Print

Author Topic: The homeless  (Read 18018 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« on: June 03, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »
Got any in your town? We got some and if you spend enough time downtown you know their names too. Theres...

Crazy Jim - Rumored Vietnam vet who sits outside the Tobacco Bowl and mutters to himself.
Dollah Bill - Guy in a orange and green coat and a backpack who walks around all the time and turns up in random places.
Titanic extra - There's a hobo who claims that he was an extra in Titanic and they screwed him over.
Valentine - Sits in various places in the ped mall with a cardboard sign. 
??? - Scary dude who wears a wrestling singlet and seems to store things in it. He also wraps pantyhose around his head and walks around with a dazed expression.

Anyway, I always try to lend some change. I've had a few discussions with some of the hobos and some are actually pretty intelligent. I recommend striking up a conversation with one of the sometime. They have many experiences and lots to say.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:23:36 PM »
We got tons

Some notable ones:

Scary Sherry - A guy (...or girl? I have no idea) who rides a bike around and thinks it's a cop. It constantly tries to scream at people and stuff.
The cat man? - Some guy with a beard who walks around the streets with a cat on his shoulder.
Man who wants quarters - A guy who always asks people for quarters
Ditto used Machop!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:13:09 PM »
Change?   Spare some change?
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:02:05 PM »
Change?   Spare some change?

why are the new south park episodes so bad?
Ditto used Machop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:49:15 PM »
I can only think of one person. I only strongly suspect he's homeless, as he's very often at the bowling alley and is... not in his right mind. He'll be talking to you about who-knows-what as if carrying on a full conversation with a good friend, and you might not even know it because he might do it when your back is turned. He doesn't seem to be a bad man in any way--he's kind of like the bowling alley's resident grandpa. If he ever catches me in a "conversation" and I notice, I just smile and nod, even though I don't think it makes much a difference. I don't know how, but he gets by (maybe he gets free burgers from the snack bar--if so, he's pretty lucky for a homeless person).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:51:40 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:53:21 PM »
When I went to church on Sunday, my Pastor spoke about a homeless woman in our town. I can't exactly remember her name, but she's been without a home for quite a while. She said it was our duty to help her out in anyway possible. Our town is pretty small, so I didn't really expect any homeless people, but I was wrong. I feel bad for her.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:24:18 AM »
I had a homeless encounter today. I walked out of a gas station holding two bottles of Diet Pepsi. A homeless man on the sidewalk stops me as I start to leave.

"Hey! Can I have one of your smokes?"

...I should have given him one. If he could light the thing, he deserved it.
No! I don't want that!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:58:28 AM »
I've seen plenty of homeless people, but none of them are near where I live. Most of them I see either going to and from school or in the newspaper.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 06:20:14 AM »
we have a few homeless people in my city. but what I don't get if they can walk around the whole city why can't they get a job or do something.
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 06:55:45 AM »
My parents saw a bum brawl once.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »
I don't understand why so many people are homeless. Why don't they just get off their butts and get a job?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:51 AM »
^

*Begin Whiny Executive Voice*
"Because they're not qualified!"
*End Whiny Executive Voice*

Living in the hick town that I do, I don't think there are any homeless people.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:49:36 AM »
I don't understand why so many people are homeless. Why don't they just get off their butts and get a job?
thats what I just said
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »
It's hard to get a job with no residence or driver's license or place to shower.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »
It's hard to get a job with no residence or driver's license or place to shower.

Or when their families abandon or abuse them when they are young, so they are forced out on the streets, or when there is no help available to those who are hopelessly lost in drug and or alcohol addiction.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
One of my friends found a homeless guy sleeping on his front lawn.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
I don't know if this person is homeless, but they are certainly pretty strange.

Every summer down on the beach, he walks all the way up and all the way down the shore, flaunting himself. He has a rainbow colored beard and rainbow colored hair, and usually wears a dress and high heels and carries a purse. Sometimes he wears a festive hat. One year he had a little dog with him that also had a rainbow colored dye job on it's fur collar and cuffs. We don't know where he lives, which leads me to believe he's homeless. Sometimes people try to take pictures with him. He gladly obliges. I really don't know who he is or what his deal is, and I probably never will.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
You don't have to have a driver's license- you can just go down to the DMV and get an ID card.
As for having a place to live/shower, they can tell the employer that they will be able to get a place after they are hired. I'm sure someone would be nice enough to hire them.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who isn't even trying to get a job or something. Also, alot of "homeless" people are fakes. They just pretend to be homeless, and use the change people give them to buy drugs or alcohol. So, I never give them anything.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »
-Bad homelife when they were younger and/or made some bad choices
-Circumstances are stacked against them
-Just plain lazy

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
There's this one guy, pretty standard, claims he was in a veteran in Vietnam. Funny thing is, he claims he's "stranded" on the curb near Wal-Mart that he stands at, despite the fact he only appears there on weekends.

