Print

Author Topic: Time doesn't exist  (Read 53140 times)

« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »
Perhaps the cartoon was referring to the fact that many Christians label peaceful yet vocal atheists as militant.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2010, 01:35:44 AM »
“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.”
~Stephen Hawking

And the man is totally right. A computer virus is as alive and has as much free will as we do.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
LD, do you have a per-month quota on how many times you must remind us all that humans have no free will?
every

« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2010, 04:14:32 PM »
Well, one correct parallel drawn by Hawking's statement is that both we and viruses were designed by higher powers.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2010, 03:56:05 PM »
A few days ago, the latest Scientific American came in at work and smack dab on the cover it said, "Does TIME really exist?"

« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
Care to summarize their stance?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »
I read it, and the title was misleading. They're just saying you should stop subscribing to TIME magazine since it's, quote, "not even real at all and our magazine is totally better than this thing that doesn't even exist". There was no evidence to support the claim. Very disappointing.
every

« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2010, 11:33:59 PM »
I know I'll regret bumping this, but...

One way in which I suppose Shyguy92's argument makes sense is that time can't truly be measured, gauged, observed, or followed. A clock's hands merely circle over arbitrary digits, at a pace set to correspond with natural cycles. Increments of "time" (minutes, days, years...) are based on Earth's physical position in relation to the sun, rather than on time itself. Given this, what, if anything, would happen if time ceased to exist? If time has no discernible presence, how are we to tell if it has stopped, or even if it ever existed to begin with?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »
Except it does have discernible presence. Take for instance the GPS satellites which have to have their clocks reset every so often because time runs a tiny bit faster out in the microgravity above Earth, and if they didn't reset their clocks then their map projections would become inaccurate and stuff.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
Time could beat the [dukar] out of space.
every

Print