Print

Author Topic: Not Really Video Games...but Games Nonetheless  (Read 12729 times)

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »
I just posted about it in another thread but I thought I'd give it its own thread here.

Is anyone here a veteran of the old-school education programs for computers? Maybe you had them at school on those old Macs that everyone had in their labs or maybe you had them at home...or both!

Here were the ones I had at home...I used to have these on this really old Macintosh called a Macintosh LC, most schools seemed to have these computers too. I actually used that computer up until five years ago or so.

Math Blaster: There were four games in this one, they taught the four basic operations. One of the games was solving problems to build a rocket. There was another where you had to find the missing addend (or whatever number was in the middle) and got points you could use to shoot outer space trash. Another game was finding the right numbers to make the problem work called "Recycler" and there was the arcade-type game where you guided the little guy up to the right answer and also got to eat the food for extra points. I had this at school and at home.

Oregon Trail: I think everyone born in the 1980s knows about this game. A simulation of the westward migration which usually took the place of that chapter in your social studies book. You could cross rivers, hunt, and die of cholera. Lots of fun times with this game. I had this at school and at home.

Carmen Sandiego: If I recall, the computer game came out before the TV show did. I used to watch the TV show when I came home from school. It was always fun plus the singing group on there, Rockapella, was really cool. The game has you chasing a crook from country to country based on a clue, just like the TV show. You got a desk encyclopedia with it so you could look up anything you didn't know. I had the "where in time" one, my school had the "where in America" one in elementary school and "where in the world" in middle school. There was also a Europe one at middle school which I think was the hardest, probably because schools in the US don't teach much world history. The time one had to be my favorite.

Number Munchers: Another classic from what I hear. This one had prime numbers, factors, multiples, etc and you were this little green dude who had to eat the right answers while not eating the wrong ones or running into the monsters. My school had this one as did I. At my school there was also a game just like it but you had to eat vowel sounds, we used this in our phonics units in first grade all the time (the math one is a lot more advanced though--even someone in Algebra I could probably use it to brush up on their factors).

OutNumbered: An arcade type math game where you walked through a TV station and had to solve word problems. You also had to shoot this guy who looked like a TV who would give you regular math problems and code. The code matched up against what you got for solving word problems and you had to pick a combination to figure out where the bad guy was. This one was really addicting. I played it first at the computer camp my school had one summer (that just about everyone from my class went to) and got it for my birthday later that year.

Kid Pix: Not really a game but my school had it. I had it too. Basically you drew pictures and could add these awesome rubber stamp things to them and you also had some cool erasers like a firecracker. There was an addon pack you could get to make movies from your pictures.

Battle Chess: I learned to play chess with this one. It plays just like chess but when you capture someone they fight. This started out as a black and white program but they later came out with a color version that had music. My school didn't have this one but I did.

Windows Solitaire: Good time waster from high school. I lost so many minutes of productivity when we had computer classes with this one. There's a Mac version too but it's called Klondike and costs ten bucks or so to register it.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:06:59 PM »
<3 Math Rescue and Word Rescue.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »
Go Oregon Trail!

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »
Fripples 4 Life!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »
Yes, I remember and love Oregon Trail, I had a few Math Blaster games, I was usually terrible at Carmen Sandiego, and I remember wasting a lot of time in Kid Pix.

And as ShadowBrain has brought up, Thinkin' Things was also a fun series, I've played all three versions.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »
I remember PC genius it was a magazine you got every week or so and you got a disk with it.
i can not remember when it was out does anyone know. queeny     

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 03:10:46 PM »
You forgot the Jumpstart series.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
I loved Jumpstart! My favorite was Jumpstart 4th Grade.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »
I remember PC genius it was a magazine you got every week or so and you got a disk with it.
i can not remember when it was out does anyone know. queeny     
you know instead of putting "queeny" at the end of all of your post, just set it as a sig.
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Mmm.. Fond memories of losing people in Oregon Trail. After naming them something funny, it became even funnier (We is lost!).

I recall being ok at Carmen Sandiego, but I always ended up getting a warrant for the wrong person. Usually one or two things would be off. The sad thing is that it didin't matter if you solved a mystery at school: they didn't have the handbook for answering the question that pops up after the fact.

Fond, but random, memories of Math Blaster and Kid Pix. I'm not sure which one was more fun, but I recall liking Math Blaster alot because the little guy could fly (in the arcade like game). Kid Pix was alot of fun also, but I usually just clicked on things to hear them make the noises.. and I loved to draw.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »
Hmm... I played Oregon Trail a lot, and I don't ever recall a time when someone in my party got lost. Weird.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 04:16:24 PM »
Oregon Trail and Math Blaster were awesome.

Also, I remember I had this Dinosaur 3D thing that was pretty cool.
Ditto used Machop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
There was this thing in my second (or third) grade classroom that could, like, phonetically read aloud whatever you typed. I was particularly frustrated about a passage I was typing describing a pig being attacked by a giant spider, as my inept spelling skills (at the time) created the sound byte: "Atta-kid by a gi-ant spi-der".
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »
This brings back way too many memories. I played Carmen Sandiego, JumpStart 1st Grade, and Math Blaster more than any real game back when I was a little kid. Sadly, my innocence was shattered forever when Secret of the Stolen Drums came out.
every

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »
There was this thing in my second (or third) grade classroom that could, like, phonetically read aloud whatever you typed. I was particularly frustrated about a passage I was typing describing a pig being attacked by a giant spider, as my inept spelling skills (at the time) created the sound byte: "Atta-kid by a gi-ant spi-der".
Your talking about Microsoft Narrator aren't you?
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Print