Print

Author Topic: Can Old PC games work on newer systems  (Read 14945 times)

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 11:21:36 PM »
I've recently discovered DOSBox, myself.  It's brought my childhood back to life.

So take THAT, Windows!
Go Moon!

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
I would say no.  I tried to install Flash MX 2004 on my Vista and it didn't work.  I tried Torque Game Engine and it didn't work.  I tried other various applications and games and most all of them won't install and the ones that did just run slow and choppy.  Vista's are a HUGE waste of money unless your not going to install any of your applications or games and plan on buying newer versions of everything you have.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
Angle bracket quotes do not work that way. I take it you've never been to our IRC channel?

I have before. I don't really care how it looks, as long as it gets the point cross.

And you know what's funny? How 98.9% things are indeed compatible with Vista, it's just that no one ever heard of "Properties" and "Run in Compatibilty for: (insert each and every Windows version here, besides Me)

.1% remainder is for things such as the Nintendo Wi-fi USB connector

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 07:06:22 PM »
.1% remainder is for things such as the Nintendo Wi-fi USB connector
I don't understand.  What makes that 0.1% so special?  Also, Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector has been working for Vista since October.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 07:21:03 PM »
There's this game called Dungeon Keeper, and it runs fine on my computer, except for the sound. The sound will glitch, and when the voice talks to you, it sounds like he's slow and underwater (no offense to anybody who may be slow or underwater who will read this post).

It does run great on my wife's computer, though, which is weird because both computers are from around the same time period, give or take a year..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 08:15:22 PM »
How 98.9% things are indeed compatible with Vista, it's just that no one ever heard of "Properties" and "Run in Compatibilty for:

The run compatibility for feature might let you use your program on the Vista but like I said, it's slow, and choppy.

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 06:26:38 AM »
The reason why the people who said they don't have Vista and said that was because you can activate it on XP that way. I've heard it automatically activates Compatability Mode if you set something, but I can't verify that because I'm running XP right now.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 07:22:47 AM »
There is something that you can download free off of I believe Microsoft's website called virtual box.  Virtual Box allows you to have Any type of operating system (except mactintosh) on your Vista.  So if you want your old XP on the vista you could get virtual box and get a copy of the Windows XP at pretty much any computer store (although if you bought the XP you own not used from a electronics store you should have some backup disks of your OS.  Anyways you can set aside a certain amount of storage from your vista for your XP and the copy the XP on it and there.  You have a Vista and a xp on one cpu.

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »
Actually, the name is Microsoft Virtual PC (if I'm thinking of what you're thinking).  It's an emulator... and suddenly I'm wondering how many emulators you could stack on one another... Windows Vista emulating Win98 running ZSNES playing the Gradius minigame in Mystical Ninja.

I'm sure somebody else could do better.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 08:59:15 AM »
Linux on the GameCube running Windows 7-type WINE running Vista in a virtual machine emulating XP running DOSBox in Windows 2000 compatibility mode to run the DOS version of ZSNES... playing Mario All-Stars. With that MadCatz PS2 controller made to look like an NES controller.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 02:15:35 PM »
It is indeed called Virtual PC (Sun's open source competitor is called VirtualBox, though).  And I have fooled around with running emulators in it, although not doing the Gradius minigame.  Also, it's not really much of an emulator, as its code is native to the processor.  And that's any type of x86 operating system it can run, so OS X yes (must be hacked, though), AmigaOS no (but then you pretty much have that covered with either UAE or MorphOS).

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 05:52:38 PM »
I never said that everything works better, nor am I even saying that Vista is better, but it does have a better track record for some really old games and I can't tell what you were saying there, because I'm guessing "Command Doom, Conquer" is actually some broken up Command & Conquer and Doom?  If so, Doom and Quake I can verify are DOS games and they shouldn't be expected to run properly and there are source ports to help with that.

My mistake. I did mean Command and Conquer: First Decade and Doom as two separate games. Source ports are hard to find and not easy to setup.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »
My experience with source ports is the exact opposite.

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 06:38:23 AM »
I probably can't use Virtual Box because XP was installed straight onto the computer in The Great Crash of 2006 (The licence for my computer is actually someone else.)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 01:23:45 AM »
That is irrelevant.  VirtualBox is free software.

Print