There's also an elderly guy who stands out by a Chinese restaurant right near where I live and makes hand gestures at passing cars. Usually he waves, but he's been known to make the hitchhiking sign, and flip people off. I haven't seen him in a few months, and I'm a little worried; he's like family to me, even though I've never spoken to him and am afraid of him.

This one guy sleeps in the parking lots of various nearby fast food joints; he rotates between Wendy's, Burger King and Taco Bell, since they're all really close to each other. I once saw him making out with a lady outside Burger King, using nearby cars for support, which is awesome. Another time he was dancing to what I think was "The Brainwasher" by Daft Punk outside Taco Bell, which is even awesomer (I was very tempted to dance along with him).
every

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
There's this homeless guy who lives on the roof of Walgreens.

On the subject of the homeless, I have a very interesting story to tell, but it might offend some.
EDIT: I'll tell it anyways. Back when I was in D.C. with some friends as part of a school-sponsored field trip, we decided it would be fun to shine a laser pointer from our hotel room on the homeless outside our hotel late at night. It was funny for about 15 minutes, but we decided to stop. About 5 minutes later, we start again, because there's this drunk homeless woman outside. We keep shining it for another 10 minutes, then we see a homeless guy take out a camera and take a picture. About 45 minutes later, security shows up to our room, and confiscates the laser pointer.

And that was the epic tale of our laser pointer shenanigens.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:07:35 PM by CrzyFlmngMnkyHead »
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »
About 45 minutes later, security shows up to our room, and confiscates the laser pointer.

Ooh, son! They got security on you!

Are you sure that drunk homeless woman wasn't a zombie? (five spacebucks to whoever gets the reference)
every

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »
Uh, well, the "queens" in Dead Rising kind of look like laser dots on zombies. Plus someone's taking a picture of it!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen a homeless guy once, and it was through a car window.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »
You must be very sheltered, or live in a really nice neighborhood.
every

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 02:21:18 PM »
In my very small semi-town, I have never seen a homeless. However, My full town is made up 3 small towns/villages. They are New Hampton, Slate Hill and Sterling Forest. Plus, I can easily walk/ride my bike down to a city. I hope I see one once.

TEM

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »
Is "homeless" a noun now? What's going on here?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »
Or when it's literally against the law to live anywhere because you got put on the sex offender list for urinating in public. And good luck even getting a job with a felony on your record. Wonder why so many criminals commit more crimes? Because the law prevents them from EVER being re-instituted into society. Ever.

Also mental illness has a lot to do with it.

As for this thread, I just got to Hartford a week ago and I already saw Harmonica Man. He stands outside the McDonald's across the street and plays harmonica. There's supposedly another one who plays saxophone... which makes me wonder how a homeless man can afford a saxophone.
~I.S.~

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 10:35:59 PM »
He probably had the saxophone before he was homeless. But how does he afford a steady supply of reeds? The world is full of mystery.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 11:07:10 PM »
Or when it's literally against the law to live anywhere because you got put on the sex offender list for urinating in public.

Whoah whoah whoah WHAT

You can get put on a sex offender list for peeing in public? As in, side of the road public, or childrens' birthday party public, or what?

Also, it's legal to live somewhere if you're a registered sex offender, you just have to go around and tell everyone you are so it's impossible to have a non-awkward conversation with people.
every

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 12:18:07 AM »
I don't think that's true, at least in my state. I've had friends arrested for peeing on stuff like police cars and they aren't on the sex offender list (as far as I know). I mean, half the local bar scene should be repeat sex offenders by now...

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 12:49:11 AM »
Is "homeless" a noun now? What's going on here?
"We learned about the British [people]."
"I generally avoid the radioactive [people]."
"My church used to get together and make sacked lunches for the homeless [people]."

Insane Steve is absolutely right. Some homeless people have made bad decisions and keep on making them when they can afford it, but some simply have no one to lean on while they try to rebuild themselves, and there are those who are mentally ill with nobody there to look after them. Unfortunately for the sadder stories, the druggies are mostly the only ones you hear about.

Oh, and, all the statements in quotation marks are true for me. The homeless-feeding stopped when Father Tim left. I learned a lot when we'd do that--many of them have their heads on straight, wouldn't take a second lunch if offered, and make the most of life.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 12:57:14 AM »
I don't think there are any in my hometown.  Seen a few in the cities, but not in the small community that I live in.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »
Well, I don't take the time to find out/come up with "names" of the oddballs wandering my streets, but I've seen my fair share of nuts. My brother says that he went to the library for school once and there was some raggedy-looking guy nearby making faces at the kids in his class. Also, there's some dude with... well, I think I've seen him once or twice from a distance, but I think he's got, like, Twin Virus-style white dreadlocks, though it might be just long, white hair.

