Poll

Which was better?

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
18 (81.8%)
Sega Genesis
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Super Nintendo vs. Sega  (Read 22465 times)

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
Speaking of the Blue Blur's dwindling credibility as a gaming icon, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is set to come out next month. Eughh.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2010, 11:28:03 PM »
Why specifically are you eughhing? Do you know it's bad?

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 12:31:58 AM »
Can I borrow your time machine?

I don't think either system was any less fun than the other, but I seem to recall having more fun with the Snes games than the Sega. Maybe 'cuz most of the kids I knew back then had Snes's..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:59 AM »
Why a time machine? They still exist. Why force an opinion if you're too poor to make an informed decision? Why is everyone so retarded?

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 09:53:10 AM »
In contrast, the Genesis had some great games like Virtual Pinball, Toejam and Earl and Sonic 3 but it didn't have as many good games as the SNES did like Star Fox, Super Metroid and Dirt Trax FX, and Yoshi's Island to name a few.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2010, 05:23:36 PM »
TEM, I think the time machine comment was referring to the guy who has apparently already played Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.
That was a joke.

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »
I was eughhing over Sega cashing in on another gimmick by stuffing Sonic and co. into a one-off kart racer.

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:20 PM »
And here I thought "eughhing" was an Ahh-nold impersonation.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 12:39:04 AM »
How is making a kart racer a "gimmick". It's a basic genre.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »
The act of producing a kart-racing game can be considered a gimmick in and of itself.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 08:49:03 PM »
It cannot. I think overuse of the term "gimmick" has made you people forget what it means. A gimmick is an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal. Gimmicks are a good thing. Gimmicks are innovation and creativity. Somewhere along the line the word got hijacked to mean, "an innovation I don't like for some reason".

When Nintendo made Mario Kart, that was a gimmick. And a good one. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is not a gimmick; it's a straight entry in a well-established genre.

The fact that Banjo and Kazooie are in it is a gimmick.

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »
Lizard Dude just ate you for lunch.

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
A gimmick is an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

Really? Let's just see what the dictionary has to say about that!

...Alright, never mind. Dictionaries aren't very reliable anyway, so let's check what Wikipedia, the infallible wellspring of knowledge, defines the term as:
Quote from: Wikipedia
a gimmick is a quirky feature that distinguishes a product or service without adding any obvious function or value. Thus, a gimmick sells solely on the basis of distinctiveness and may not appeal to the more savvy or shrewd customer.

SUCK IT

...But seriously, in this context, "innovation" and "gimmick" don't overlap. In gaming, gimmicks are employed in place of valuable creative elements. Why put thought into an inventive new game when one can just stuff popular characters into a cookie-cutter formula and watch fans clamour over it, right?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:55:21 PM by Weegee »

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2010, 12:12:43 AM »
What do you think the last inventive new game Sega put thought into was?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2010, 09:17:06 PM »
Well, I'm drawing a blank... but the same can be said for many other developers as well.

It cannot. I think overuse of the term "gimmick" has made you people forget what it means. A gimmick is an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal. Gimmicks are a good thing. Gimmicks are innovation and creativity. Somewhere along the line the word got hijacked to mean, "an innovation I don't like for some reason".
In an almost tangible ironic twist, that is actually how I have been interpreting the term for some time, and this was the rare occasion where I was a little looser with my use of it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print