Print

Author Topic: Obama wins a Nobel Peace Prize  (Read 18628 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:00:40 AM »
Link

Only the third sitting US President to win one -- the first was Theodore Roosevelt, who ended the Russo-Japanese War, and the second was Woodrow Wilson, who... um... got us into World War I after promising not to and threw over 100,000 US citizens who criticized the war into prison. And started the League of Nations, I guess, because that worked out real well.

Has Obama done enough to deserve one yet? Is the Nobel Peace Prize even still relevant today?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:19:24 AM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:22:59 AM »
He isn't really doing much to end the war in Afghanistan so no, I don't think he deserves it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:27:46 AM »
Is there a stated reason for him getting it?

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:34:19 AM »
Supposedly for "promoting peace and nuclear disarmament."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:38:35 AM »
Quote from: AP
President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:03:25 AM »
I was going to make a thread about this if there wasn't one already when I logged in. 

More to the point, I think it's rather ridiculous.  He hasn't really accomplished anything, good or bad (putting aside how scary some of the things he wants to accomplish are) yet. 

So that'd be a "no."
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:17:51 AM »
While I do commemorate him for outreaching to the Muslim world and curbing nuclear proliferation, I really don't think he's done enough to warrant an award.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »
Well, he may deserve it later in his term, but right now he hasn't really done that much to deserve it.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »
You don't give an award to someone for their potential. You give to them for actually accomplishing something.

I am not happy about this.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:44 AM »
Is the Nobel Peace Prize even still relevant today?
What does that mean? It's just some dudez saying, "You win!" It's as relevant as it ever was. Was it ever relevant?

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
Obama doesn't deserve this at all.

For his "vision" of "hope" at the beginning of his Presidency? Ha! He's been a total letdown all year and WILL be voted out in 2012.

Yikes! Tv_Themes goes political.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »
LD is right, the Nobel Peace Prize was never worth jack [dukar].

My favorite part about this story though is that the nomination deadline was February 1st. So they all nominated him a week after he was sworn in. I mean, if you really like Obama and really think he's done a good job reaching out to the rest of the world, then yeah you could sorta make a case for him winning by saying "Wow! Look at all the great things he's done in his first 8 months!". But one week into his term, he had done nothing besides say he plans on closing Guantanamo. Really. That's all they had to base his nomination off of. I just wish we knew what justification there was for nominating him in the first place, other than the rest of the world has a crush on him.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 12:52:26 PM »
For his "vision" of "hope" at the beginning of his Presidency? Ha! He's been a total letdown all year and WILL be voted out in 2012.

You try fixing the [dukar] Bush got us in in one year.

EDIT: Franklin D. Roosevelt practically killed himself trying to get us out of the Great Depression. You people act like Obama's going to fix everything in a year.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:14:32 PM by PaperLuigi »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
Yeah, I think Obama getting the Nobel is kind of stupid and definitely part of Obama Fever (namely, people who be lovin' up on Barack's junk without actually knowing what he does). He certainly has the capacity to do something Nobel-worthy, but has actually yet to.

But LD's right, the Nobel is pretty much worth jack.

Also,

Sarcasm quotes: For when you don't have anything to say but want to make it look like you do.
every

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »
Also, Bobby Jindal (if he runs) will not beat Obama in 2012...if Americans have any sense that is. The dude says creationism is "the very best science."

Reminds me of myself back in the day. Back when I literally knew nothing about science, evolution, etc.

Print