Print

Author Topic: The Afterlife  (Read 23244 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »
I'll say again Turtlekid. Unless you want to be judged yourself, I suggest you stop passing judgement on mankind.
I don't think general statements like that count as judgment. We shouldn't specifically point people out and say they're absolutely going to heaven or hell, since we can't see their hearts, but most standard Christian theology says pretty clearly that if someone dies without having their sins forgiven, they go to hell. It's an if-then statement, and one that's very important if it's true.

I might get into the existence of the soul debate when I have a little more time.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »
Reading the last page, I was going to agree with LD until he made me depressed. :(

Although I don't want to blame him; the DNA's just using him as part of their evil scheme.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
I'll say again Turtlekid. Unless you want to be judged yourself, I suggest you stop passing judgement on mankind.

PL, though you're probably not reading this, (and believe me, I ask this honestly), how can you claim to be a Christian and not hold to one of our most basic doctrines that those who aren't regenerate will go to Hell?  It's not being judgmental.  It's stating a fact.  It may not be a nice fact, or may not be something you want to hear, but that doesn't make it judgmental.

Also, I'm not saying that everyone is sinful; as CrossEyed7 said, we can't see into a man's heart.  I'm saying that those that are sinful will go to Hell.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 09:02:05 AM »
If heavens filled with people like you, then off to hell I gladly go!

La la la la la~

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »
those who aren't regenerate will go to Hell?

I read this as "those who don't regenerate will go to hell", and was like, "What, so I'm a bad person because I don't have Wolverine's powers?"

But on to more important things...

It's not being judgmental.  It's stating a fact. 

You seem pretty sure of yourself. Have you died yet? For all you (or I) know, maybe the reality is that bad people get rewarded and good people get punished. Or everybody goes to the same place. Or there is no afterlife at all. Or you get reincarnated. Maybe it's different for each person.

And no, the bible doesn't count as proof; it's, for all intents and purposes, a storybook, until and unless you have solid, scientific proof to back it up.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »
Not only that, but it's a storybook that's been copied off of storybooks that came before it, as well as being full of storied that have become skewed through word of mouth.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
And through three or four translations and countless transcriptions and monks editing it, saying "hmm, I think this is what they meant" and writing a new version that reflects what they thought.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 06:21:12 PM »
Have you actually done any research on the Bible, or are you just repeating an amalgam of all the negative things you've ever heard about it, with no regard to the academic integrity of the original sources? Do you realize how foolish you sound like that?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 07:15:14 PM »
I realize that newer editions have attempted to create better translations from the original Greek, but there are still older, widely used editions where the translators couldn't figure out what the text meant and just had to fill in their best guess. My previous post came off more negative than I intended.
That was a joke.

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 07:30:55 PM »
Even if our modern Bible conveys 100% accurately the original crazy crap people wrote down thousands of years ago, it's still crazy crap people wrote down thousands of years ago!

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 08:41:08 PM »
Even if our modern Bible conveys 100% accurately the original crazy crap people wrote down thousands of years ago, it's still crazy crap people wrote down thousands of years ago!

Then, I suppose, a Mark Twain novel can have no truth to it. The original authors wrote in stories to convey truths of humanity. Much of the Bible was written as a myth. For example, Genesis chapters 1-11. The original authors probably wrote it sometime between 1020 and 930 BC. They knew full well that it did not contain the exact details of creation. That was not the author's intent. Rather, the authors were attempting to show human life as it should be, and humanity's vanity. The folly of our pride and the source of our unhappiness: sin. They did not attempt to convey an exact history-- anyone who tells you that is plain wrong. They looked around their world and saw so much hate and evil, and their goal was to explain it. The truth of the Bible is not in its precise figures or its exact locations, but rather in its treatment of the human person.

It seems, however, with your worldview, there can be no such thing as truth because you have reduced us to mechanistic beings. In your materialistic thought, there can be not truth, because we can't even know anything: everything is an illusion.

We need to return to a study of the natural world around us that we can once again understand ourselves as people and not as machines.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
Thing is, Koop, you understand it as a philosophical allegory where many people (in this thread?) think it's supposed to all be history. And that's where you run into trouble.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »
And no, the bible doesn't count as proof; it's, for all intents and purposes, a storybook, until and unless you have solid, scientific proof to back it up.

So is evolution, and that's being taught in schools across the nation.  It has nothing to do with whether it's true or not (although the Bible is true).  It has to do with whether it's a truth people want to hear.  Atheism came about because of rebels who didn't like the idea that they had to answer to a higher authority.

Forgive me, I thought I was dealing with someone who had enough sense to know that morals don't change.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 02:08:08 PM »
Morals don't, but people's knowledge of how the world works does. That's why atheism came about, because people decided that believing in something that might actually not exist based on research was pointless.

PS: Evolution does have some scientific evidence, just not enough to propel it past "theory" status.

PPS: Please explain how the the Bible is "true" without saying "because God said so" or something like that. I want raw evidence.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
PPS: Please explain how the the Bible is "true" without saying "because God said so" or something like that. I want raw evidence.

But that would be like reeely hard.
every

Print