I've had the unfortunate experience of coming across someone in public with Tourette's twice (once was in Strawberry fields in New York, which kind of ruined the moment). I can't say for sure if they were homeless, but I'd figure.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »
My town is so-called "upper-class" and I've never been out of state in my life, therefore I never saw a homeless person.

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
There was  agreat singer sometime ago in my town, but then she is disappeared..that's a shame.
Normally there aren't poors in my town, luckily. In the town of my university there is woman who always put her hands on your face to have money and I can't stand her. The strangest thing then is that I have heard this woman have very reach brother, but he doesn't want to help her...
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

TEM

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »
I don't think there are any in my hometown.  Seen a few in the cities, but not in the small community that I live in.

Homeless people or sex offenders?

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
There are a lot of homeless people downtown. A lot of them hang out in the library. Sometimes they talk to me, and I just kind of nod and listen regretfully. It makes me feel really weird. Also, a lot of those people with signs on the corner aren't really poor. I'm pretty sure a lot of them get paid to do it. Once I saw a guy on the side of the road, and across the street under a tree was a big water cooler, and another guy lying in the shade waiting to switch places with the guy across the street.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »
Yeah, libraries are normally huge hangout for homeless people and/or bums no matter where you live. In a lot of places, though, the library folks have a problem with it because the homeless guys smell really bad or use the computers to... um "get off" on stuff.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
A saw a homeless guy "get off" on a bus once.

As in, he reached his destination, then got off the bus.

Ba-dum-psssh.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »
"JURISPRUDENCE FETISHIST GETS OFF ON TECHNICALITY"

--The Onion

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 07:42:22 AM »
I remember a homeless guy who couldn't read stopped me in the library and made me read him a letter.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »
Yes. A homeless is a person w/o a home. And my Mom has seen a homeless before.

TEM

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 02:14:46 PM »
Saying it with "a" in front still doesn't sound right to me.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2008, 10:24:15 PM »
"An homeless person"?

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2008, 10:25:48 PM »
I usually say "hobo". I don't know if that's offensive or not. It shouldn't be.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2008, 10:43:33 PM »
Well, "bum" is probably the word you're looking for. Here's the official classifications:

Hobo: Wanders the land, maybe getting a job here and there but usually supporting themself off of the wild. Not as common these days, given the rise in laziness and various anti-vagabond laws.

Tramp: "Just in it for the hobo lifestyle." Goes about homeless, but doesn't really work.

Bum: Sits in one place and would rather beg than work. Normally with a cardboard sign.

Yegg: So low, they steal from fellow homeless people.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2008, 11:48:30 PM »
I plan on becoming a vagabond one day. Then I'll grow a sweet white-boy afro, learn to play guitar, and start Wolfmother.
every

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »
You know I wouldn't mind being a vagabond either. Travel from city to city, livin' off dah fatta dah land. But apparently there are anti-vagabond laws. Are there?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2008, 08:48:07 AM »
I always thought being a vagabond would be cool. I even heard they were considered an American icon.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »
Yeah, the image of a sack-of-crap-on-a-stick-carrying, can-of-beans-eating, train-jumping-on-and-subsequently-sleeping-in hobo was iconic back in the day. Of course today it's less feasible due to lack of coal trains with open boxcars, wooded areas devoid of human life, and the public's current view of homeless people. On the other hand, now you've got hitchhiking, which certainly adds to the adventure with the thrilling possibility of being picked up by a cereal killer.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2008, 11:25:53 AM »
I am a cereal killer. Cap'N Crunch is my personal favorite.

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2008, 03:17:38 PM »
time for definitions

Serial Killer: one who kills mercilessly

Cereal Killer: one who eats cereal, therefore killing it
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2008, 06:13:08 PM »
Cereal killers are currently the greatest threat to hobos. I'm being super cereal.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2008, 06:21:18 PM »
Actually
Serial Killer: Killer more than once
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2008, 07:37:11 PM »
I would never, ever want to be a vagabond, ever. I can't go up to random people for favors and I also hate instability in life.

The sex offender thing is 100% true, it all depends on where you're caught. I was once sent to jail for minor consumption, while literally everyone I know who has been caught drunk underage just got sent home, at worst forced to dump their booze. It took me 6 months and about $700 to fix it when I was caught because I got caught in Hickville Tourist Trap, Indiana.

Same idea for urinating in public, most of the time you won't get anything more than a slap on the wrist but rarely your life gets ruined to the point where suicide becomes a viable option.

There are only two events that could happen to me in life where I'd consider killing myself. Being put on the sex offender list is one of them.
~I.S.~

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2008, 02:11:30 AM »
What's the other one? Paralysis?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »
Being caught shopping for video games at Wal-Mart.
every

Print