Print

Author Topic: Ouija boards  (Read 7721 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« on: May 01, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »
Have you ever used one? Did you have any outlandish experiences? Are you a skeptic or a believer? 
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 06:06:59 PM »
I recall my sisters having one before. At one point our cousin was over and they were using it for awhile. When they finished they just left it there. Just for kicks, I moved the thingy while they were away. When they came back to it they all freaked out.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:57:30 PM »
What are they?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »
They're these boards with numbers and letters all over them (the name comes from a combination of the French and German words for "yes). You ask a question, put your hands on this heart-shaped thing, and ghosts are supposed to move it around and spell out what they want to say. There's been some interesting incidents that have allegedly happened with them, but I've never seen one in real life.

"I have a friend who's on the Ouija Board of Directors."

How do the Mario Bros. talk to Boos? They use a Weegee board! (paraphrased from an old issue of NP)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
Whether you are communicating with spirits is opinion. I have also read crazy stories, but have yet to have an interesting experience. The other day me and my buddy used a Ouija board and nothing really happened. Later I found out that you have to put both of your fingers on the planchette, but honestly if we were actually "talking to spirits" I don't think finger quantity would be a problem. 
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 07:31:24 PM »
In the opinion of moi, it's a load of donkey crap, but I'm like that with anything involving "spirits" and such.
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:18:56 PM »

Thats all I know about Ouija Boards.

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »
About sums it up perfectly!

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »
I've read before a theory put out that when the mover thing is moving, what's happening is that you and your friends have subconscious body motions. You're not consciously moving it, but subconsciously push it just a little. In that sense, all of the messages come from your own head. So if you think ask the 'spirit' if it wants to hurt you, the answer reflects what you and your friends think -- if you're both really scared of it the mover might point to yes.

However, it really freaks some people out. Spiritualists always warn about how you can get possessed or release a ghost/spirit into your house or even a poltergeist. I was surprised. Once I told my dad that I thought it would be fun to get one and he got really freaked out like I hadn't seen before. The same guy that taught me not to be afraid of monsters and stuff. Weird.

I figure you should probably just skip it. That way, if it's real, you don't get any kind of bad consequence, and if it's fake, you didn't waste your time. On a side note, Did you know that Parker Brothers makes and sells Ouija Boards? Their slogan is something like "It's just a game...right?"
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 06:37:51 AM »
I've read before a theory put out that when the mover thing is moving, what's happening is that you and your friends have subconscious body motions. You're not consciously moving it, but subconsciously push it just a little. In that sense, all of the messages come from your own head. So if you think ask the 'spirit' if it wants to hurt you, the answer reflects what you and your friends think -- if you're both really scared of it the mover might point to yes.
It's amazing that doesn't go without saying... now if you closed your eyes or didn't even touch the planchette (that word keeps making me think of Cate Blanchette) and it was all over the place, then you may have something.

"Oh, great Ouija board, will I ever grow up to be president?"

"G...O...D...F...O...R...B--"

"Next time I want an editorial, I'll ask you, you stupid board!"

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 07:00:41 AM »
Whether you are communicating with spirits is opinion.

So... there's no such thing as truth then?

Either spirits are talking to you or they are not. They are not speaking to you because you think they are. Your thoughts are irrelevant. You can believe all you want that spirits are talking to you, but that doesn't mean that they are.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:53:39 PM »
I think "the spirits" have better things to do. Unless, of course, there's jobs in the afterlife, and one of them is going around bugging people who use Ouija boards. I mean, that's the only way you'd get me to do something like that if I was dead.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »
I'm suddenly reminded of the beginning of Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders. "Tonight, on Old Lady Gets Killed..."

Also, Koopaslaya is right.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 08:53:40 PM »
Oh man! That was one of the best episodes of MST3K ever!

...wasn't that the episode that had the educational short with "Coily the Spring Sprite?"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 10:12:58 PM »
No, Coily was from the short before Squirm (1012). Same season, though.

"The name's Mikesocksy! The Mike's socks sprite they call me!"
"Come on, give me back my socks."
"No Mike's socks! Dee-doo!"
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print