Print

Author Topic: Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time released in USA  (Read 24199 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: November 28, 2005, 05:08:12 PM »
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time warps onto store shelves across the US today. The highly anticipated sequel to Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga brings the Mario Brothers together with their younger selves for an action-RPG adventure through time on the Nintendo DS.

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 05:52:54 PM »
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!! I'll try to get it tomorow.
I'm a horrible person.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:40:50 PM »
It's times like this I really want a DS.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 09:45:51 PM »
 Tomorrow is the pick up day.

Oddly enough, they let me preorder it today.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:44:05 PM »
The game is very good, but it may be dissapointing to people who expected it to be better than SS.

The Battle Music is lame compared to the one in SS.

When the Brothers jump, the go to the top screen. It is awkward to determine when to do the action command.

Other than that, the game is great.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 10:31:37 PM »
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:24:23 PM by Marionater »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 10:56:43 PM »
You can post your friend code here.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 12:45:20 AM »
If only I could find that [edit] DS...

Im very sceptical about this game...the Mario 'verse has never attempted time travel before and Im not sure if they can pull it off. Though I am curious to see if thie reveals anything about Mario and Luigi's chilhood. This will be very interesting indeed...

I find the Idea Of Mario and Luigi helping their past selves creepifying...I liked them as a duo just fine...

I'll give it a chance though..I've been sceptical about my most favorite games before.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 02:13:51 PM by Sapphira »

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 09:51:36 AM »
How is this game?

We have to wait in Italyyyyy!!!

What a shame!

1,2,3...la pazzia mi fa sbavare sulla tastiera: non ho manco un DS:e che cavoliiiiiii!
          Forse è meglio se non chiedo queste cose, perchè sennò son sempre qui a scrivere su internet quando posso andare nel Regno dei Funghi.....
Perchè il Mondo m'è così avverso????=D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 09:53:33 AM by Super Caterina! »
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 11:34:15 AM »
I just found out I'm getting a DS for Christmas! So I can get this! YIPEE!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 09:24:28 PM »
Present Peeker! Cheater!
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 10:15:25 PM »
Just wondering, "have you played the game?"
Or at least seen plenty of videos to say it won't be as good as SS?
I for one enjoyed SS a lot EXCEPT for the fact that you can't save after beat Bowletta. Besides that...I give the game a 9.
PiT though...might be interesting. If you check over at Ign...you can see they gave it the same score as SS.
9 and 9...tough comp. But I think MK is still my choice to buy INCASE you haven't bought it yet. If you want my friend code, send me a message...I currently have near 80 wins and just under 20 losses.

Yes. I did get the game.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 10:29:02 PM »
Im very sceptical about this game...the Mario 'verse has never attempted time travel before and Im not sure if they can pull it off.
Ummm, Mario's Time Machine for the SNES, and NES?
I'm a horrible person.

Sqrt2

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 08:19:26 AM »
Ummm, Mario's Time Machine for the SNES, and NES?

Yeah, but that sucked being an edutainment game and all. Sucked big time!!
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 09:13:47 AM »
I don't even know how it was because I don't have it.
I'm a horrible person.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 08:16:51 PM »
Present Peeker! Cheater!

As I am every year! *evil Wario laugh*

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 08:21:16 PM »
I'm going to tell your parents. Hey! ledzeppelinrocks's parents! Your son peeks at his Christmas presents! Send him to bed without supper!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 11:02:35 PM »
ROFL
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 05:28:29 PM »
...food...

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 09:17:22 AM »
HEY! HELP ME!
Now I have enough money to buy a Ds, a game and other(always for my DS) but I don't know what game  I can buy at first....
Waiting for the end of these holidays and go to buy the wi-fi connector with Mario Kart DS and a DS, or just waiting for Mario and Luigi: Partners in time, wich will sell from the 27th of this month??

I can't wait any more for buying a Nintendo DS! But this game, Mario and Luigi: Partners in time, is very interesting!
And then, I want to race a day with some one of you with Mario Kart DS!!!!!
I don't know what to buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell me something about the game of this topic? Is it better if I wait?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 09:31:52 PM »
While Partners in Time is a fantastic game, I had more fun with Mario Kart DS. I'd buy Mario Kart DS now, and buy Partners in Time when its price goes down.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 10:17:59 PM »
I don't see a price drop for Partners in Time happening anytime this decade.

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 10:23:40 PM »
Good, that means I didn't go nuts like I did when I first bought my DS.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 10:24:16 PM »
Prices don't drop unless it's used or they've sold a million. I don't think you want to wait that long.
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
In that case, buy Markio-- I mean, Mario Kart first, PiT later.

