Print

Author Topic: General Animation Topic  (Read 28727 times)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »
The cartoons Rupert, Arthur, Baby Muppets, and Little Bear were ultra boring eye-gougingly awful cartoons with no redeemable features. If you liked these shows as a child you must be the most boring, easily engaged type of person on the planet.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
How does one dislike Muppet Babies?
Also Arthur had shining moments of golden comedy.
That was a joke.

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
ehhh, the only one I liked was Muppet Babies man, and honestly it wasn't boring at all.  I wouldn't be surprised if it led to the development of some poor childs ADHD.
I only watch [adult swim]

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
Also Arthur had shining moments of golden comedy.

Yes, they're called YouTube Poops.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2010, 01:09:48 AM »
No, the actual cartoon was miles better.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2010, 07:29:49 AM »
Well, I was fairly Arthur-esque as a child, so that contributed to my enjoyment of the books/series.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »
..Baby Muppets.. ultra boring eye-gougingly awful cartoons with no redeemable features. If you liked these shows as a child you must be the most boring, easily engaged type of person on the planet.

Baby Muppets. Lol.

Anyway, I disagree with that. Muppet Babies was great! It possibly taught bunches of kids how to use thier imaginations, and it was a fun show to do so with. A lot better than some of the shows today that try to teach kids that..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:17 AM »
I agree totally.  If you remember correctly everything that took place on the show, really happened just in that one room the nursery.  Not to mention their integration of actual film into the story.
I only watch [adult swim]

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
I resent the idea that I would have needed to be taught how to use my imagination. Sheesh.
I still enjoyed Muppet Babies.
That was a joke.

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 11:32:25 AM »
I used to watch Muppet Babies a lot as a kid, probably for lack of anything else on. Of course, the episode I remember most was the one with the spoof of Nintendo games. Miss Piggy ninja-flipping her way through the Donkey Kong stage, Gonzo saying "It not how you play the game, it's whether I win and you lose that matters", and so on. I heard somewhere that the chance of Muppet Babies being released on DVD is zero because they'd have to get licenses for all the video clips they used. But I wonder: if it's fair use to use a few seconds of something, then I thought Muppet Babies always used short clips of everything, so maybe a lot of it would fall under fair use. I don't know, wishful thinking. If nothing else, the show seemed to make good use out of the clips they used.

And I saw Muppet Babies before I was even aware of the Muppets, so in a way I was able to see them grow up. Gonzo was always my favorite character.

They have the whole episode up on YouTube if you're feeling nostalgic, it's called "It's Only Pretendo". I like it more than when Doug did its Nintendo spoof called "Doug's Lost Weekend" where Doug was playing Space Munks for hours on a Super Pretendo. But then, that more accurately reflected my weekends.

...hmm, maybe that's why I liked Donkey Kong '94 so much, I could ninja-flip through the levels just like Piggy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:42:40 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »
My favorite cartoon would have to be the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was like the perfect blend of action, comedy, and cheese.
Also, the recent '87 series / '03 series crossover was hilarious, even though I don't like the new series.

Probably my second favorite would be Kim Possible. It also is a good combination of comedy and action.

I watched Nickelodeon all the time as a kid. Ren & Stimpy, and Rocko's Modern Life are my favorite nicktoons.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is pure awesomeness.

I really liked the 90s Spider-man series. I also really like The Spectacular Spider-man.

I'm enjoying the 90s X-men series now, but for some reason I thought it was boring as a kid.

Phineas and Ferb is very funny. It's amazing how they can basically reuse the same formula over and over, but still keep it feeling fresh and hilarious.

And of course, I like Looney Tunes. Who doesn't?

Let's see...what else...Pinky and the Brain,  the Mario cartoons... that's all I can recall at the moment.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2010, 08:17:50 PM »
Oh yeah, the Adventures of Tin-Tin. That is, whenever I wasn't bored to death with the seriousness of whatever mission they were on. I just watched it for Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus.

And I remember seeing "Pingu" on some animation-collection show called Small World or something like that.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »
I LOVED PINGU

I can honestly recall watching Pingu from about age three or four... Its stop-motion animation was delightful.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »
Does anyone have a animated thing they liked because of the animation?

Ren & Stimpy. They really got the hang of it (animation-wise) during it's second season. The lip-sync was amazing at times. Pretty much the best animated show made for television in my opinion. What I find interesting about most TV cartoons is that you can see which episodes were produced earliest in the production schedule (and which episodes that had the biggest budgets) while on Ren & Stimpy episodes just got better and better as the show went on (until it's dreaded 3rd season when the creator was given the boot). It saddens me a bit that Ren & Stimpy has only gotten passing mentions in this thread.

I also love theatrical cartoons, like the ones from Disney and WarnerBros. Some Anime too. I think Excel Saga was mentioned. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is also pretty good with some fantastic animation in certain episodes.

As a tyke I also grew up on the "toy-commercial" cartoons like TMNT and Transformers, but none of those holds up very well today.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
I love that post. I was thinking of mentioning Ren & Stimpy, but no one seemed to be interested in talking about good animation.

Print