a free room, then that puts him to the top

Now that I think about it, my great aunt and uncle's house should probably be a last-resort consideration. They live ~50 miles from LA, and LA traffic is ALWAYS horrible....so that will be, like, a 2-hour drive each way each day. That is a LOT of traveling...not to mention the cost of gas. Besides, then we'd definitely need a rental car. I'm thinking the best thing to do is get that m/hotel room(s) thing and use a shuttle bus. Then we wouldn't even need to rent a car. Over all, I think it'd be much less money, not to mention it'd give us a lot more time.

Other note: Somebody should DEFINITELY bring a Gamecube for this trip. MKDD...SSBM....that'd be awesome playing against each other. ;)

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.

Edited by - Sapphira on 1/24/2005 11:03:01 AM
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 02:45:58 PM »
There's no reason to even try to stay right near the convention center.  We just need to make sure that wherever we stay is near one of the metro lines (they run out pretty far).

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 08:18:34 PM »
I wonder how high one could climb in between those things...

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” -Atticus Finch
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 08:29:30 PM »
To the top... if your name was Jackie Chan.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 09:15:53 PM »

Which means that you may no longer call me Jackie Chan, for there is no way that I can get all the way up there.

Thank you for the news and info, MEGAߥTE and Sapphira! It looks like I had better start researching what and where the points can get us pronto. Are the locations of the metro lines easy to determine remotely?

If a GCN is to be brought, then I had better get some SSBM practice in as the time approaches. I'm much worse than pathetically beatable at the moment.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 09:35:49 PM »
I should bring my SNES too. Hehe.

So:

- Sapph is going now?
- Watoad is at the top of the list now?

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »
With every post in this topic, my jealousy grows higher and higher.

:(

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 10:36:14 PM »

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2005, 09:06:35 AM »
As Strong Bad might say, "That's a lotta yes for one... yes. Err... for one link? Anyway, are ya trying to master the art of saying a lot with only one word, or are ya just lazy, man?"

I don't think you're lazy—that's just the kind of thing I'd expect Strong Bad to say. In actuality you're helpful, and I think I'll use that web page in conjunction with some other info and my dad this weekend to see what kind of m/hotel might work for us that we can get with our frequent sleeper minutes. Since my dad grew up in L.A. and is still pretty familiar with the area, he'd probably be pretty helpful with this.

I'd say that that's a good idea, Chup. Any time that we're not spending looking at video games at the show would be well spent playing video games in the m/hotel, right? ;) Actually, that makes me wonder: How much time do you usually have to kill while you're in L.A. but not at E3? I would imagine that it'd be less than MEGAߥTE and Deezer's recent trip down there.

Oh, and also, if we were to have a GCN and an SNES in the same room, do you suppose that we'd be able to call the front desk and request another TV? :D

Sorry, Vid. But keep in mind that these are only preliminary-type discussions; none of us knows yet what exactly will happen. And at any rate, I doubt that there'd be a problem with you joining festivities outside the show if you wanted to, provided that you don't sing the Song of Storms. ;P

One last question for this post: Any idea when you might find out how many passes are available from classicgaming? For me a trip to California in May will mean missing both school and work, and the latter I must request off in advance (the further in advance, the better). But I figure that I may as well not request it off if I don't know that I'm going, which I don't right now.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2005, 10:50:10 PM »
Some hotel TVs don't have standard connectors.  My wife found this out on a recent trip to Florida.  The TV in her room had oversized RCA style plugs.  She had to tape the wires to the TV to make the video work, and I don't think she ever got the audio.  I am not sure how widespread this is, but remember playing a hotel N64 networked game at a hotel once that had a computer like connector and nothing else.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2005, 11:19:06 PM »
"Sorry, Vid. But keep in mind that these are only preliminary-type discussions; none of us knows yet what exactly will happen. And at any rate, I doubt that there'd be a problem with you joining festivities outside the show if you wanted to, provided that you don't sing the Song of Storms. ;P"

Heh, I'd be lucky if I'd be able to get out of the state. A trip to LA just for myself would cost a fortune. Too bad. That, and I still can't drive a car without a parent in it, and won't be able to drive alone until 2006, when I get my junior license.

But, Lizard Dude will be calling me on his phone during the festivities —Provided I give him my phone number in time— so, in a sense, it'd be like I'm there.....well, vocally, at least. Don't worry about me singing the Song of Storms either, heh heh.

Edited by - Vidgmchtr on 1/25/2005 9:22:58 PM

Print