Poll

Which was better?

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
18 (81.8%)
Sega Genesis
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Super Nintendo vs. Sega  (Read 22463 times)

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself, Glorb.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »
SNES all the way.
Sure.

Nintendo has always focused on making family games, as for Sega, they have made games JUST for the money.

Where has it got them?
Don't fool yourself into thinking that Nintendo isn't only motivated by money.  I don't think I need to remind anyone else here that a lot of long-time Nintendo customers feel rather betrayed of late because of Nintendo's tendency to go for the easy sell.

It got Nintendo to be the BIGGEST gaming company currently going.

It got Sega...nothing, seriously, they don't even make gaming systems anymore.

So, SNES is definitely the best.
As I understand it, Sega suffered because they struggled to find a strong competitor to match Nintendo's Mario.  When they did find a winning formula, they deviated so much from that formula with each progressive installment that they dug themselves into a hole.

What does Sega have anymore? Sonic. what does Nintendo have? Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Starfox, Metroid and Donkey Kong.

See the difference?
The number of frachises a company has to its name has nothing to do with how well that company does.  Remember, for a while, Sonic was the popular one of that bunch.  I will concede the point that Sonic now sucks, if you were implying that.  There's no denying that Nintendo has a lot of good franchises, but quantity != quality.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 12:19:26 PM »
Why choose when you have both?  HAHAHAhahahahahAHAHAAHAH!
I only watch [adult swim]

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »
Because so many SNES games are better than so many Genesis games that even if I had the five objectively best games for each system (whatever those games may be) I'd almost certainly still choose the SNES.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
Why choose when you have both?  HAHAHAhahahahahAHAHAAHAH!
Once again the only way to really choose which one is better is to own both and do a personal comparison.

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 12:52:04 PM »
Some of us weren't rich enough to afford two consoles at once. Or some of us didn't care to have both. Or maybe we just weren't sure whether they could be hooked up to the same TV at the same time (if the AVGN can hook up what looks like 20+ consoles to one TV, then anybody can).
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »
Some of us weren't rich enough to afford two consoles at once. Or some of us didn't care to have both.

Some of us still aren't rich enough for multiple consoles, and I honestly didn't care for Sega way back when. I don't know, something about the way they marketed Sonic didn't rub me the right way ("Mario's an old man and moves slowly!" Anybody remember that..?)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
Mario might be old(ish) and move slowly, but Sonic's dead.

But hey, you had to have mudslinging. And I liked that Nintendo Power pointed out that Blast Processing was just a marketing term. Then whoever did the SNES game "Claymates" put some blast processing of their own into it, making Oozy the rat run so fast the stage almost becomes a blur.

I did see the Sega commercial online where it says "Sega Does What Nintendon't". And they show Super Mario Kart in there as an example of a slow game on Nintendo. Um, I've played Super Mario Kart, and those karts go pretty darn fast (not to mention the crazy skidding they do around corners). They probably showed the game at 50cc or just as a race begun.

...and where the heck is the Super Mario RPG American commercial...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:00:02 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 04:04:51 PM »
I liked Earthworm Jim, and I had Ren and Stimpy for sega that was good too.
I only watch [adult swim]

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 07:54:56 PM »
There's an Accomplishment in Dissidia called "Battlegenesis Does". I smiled.
That was a joke.

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 08:55:59 PM »
Yeah, I was amazed at some of the references Dissidia threw at me.

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
As I understand it, Sega suffered because they struggled to find a strong competitor to match Nintendo's Mario.  When they did find a winning formula, they deviated so much from that formula with each progressive installment that they dug themselves into a hole.

No, Sonic's name being driven through the ground has absolutely nothing to do with Sega withdrawing from the hardware market. What killed them was creative differences among the different branches of the company. Seems Sega Japan and Sega of America had polar opposite markets and mindsets which made working together all but impossible.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2010, 09:05:58 PM »
What killed them was PS2 marketing. If that hadn't killed them, the fact that you could create your own Dreamcast discs just by straight burning CDs would have.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
PS2 marketing plus EA Sports screwing them over.

You could create your own PC discs just by straight burning CDs, too.

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
Only for a brief window of time. I suppose there was floppy-copying before that, though.

Regardless, the PC isn't a dedicated game machine. Nor is there only one company manufacturing them. PC would live on even with 100% game piracy (which it probably nearly has lol).

Print