Print

Author Topic: Mormons  (Read 34446 times)

« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2007, 12:43:47 AM »
And speaking of mobs, why is everyone all up in arms against Mormons?  You don't see anyone gunning the pope down like they did Joseph Smith!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 12:47:27 AM by Stem Johnson »
Who looked at a horse and saw the potential for glue?  That's a brainstorm in my book.

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2007, 12:46:17 AM »
I heard that Mormons get to wear magic underwear, is this true?

Actually, that is halfway true.  The underwear is not "magic", but it is symbolic.  It's one of the stranger things about us. 
Who looked at a horse and saw the potential for glue?  That's a brainstorm in my book.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2007, 01:41:51 AM »
Wasn't one religion topic bad enough? Now we have this one too.
That was a joke.

Johnny_Macho

• was_shot three_times
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2007, 08:37:38 AM »
hey, did anyone see that episode of south park when stan went to that morman family's house?
"I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, But I'm a little glowing friend, But really I'm not actually your friend, But I am" - They Might Be Giants, 'Birdhouse in your soul'

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2007, 09:51:46 AM »
The Bible and the Book of Mormon share nothing alike. They are two totally different things.
I made that statement in response to Presidente, who argued the opposite. And besides, whether they're identical or not, the whole point is that there's no logic behind anything in religious texts (excluiding moral guidelines, which are normally spot-on). That's why they call it "faith".
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
Faith is believing in something when there is no logic behind it.
Let's burn some stuff and call it science.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »
Is there an echo in here?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »
Stupidness or brainwashing is believing in something when there is no logic behind it.

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2007, 06:29:27 PM »
Definition of Faith:

1 a: allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1): fidelity to one's promises (2): sincerity of intentions2 a (1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust3: something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

Definition of Brainwashing:

1 : a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas 2 : persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2007, 06:31:24 PM »
It must be true then.  The dictionary said so.

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2007, 06:33:19 PM »
I'm not implicating anything by giving out the dictionary definitions, other than Brainwashing does not mean believing in something for which there is no proof/logic. I can logically say, however, that I was not brainwashed into Christianity. It is a choice that I made alone, and nothing anyone can say will serve to alter that choice. So even if someone says "You are brainwashed because you believe in something that can't be proven," I can say to them "I was not brainwashed, this is my choice and my choice alone."
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 06:45:53 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2007, 06:36:05 PM »
What about stupidity?  Does that mean believing in something when there is no proof behind it?

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2007, 06:37:16 PM »
Definitions of stupidity on the Web:

A poor ability to understand or to profit from experience.
A stupid mistake .

Nope. Faith is the only definition that I can find that states "Believing in something when there is no proof or logic."

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2007, 06:46:15 PM »
Thank you Internet and PaperLuigi.

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2007, 09:13:35 PM »
If you're the same religion as your parents, you're pretty much a brainwash victim.

Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but being drug repeatedly to church/wherever repeatedly at a young age before your brain is good at thinking at all is a perfect brainwash situation.

Brainwashing is teaching that you didn't sign up for.

"a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas" -- Exactly what's happening, except you don't have any of the basic beliefs when you're born so that part of the def. doesn't apply.

"persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship" -- The entire job of pastors/rabbis/ministers/missionaries.

B-R-A-I-N-W-A-S-H
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:15:43 PM by Lizard Dude »

Print