Poll

You can own only one:

Xbox 360
23 (76.7%)
PlayStation 3
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Print

Author Topic: 360 versus PS3  (Read 78726 times)

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
If you like PS3 L2/R2 your ergonomic controller sense is so far out of whack I don't even know what to say. They're absolutely abhorrent upside-down mush pads. They make the N64 stick look like masterstroke of design.

The 360 sticks are objectively the best ever made because it's the only controller where the designers were smart enough to make the sticks concave, so your thumb can actually stay in them through any movement. Additionally, the PlayStation sticks' range of movement is much too large. They're bad for the same reason the small Cube d-pad was good. Finally, and this is hard to explain, the cross marking on the top of the 360 stick makes it very easy to tell which of the 8-directions you're pointing in. The featureless bulbous heads of the PlayStation sticks make it much more vague as to where specifically you're pointing. I know this makes me sound like a n00b at sticking, but if you've used both controllers extensively you'll know the feeling I mean.

I don't think many of you have used both controllers extensively, so you should trust my expertise and not just defend the one controller you always use.

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
The controller is familiar, but it's far worse. The 360's sticks are lightyears beyond anyone else's and the PS3 L2/R2 are horrific abominations of Satan.

As for the online, have fun playing with all those mic-less people and using the horrific Trophy comparison UI.

I agree on the L2/R2 triggers. The PS2 version was perfect, how did they drop the ball so hard with the Dualshock 3?

As for online, I am indeed having fun not having to listen to [bundle of sticks]s, just as I don't talk to offline opponents. As for the trophies, I've never given two [dukar]s about those things and I doubt I ever will unless I can earn PSN points through those things or something. I have no need for digital gold stickers.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »
Incidentally, the DS Lite D-pad is maybe a millimeter larger than the GCN's D-pad, and I'm quite comfortable with both.

I had a PS2 controller with concave sticks, but I have no idea what happened to it. Too bad, since I liked that controller, and I'd probably be more comfortable with it when playing games like Melty Blood than I am with a Dual Shock 2. (Granted, I'd also be a lot more comfortable with a D-pad, or if it actually let you configure keyboard controls like you'd expect from a fighting game on PC.)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:48 PM »
I have a PS1 Analog Controller and it has concave sticks. Not that it matters or anything; just thought I'd throw it out there.
I use 360 sticks pretty frequently at work and don't really notice anything better about them, so don't assume I have no experience in the matter.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »
You use them to test games, though, not for extended gameplay sessions. Huge difference.

Also, I heart short-throw sticks forever.

Also also, I found a pre-analog PSX controller while I was looking for that PS2 controller, and it's weird trying to hold this thing. It's so tiny compared to all these other post-SNES controllers.

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2010, 11:54:10 PM »
it's weird trying to hold this thing. It's so tiny compared to all these other

That's what Warp's girlfriend sa--...

...Bad Weegee. Anyway, what if Sony had stuck with its "boomerang" design?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:51:26 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2010, 12:20:11 AM »
If Sony had used that controller design, the PS3 would've probably died more quickly than the Sega Saturn. I couldn't see a single part of that controller's design being good.

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2010, 01:10:26 AM »
I think I understand what LD is talking about with the range of motion for Playstation controllers. I seem to remember using the D-pad on my PS2 whenever I could because the sticks were too loose and hard to control. I'm glad the 360's sticks are so much better, it has cured me of my chronic Tony Hawk Thumb.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »
This is what I was referring to when I mentioned short-throw sticks. To use a fighting game example, and to phrase that example in doujin fighting game terms, smaller range of motion (shorter throw) = more ease in executing 623s, 236s, and 214s.

Also, I'd rather use the PlayStation D-pad in a lot of cases due to it not being the PlayStation analog stick, but something like Venom's 2141236-S Overdrive attack in Guilty Gear XX is physically painful to input on pretty much any cross-shaped D-pad.

(Since it's come up in the past: to anyone having difficulty understanding those number sequences, look at your keypad.)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »
Sony D-pad is the devil, I will give you that.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »
I always rather liked the Playstation sticks' range of motion...

:|
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2010, 08:18:55 PM »
PS360

Yeah, I've got nothing else to add to this. I haven't played games for either system, though I've seen a game played. The one game with the zombies and the reporter in the mall..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
Dead Rising.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2010, 10:19:51 AM »
I turned on my PS3 last night to check if there had been a patch for the bug-riddled mess that is God of War Collection (nope) and it remound me of three PS3 advantages:

• PS3 has a superior boot-up sound.
  • PS3 has better buttons on the console itself. They're like magic touch-sensors of joy. Easily one of my favorite things about the PS3. Unfortunately, in Sony's quest to systematically destroy everything cool about their system (like backwards compatability), the new model doesn't have them.
  • PS3 is better for watching movies. Big reason: Blu-ray. Medium reason: It's much quieter. Small reason: Better selection in their movie d/l store.
  • Actually, being quieter should get its own listing. I seriously, seriously appreciate silent electronics. 360 is a lot more bearable once they added disc-installing but it's still way too close to leaf-blower level.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
I kinda don't understand the "I don't need a mic anyway" defense.

It's not like if you have a mic you're being forced out of your comfort zone of not talking to people. You can mute players in each game, turn your mic down, and/or can toggle your mic on & off.

It makes games about 700% more fun when you can get a hold of your buddies and be like "HOLY CRAP did you see that??? run dude! hey man, can you cover me for like two seconds while I make a break for Bravo? OH [dukar]!!!!! hahaha im dead" rather than, the Wii, for example, where you get to hear the TV quietly playing and maybe your fan in the background. You can't keep in contact with your friends in-game, you can't share hilariously awesome moments with each other, and it makes the gameplay extremely grating.... gets boring quick (unless you talk to your friend on a 360 if he has one). By the way: Wii Speak and its six compatible games don't count.

Personally, I don't talk in the games very much since I'm trying to concentrate. I usually have my mic on just in case someone says, "Hey Porsche, there's a dude comin' up on your right" or if we start talking about cars, other games, or whatever.

The Wii's communication is like sending a letter to a penpal in Japan.
The 360's communication is like talking to that same penpal instantly on Ventrilo/Skype/etc.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print