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 10:39:28 PM »
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land dropped 10 bucks... but maybe that's just in my region.

Game Over

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 04:46:46 AM »
Buy MKDS first, I actually didn't have as much fun with PiT.

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 05:22:27 AM »
NOOOO! It's impossible!
Is Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga better then Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time??
Is Mario Kart Double Dash better then Mario Kart DS?

Then, the price never goes down for NDS, Advance and SP: games and consolle.
We have only the players' choice for Game Cube....-___-'

Game Over

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 05:29:47 AM »
Is Mario Kart Double Dash better then Mario Kart DS?

Reverse that before I smack you...

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 06:26:29 AM »
She doesn't know yet, she never had the game.
I'm a horrible person.

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 07:40:41 AM »

She doesn't know yet, she never had the game.

Hey! I have Mario Kart: Double Dash! The problem is if Mario Kart DS is better then that game.
I don't have Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Mario and Luigi Partner's in time and Mario Kart DS. I've heard very much about the first one and I've tried it many times (even if the DS and the game weren't mine). It's s good game and I ask you if you've tried all these three games.

If mario Kart DD will be better then Mario Kart DS, I will buy this game only for my birthday

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 02:38:31 PM »
MKDS is better than MKDD. Trust me. The graphics are better in MKDD, but MKDS has twice as many tracks and tons more unlockable stuff. Ok, maybe that's not true since you get another kart every time you complete a GP in MKDD, but the stuff you can unlock in MKDS is a lot cooler.

SS & PiT... A lot of people say that SS is better. I wouldn't be surprised, since SS was one of the best GBA games. Probably the best if you exclude remakes. SS would be hard to improve. But I put PiT on my shopping list all the same.
It's YOUR problem!

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 09:51:26 AM »
Is Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time one of the best games of NDS?

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2006, 11:14:40 AM »
Yes.
I'm a horrible person.

Yoshi55

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 10:20:28 AM »
I own the game. I got it for Christmas. It's great.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 10:23:19 AM by Yoshi55 »
He's back. All you had to do is ask. Super Mario Bros. 3 from Nintendo. Now you're playing with POWER! (SMB3 NES commercial)

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2006, 01:40:42 AM »
Mario Kart DS is easily better than Double Dash. While I thought that Double Dash was a great game, I thought it was the worst entry to the Mario Kart franchise. Mario Kart DS is the best, in my opinion. It has more courses than any of the other Mario Kart games (including some of the best tracks from the previous titles), a good selection of characters (though not as good as Double Dash), 1P Battle Mode, and the new Mission Mode. Obviously, online play is also a great new addition.

I haven't played Superstar Saga unforunately, but Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is phenomenal. I'm about 10 hours into the game and it is easily one of the most entertaining games I've ever played. I'm not usually a big RPG fan, but PiT is definitely one of my favorite DS games of any genre.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2006, 02:10:33 AM »
So far I'd say that M&L:SS is better, but that's not saying much against PiT since SS's greatness would be very difficult to surpass. M&L:PiT's an awesome game. Watching Toadsworth & Toadsworth performing acrobatic moves together cracks me up.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2006, 04:27:50 PM »
I enjoy the game. I got for Christmas.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 07:34:52 PM »
If you registered M&L:PiT on Nintendo.com you may want to check the email you have with them to see if you were picked to participate in their survey.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2006, 10:10:19 PM »
I was chosen. :D ...And I accepted.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 01:33:27 PM »
Honestly Mario Kart:Double Dash wasn't worth the CD it came on.  The two character system was akward, and if you tried it with two players the second character had almost nothing to do.  Mario Kart DS takes out all the gimmicks and sticks to being a solid racing game.  If it wasn't for the fact that I see three blue shells every FREAKING RACE then Mario Kart DS would be my favorite Mario Kart.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »
Should we feel a smug sense of superiority over them, or envy them?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
On one hand, typing like that unironically is now officially--and rightfully--relegated to the early 2000s; on the other hand, they'd probably understand it just fine if it was speaking in hieroglyphs emojis.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
...I kinda want Emoji Hammer Bros now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
🐢🔨🐢🔨

