Print

Author Topic: Determinism vs. Free Will  (Read 13816 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »
I'm a big advocate of free will. I just have a lot of faith in the human spirit and mind. I really believe we can choose our own destinies. Other cliched lines. Etc...
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »
Anyone willing to argue that single celled organisms have free will?  Or is it just stimulus/response? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 04:00:46 PM »
Well, I can safely say I don't believe outcomes can be predetermined. There's far too many factors within the problem itself, as well as unlimited outside factors that can change the actual outcome.

As humans, we are at the top of the food chain, we're the dominant species. Can you honestly say we were destined to one day claim the Earth? The ability to think outside the box and decide for ourselves what to do with our existence has helped us push forward with our evolution as a civilization. Whole economies, societies, technology. I won't say there's no way this wasn't meant to happen, but it seems highly doubtful to me, considering how in certain time prerios, change was hindered by a number of factors.

Ok, that's my 2 cents. Your turn.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
"While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.  You can, for example, never foretell what any one man will be up to, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to.  Individuals vary, but percentages remain constant.  So says the statistician."  ~Arthur Conan Doyle The Complete Sherlock Holmes

Relating this to the particle/wave duality of photons in the famous double-slit experiment:  Quantum mechanics does not tell us which slit an individual particle will go through, but the resulting wave interference pattern is certain.  Maybe the individual photon can pick which slit to go through, but the average is determined. 

Could we have both ways?  Individuals have free will, but crowds actions are determined?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »
I don't see why we even need this discussion. Each person is different and it's pretty much impossible to categorize how life works/doesn't work, at least in this plane of existance or whatever. We have far more important things to think on; even if we did figure the whole thing out, our lives would not be changed one iota. In other words,

Just live your life
Ay ay, ay ay, ay oh
every

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
Of course we don't "need" this conversation.  We could just be banding rocks together or picking fleas of one another, but one never knows where a line of discussion might lead.  I am of the opinion that we all change all the time.  I'm no longer the naive little boy who believed the imaginary characters my parents taught me.  Nor am I the same person I was yesterday.  We live and we learn.  Of course we may never learn the absolute answer to this particular discussion, but to follow your philosophy would lead to no new discoveries about ourselves or the world we live in. 

On a lighter, but more relevant note here are some Rush lyrics to mull over:

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance take,
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance.

A planet of playthings,
We dance on the strings
Of powers we cannot perceive
"The stars aren't aligned,
Or the gods are malign..."
Blame is better to give than receive.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

There are those who think that they were dealt a losing hand,
The cards were stacked against them; they weren't born in Lotusland.

All preordained
A prisoner in chains
A victim of venomous fate.
Kicked in the face,
You can't pray for a place
In heaven's unearthly estate.
I will choose freewill.

Each of us
A cell of awareness
Imperfect and incomplete.
Genetic blends
With uncertain ends
On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet.

I will choose freewill.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:18:58 AM by Luigison »

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 11:12:45 AM »
Here's how I feel about it.

Quote from: Scientists
We have proven that humans have true free will!

"Oh." *plays games*

Alternatively,

Quote from: Scientists
We have proven that humans are slaves to sensory input and chemical reactions!

"Oh." *plays games*

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 04:29:51 PM »
Could we have both ways?  Individuals have free will, but crowds actions are determined?

Isn't that essentially the formula for life?

Yes, demographics exist because as people we choose to associate with groups that share traits and beliefs with each other, creating a sense of security with one another. One may find himself influenced by that group simply because he feels that action is secure because it is approved by the group. That doesn't mean that the individual will always do what the group mentality does. He may very well break off and do his own thing if he starts feeling uncomfortable with the groups actions.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Really, what some call "determinism" is just one component of why me make the decisions we do through our own free will. An absolutely deterministic reality would be one in which everyone breathes, blinks, and thinks simultaneously.

I feel as though I should be contributing something original to this discussion instead of paraphrasing what Mr. Wiggles just said... meh.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
I haven't believed in absolute determinism for about two decades.  Back than I thought that if one knew everything for an instance s/he would know everything before and after that instance. 

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
You analyze things deep enough, you'll be able to predict anything--just ask Dr. Manhatten.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 08:27:50 PM »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 02:21:13 PM »
Is free will really free will without some determinism? If I can't point to a reason for why I choose the things I do, do I really choose them, or is my mind just flipping a coin?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
But coin flipping is not random.  As a teenager I found a way to flip a coin the same way almost every time and now it's been proven:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1697475

Also, this goes back to my original reasoning:  http://bigthink.com/ideas/37871

(Sorry to revive an old topic, but I think this is one that could use more discussion especially in light of other discussions on this board and the fact that we've had several new active member since this thread was made.)

Edit:  New members might also want to read http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=13249.0;all and http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=12097.0 and the even older http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=12097.0  I'm not trying to make this a religious discussion, but determinism and/or freewill are often part of religious discussions.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:47:45 PM by Luigison »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »
What's your religion is older than itself :J

I don't believe in randomness, and my full faith in cause and effect has led me to rule out free will. But there's enough of an illusion of it that it's all good, and the mentality that you can't choose and shouldn't make an effort to do so is simply a cause that'll create different (and probably less favorable) effects compared to the effects of you having the idea that you can choose, you get me?

On a similar topic, those fictions where there's an enormous multiverse where every time someone is offered a choice that universe splits in two and that in each, the person takes the opposite action (I believe the DC Universe works this way) really bother me because what are the odds that, no matter how many times a day you or anyone you know is offered the chance to kill just for the heck of it, it doesn't happen

Theoretically every time you're in the kitchen with your friend and happen to see a knife there should be a 50/50 chance that you will mercilessly slice and dice 'em regardless of your personality or mental state, this universe must just have the most incredible luck that things instead tend to make sense in it
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print