Print

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG: Gamecube Controller?  (Read 17473 times)

Hacker Pikachu 25

• Technicolor nightmare
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:45:15 PM »
Alright, so I'm downloading this game, and wanted to know what problems the Gamecube controller has, because it's my only one. Also, is there anything I should know before I start playing? Like, missalbes and stat relations, stuff like that? Not technicolor nightmare!
Klonoa is the best game I've played YET!!!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:48:05 AM »
Well, the buttons are all assigned to the button with the same letter on the GC controller, so you'll have to crane your thumb around to be able to get Y and B together to run and jump (and there is at least one spot where you absolutely have to run to be able to make a jump). It's not as bad here as in Super Mario World, and you do get used to it after a while, but it's still a bit unnatural. You'll also have to memorize the buttons by name rather than by position, or the control display in battle might throw you off.

The only missable I know of is a hidden treasure chest at the beginning: the first time you're in the castle in the Mushroom Kingdom with Toad, and Toad's leading you to the throne room, run forward and jump on his head in the first, longest room, then jump onto the wall above the door. I don't think you get anything for finding all the hidden chests in the game, and I don't recall that one in particular having anything unique in it, but if you're a completionist, it'll annoy you if you don't get it, because there's absolutely no other time in the entire game that you can get it. There's probably some more missables, but that's the only one I know off the top of my head.

As for stats, every time a character levels up you get to further increase their HP, their physical attack and defense, or their magic attack and defense. Each time, one of them will provide a bigger boost than it would normally. Normally, the physical and magic boosts are only one point, so if one of them is a two or three point boost, that's the bigger one this level; if not, then HP is the bigger one. You'll probably get a feel for it after a while. You could just pick one every time if you want to try and max that stat out, but rotating and going for the biggest one will give you the most well-rounded characters.

Also, toward the beginning of the game, there will be two times when you leave the Mushroom Kingdom with your new party member (the same one both times) to go on to another area. Make sure to visit the item store before leaving both times, especially the second. If you're paying close attention to the dialogue, you'll know there's a plot device you need to pick up there. If you miss it, you'll be very confused much later on in the game (but you won't be permanently stuck or anything; just go back to the Mushroom Kingdom item store if you're at a point about halfway through the game where you can't go on). A surprisingly large portion of people completely forget this.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:01:10 AM »
As for stats, every time a character levels up you get to further increase their HP, their physical attack and defense, or their magic attack and defense. Each time, one of them will provide a bigger boost than it would normally. Normally, the physical and magic boosts are only one point, so if one of them is a two or three point boost, that's the bigger one this level; if not, then HP is the bigger one. You'll probably get a feel for it after a while. You could just pick one every time if you want to try and max that stat out, but rotating and going for the biggest one will give you the most well-rounded characters.

Yeah, looking for the biggest one is a great idea. I hate choosing HP, because I feel like that is all that levels up, but I'm told that it's a bonus, and the other stats do level up too.

It should be noted that sometimes, a stat increase won't be just 3 or 4 points. I have seen some as high as 5 or 6 (on top of how ever much a character gains naturally).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
Also, toward the beginning of the game, there will be two times when you leave the Mushroom Kingdom with your new party member (the same one both times) to go on to another area. Make sure to visit the item store before leaving both times, especially the second. If you're paying close attention to the dialogue, you'll know there's a plot device you need to pick up there. If you miss it, you'll be very confused much later on in the game (but you won't be permanently stuck or anything; just go back to the Mushroom Kingdom item store if you're at a point about halfway through the game where you can't go on). A surprisingly large portion of people completely forget this.

Had me stuck for the longest effin' time.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:16:22 PM »
It's recommended that you purchase a Classic Controller for SNES games, for reasons which CrossEyed explained quite concisely. I'm almost certain that Nintendo deliberately made the Gamecube controller virtually incompatible with downloaded SNES games in an attempt to squeeze an extra twenty bucks out of hapless gamers.

As for missables, the game is teeming with 'em. They include countless bits of one-time dialogue, a Metroid cameo, and a hidden treasure chest which can only be reached on your first visit to Toadstool's Castle.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Hacker Pikachu 25

• Technicolor nightmare
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
Ah. I've grown to the GC, due to being raised when the N64 splashed, and have gotten my third Star Piece using it. Um, what was in that chest? Wasn't it a frog coin? :S I might make a new file for 100% completion. And I want Bowser. Just to see if ♥♪!? gets used as lumber.
Klonoa is the best game I've played YET!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
I'm almost certain that Nintendo deliberately made the Gamecube controller virtually incompatible with downloaded SNES games in an attempt to squeeze an extra twenty bucks out of hapless gamers.
Yes, that was totally their master plan when they designed the GCN face buttons. "In ten years we will make so much money."

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »
Let me rephrase that:

I'm almost certain that Nintendo matched the buttons by name rather than by location when SNES games were released on VC.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »
Of course the Classic Controller is the obvious choice.  My only problem with it is that it's tethered to the Wiimote (at the bottom).  I've tried several third-party wireless versions, but Nintendo's Classic Controller beats all of them.  Other good solutions are the Super Famicom Wii controller (I really like it) or the new Classic Controller Pro (Haven't tried on yet), but both are imports.  