M   L
😭😭

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
WHERE DO YOU FIND THOSE

CrossEyed7

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
No numbers allowed humanoids and humanoid with upside down hornss these month think they're so icebox with their tortoises and their hammers on their new square calculators but they'll TREASURE BURIED HERE match the Earth's This Side Up meme Samus Having Her Brain Sucked Out By A Metroid right backwards closed captions on the bell crowndom's vocalization shopping bag.
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
So I just replayed Partners in Time the other day for the first time in like ten years, and I actually liked it a lot more than I remembered. It's pretty short (I beat it in under 15 hours, battling pretty much every enemy I saw), really linear (pretty sure there's no sidequests at all, unless you include buying things from Fawful with beans), and just kinda feels like they were supposed to do more with it (why even bother having a key items menu?), but the battles are really fun (it helps that I'm a lot better at using Bros Items now) and the tutorials really weren't bad at all. The story is pretty good, though I do agree that having villains who can't talk at all did hurt it. I still definitely see why we all considered it the weakest Mario RPG before Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star came out, but for what it is, it's pretty fun.

Now to finally get around to playing Bowser's Inside Story.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2015, 03:46:37 PM »
Yeah, PiT wasn't bad (heck, I played through it at least twice), but the areas were indeed criminally linear, and even having standard attacks exist was weird in light of the combination of high-HP bosses and near-innumerable bro attack items. Gotta love that soundtrack, though!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2015, 08:27:37 AM »
I have yet to hear a compelling case for non-linearity in games that aren't specifically about exploration. It's much easier to balance a linear game, both in terms of gameplay design and in terms of narrative pace. As a developer, you don't have the same opportunities to pad out a game's length when you're shoving the player forward at all times instead of giving them the opportunity to meander, and you can focus your limited resources on improving the content that needs to be there (fixing bugs, improving mechanics that might not actually be that fun, tightening up the graphics on level three, and so on) instead of spreading yourself thin. Additionally, most of the examples of "non-linear" games that come up for JRPGs in particular tend to be "linear games with a couple of side paths with hidden treasure chests," like Final Fantasy X, which tells me a lot of people don't actually understand the concept they're defending.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
I don't have a problem with "linearity" if the game itself isn't also repetitive, if that makes sense. PiT followed the same structure repeatedly for most areas: one area divided into three to four subsections, then a miniboss, then another sub-area with the same structure, then a boss. And yeah, I know that can be said about most Zelda games and other Mario RPGs, but the areas in PiT almost seemed like they were deliberately designed to easily appear in small chunks on the top screen of the DS. Even with pieces of the Cobalt Star constantly getting scattered and stolen, I feel like SS and BIS still had a more varied, madcap story/overworld/dungeon structure that benefits the tone and style of the series better. Can't speak for Dream Team, though, unfortunately.

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »
One of my main problems with PiT is its reliance on slaptstick gags (which don't communicate well through sprites), even by M&L standards. I remember cringing a lot more than while playing the other instalments.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2015, 01:09:54 PM »
I think it is needlessly macabre, to the point it just doesn't feel right.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:11:33 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
I don't know about macabre, but Holli Jolli village and that credits music was definitely shades of Tim Burton.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
The Vim Factory stuff with the Toads attached to trees and having the life sucked out of them was pretty dark.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2015, 04:22:26 PM »
It's the way that the Shroobs were such a force, like a viral infection. They had no empathy--not even among EACH OTHER--and almost nothing resembling a comedic side. I didn't notice it so much when I was 12 but they're scary as hell.

Sure Cackletta was cunning, and her plans actually functioned, and she turned everyone in a college into monsters... but she could be tricked, more than once the heroes of the story just steal back what they wanted and run away from her laughing. That's a tone that works for Mario. You don't get that with the Shroobs. Did you notice that at no point in the narrative do the characters sit down and discuss or think about what the plan is to deal with them? They focus on saving Peach, as if her absence is the only problem, and that works when you're up against Bowser who mostly just takes Peach and leaves everyone alone after that, but here? They're destroying towns and killing people and transforming peaceful creatures into destructive abominations. The player knows scaring them off or beating up the boss won't cut it and they have to be thoroughly exterminated. And if the horrible writing (definitely shades of M. Night Shyamalan) didn't drop an absurd deus ex machina on them, there would not have been a way to do that.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
Now that you mention it, even the Shadow Queen, a demonic entity, has a certain sense of congeniality about her. She's pretty gleeful about her whole 'plunge the world into darkness' shtick, and seems to have a sense of familial comradery with Beldam and Marlyn, who were devoted to her enough to resort to a pretty elaborate and ultimately humanely flawed plan to resurrect her.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2015, 08:50:14 AM »
Good points there, actually... and that final boss music had a pretty dire tone -- it was good, but it made the one in BiS even more exciting.

Print