Print

Author Topic: Time doesn't exist  (Read 53135 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2010, 11:08:40 PM »
Time exists.
At least until eZines completely take over.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:19 PM »
Is PaperLuigi defying the big bang theory?
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
I support the Infinite Universe Theory. The Big Bang Theory suggests that the universe was created.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
Which is what? The only stuff about "Infinite Universe Theory" coming up on a search is some whack non-scientific junk.

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2010, 03:42:36 PM »
Here.

As a man of science though, I am perfectly happy to be proven wrong. My knowledge of theories regarding the origin of the universe is very small.

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
"The Big Bang Theory of the origin of the universe is wildly popular largely because most people follow religious tradition in assuming Creation."

Uhh, no. The Big Bang Theory is wildly popular because everything about the observable universe points to it. Galaxies moving away from each other uniformly in all directions, the cosmic background radiation, and a lot of other more convoluted stuff. You say your knowledge is small, but this is like middle-school level science book stuff man.

Why there was a big bang, what happened before it, are there other "universes", that stuff's still pretty much up in the air as far as people having evidence for their theories, but the fact that the universe as we know it directly resulted from the rapid expansion of a superhot and superdense point of matter is extremely well documented, observationally and experimentally supported. You can't just say: I don't think there was a big bang because I don't think there is a creator god.

I recommend taking an astronomy class or reading a book to get info on the origins of the universe instead of a WikiAnswers page.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
Dorf causes far more arguments than he finishes.
every

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »
Why there was a big bang, what happened before it, are there other "universes", that stuff's still pretty much up in the air as far as people having evidence for their theories

Okay, that makes sense. So you accept the Big Bang Theory on the basis that we can observe the expansion of the universe. You also accept that the universe is finite, meaning it had a beginning and will have an end; furthermore, there are other potential causes for the the Big Bang other than a creator god. Thank you for proving me wrong.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:04:04 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »
It's a relief to remember that such vehement ex-Christians as PL usually come back to their senses after a while.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
-______________-

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »
d^_____________^b

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
I believe the universe is finite, but unbound.  Meaning, it has a certain amount of energy/matter, but continues to expand time and space.  It began at the big bang, but won't "end" except to say it will get very cold and its particle very far apart.  Possibly even ripping the particles themselves to pieces.  I'm no expert on the matter though.  I stopped paying close attention shortly after reading about the accelerated expansion and dark energy/matter.  The explanation at the time seemed like a huge fudge factor to me.  LD, you have any books to suggest to catch me up?  On the other hand, I have read a little about quantum foam and parallel universes.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 08:34:26 PM »
humans think they have free will (they actually don't)

While scouring this thread for an explanation as to why Glorb bumped it, I found this mind-numbingly presumptuous philosophical nugget. Please, elaborate.

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »
I'll tell you what I believe. Lizard Dude may or may not agree with me.

An alternative view to free will is determinism, which states that every event, including human cognition, behavior, decision, and action, is causally determined by prior events. At some point, determinism asserts that our "decisions" are not caused by free will, but by chemicals located in the brain. It is purely naturalistic and does not go so far as to claim that the brain/body is separate from the mind.

For example, if I am hungry, I do not eat because I want to. I eat because said chemicals "tell" me to eat. Most Christians, I assume, deny determinism because it suggests that we have no souls.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:22:21 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »
WeeGee, there's not much to elaborate on. Humans are made of matter like everything else and that matter is just following the laws of physics. Fancy machines. There's no magic. Does a computer have free will? No, it just follows complicated programming. Humans, and all life, is the same. Just much much more complex.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
~Arthur C. Clarke

"Or life."
~Lizard P. Dude

Print