Edit:  If you could remap buttons the HORI SNES GCN controller would work too.  I use it to play some GB/GBC/GBA games on my GCN. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 05:14:16 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 05:50:47 PM »
I'd rather have a Classic Controller which plugs directly into a GCN port. Why waste batteries on games which don't even incorporate motion controls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:00:01 PM »
Wireless control?

Also buy some rechargeable batteries.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »
I never understood why wireless controllers were so great.  I mean, if you're close enough to the screen to see the game well, then you might as well be using a controller with a cord.  Not that I dislike wireless controllers, but...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »
Agreed. As long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay, a wired controller poses basically no downsides. Perhaps Chupperson enjoys playing from the washroom.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
As long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay, a wired controller poses basically no downsides. Perhaps Chupperson enjoys playing from the washroom.
My couch is nearly 20 feet away from my TV.  Also, if you every see your own toddler trip over a cord and do a face plant with the floor you might see a downside. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »
My only wireless controllers are Wii controllers, but I see no reason to use dedicated wired Wii controllers when plugging them into the remote works just fine. All my other controllers are wired and most have extension cords, because I see stuff like Wavebirds as a waste especially since they don't have rumble.
That was a joke.

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
if you every see your own toddler trip over a cord and do a face plant with the floor you might see a downside. 

That is exactly why I use the Wiimote and attachments whenever possible. Once the twins and baby #3 are of walking age, I fear they will trip on my cords.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 03:02:51 PM »
Same here. I have no Wavebird. To me wireless controllers are pointless. I heard from several people that you can use two candles instead a of a Wiimote sensor bar becasue of the infrared signal is picked up via the candles.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »
How would the candles send input from the controllers to the game, though?

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »
The sensor bar sends no data; it's just a row of infrared lights that lets the controller know where it's pointing. All sensing and data transmission is handled by the remote.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 05:49:54 PM »
That still wouldn't make the Wiimote not wireless, though.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
CE7, please explain.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 06:38:47 PM »
I don't actually know what we're talking about anymore. I'm confused.

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »
nensondubois's non sequitur about sensor bars veered this thread into mass confusion.

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »
Candles!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 09:49:57 PM »
True, but I was trying to get my head around the double negative in CE7's sentence as it related it to the current discussion.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 10:01:45 PM »
That still wouldn't make the Wiimote not wireless, though.

Same here... If it wouldn't make it not wireless, then it wouldn't not make it wireless, and thus it would make it wireless... I think.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
A recap:

Weegee: Wireless controllers are wasteful.
Luigison: Wireless controllers save children.
Toad: I have several children, so this is of interest to me.
Nenson: I agree. Wireless controllers are pointless. You can use candles instead.
CrossEyed7: But even with the candles, the Wiimote is still wireless.
Luigison: Third base.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 10:51:37 PM »
Wait; Who's on first?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 12:05:21 AM »
I like how nenson said that the infrared signal is picked up via the candles. I suppose that's not logically incorrect, since by way of the candles, the wiimote is getting location information via infrared detection.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 12:14:52 AM »
I tried Google Images for an effective "third base" image, but none of the pictures I got seemed relevant.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:18 AM »
Sorry for the bump, but there is a product you should avoid:

Never buy the Nyko ChargeStation. About 2 weeks after I got it, the first charging light indicator for the port started flickering even when the remote was placed securely. There's nothing impeding the current flow, and the contact points are clean and shiny. Eventually, the first port completely died and the second port started flickering as well. I can usually have it work in the second port if I put it *juuuuuuuust* right like fitting a SNES or N64 cartridge in the systems, but typically, it will start flickering, or completely die for a few seconds and come back on.

Avoid it.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
I own one of those (the Nyko ChargeStation) and have never had a single problem out of it. Perhaps you just got a defective one? Have you tried another one since, perchance? A friend of mine also has one, and he never had a problem either. We both have used either one to charge Wiimotes when we were visiting one another.

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 09:05:05 PM »
I'm going to say no to the wireless controllers for GameCube here and also no to rechargeable for Wii remotes (or any AA device). I usually wait until there's a pack of 36-48 AA batteries on sale and just buy them instead. I've had miserable luck with rechargeables in everything that uses AAs.

My problem with the Wavebird is the extra bulk on it. I like the feel of the standard GameCube controller but the Wavebird just feels like one of those cheesy knockoff controllers despite being a Nintendo product.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 12:34:07 AM »
You're totally buying the wrong rechargeable batteries then. Get some nice Energizer or Duracell 2500mAh batteries and a good charger. They last a lot longer than your standard (especially bargain) AAs.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 11:56:47 PM »
Well, Toad, it is definitely a possibility I got a defective one, but I couldn't take it back or some crap because it was Wal-Mart purchased... and Wal-Mart's usually stupid about everything... especially returns.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print