Print

Author Topic: Best President?  (Read 6809 times)

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 03:46:47 PM »
I had a friend who's related to Herbert Hoover. I know, who cares. After all, Hoover only did so much to solve the depression problem.

But Truman still stands as my favorite. There's something about him that makes me smile from ear to ear.  :)

Mabey it's this picture. Despite a 3-way split in his party, Truman was still able to win the election.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 04:19:55 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »
Well, you know what they say about Hoover.  He's just like the vacuum!  He... he... *ahem*... cleans...

As far as my favorite president goes, I would have to say Taft, because he's HUGE! 
No- not really.  Taft enforced a lot of progressive policies like his predecessor, Roosevelt (actually, more), but was a little too conservative for the turn of the century.
Anyway, my favorite president might just have to be FDR.  He was an excellent president who really tried to help out during the Great Depression with his "alphabet soup" agencies, which probably would have worked in the long run!  (Of course, we will never know considering that it was WWII that ultimately saved us economically).  FDR, overall, was simply awesome at being rational with the U.S., and with pulling his share of the weight during the 1930s (which a certain predecessor didn't do-*cough*Hoover*cough*).

And, despite what some people may think, I do not think that FDR decided to "allow" Pearl Harbor to happen in order to give America that final push onto the world stage.  That seems totally out of character, in my opinion, and I can't see FDR ever doing such a thing. 
Edit:  Okay, I realize that I'm being a little hard on Hoover.  I mean, yes, he was too reliant on American volunteers, and refused to let the federal government get majorly involved with the Great Depression, but I guess he did make an attempt (Reconstruction Finance Corporate was kinda cute). 
"Hoovervilles", though, are just too pitiful to forget.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 04:38:20 PM by The Blue Toad »
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 04:36:20 PM »
FDR was an awesome president. He's about my third favorite overall............I think I'd have to say Abe is my 2nd........with Nixon being the fourth (yes, I DID say Nixon)...........and ol' Teddy at number 5.

My least favorites would include Warren G. Harding and Calvin. They just weren't really good for the job, quite frankly.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 04:38:19 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 04:57:13 PM »
Yeah, Coolidge overall came off as pretty cold.  I mean, he was all for the wealthy and big corporations, which wasn't bad during the twenties, but the guy completely ignored the poor farmers in Illinois who were left fiscally mortified after a great flood! 
But, I actually feel sort of sorry for Harding.  I mean, he wasn't necessarily a bad guy; Harding simply suffered under his horrbile cabinet (Teapot Dome, anyone?), and was overall judged by accords of that, just like Grant.  He did achieve through the Washington Naval Arms Conference, reducing ship tonnage of France, Italy, Great Britain, Japan, and U.S. after WWI (which was a pleasant, wishful way to avoid future war), but that obviously didn't work out so well...
So... Harding can't really be called "one of the good ones"... but I feel pity more than disdain for him.   
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Print