Poll

Should soda be taxed?

No; the government should regulate calorie intake, but we don't need another tax right now.
No; the government is trying to stick its nose in yet another area it doesn't belong, and we REALLY don't need another tax right now.
Yes; the government should regulate calorie intake.
Yes; let freedom and personal responsibility burn in the fires of a new era!
Print

Author Topic: Tax-a-Cola  (Read 14200 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:53:14 PM »
A tax on soda is now being considered/voted on/passed?  What is this dukar!?

This conservative nutjob is of the opinion that it's the kind of dukar that needs to be heatedly debated (for the first two or so pages, anyway, until it devolves into a beastly flame war which both sides will leave embittered and resentful).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
I think a better idea is to do away with all the subsidies for sugar, corn, and meat products, but since that's not going to happen... 

Of course we've bought our way into this citation by subsidizing an unhealthy diet.  The cheapest foods in America today are full of sugar and/or fat because of our policies protecting such industries.  The American diet is also loaded with meat products because of similar legislation, and such diets are rapidly spreading around the world because of these decades old policies that need to be reversed, but likely never will. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
Don't worry, I plan on starting a revolution to take our freedoms back as well as making the government size very small and limited forever. Protests and votes just don't do enough, apparently. Maybe we should pour all of the soda in the Mississippi River.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:38:59 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »
I find these poll options biased.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
Maybe we should pour all of the soda in the Mississippi River.

"The Mississippi Soda Party"?  I like it.

I find these poll options biased.

There's only one that I put in that was "biased," and I put that in as more of a humorous option; I would be very surprised (and extremely fearful for the future of the country) if anyone took it seriously.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
The second and fourth options both sound rather opinionated, but whatever. Curbing the nation's calorie intake is a good intention, but taxation probably isn't the best way of going about it.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
If this were a "real poll", all four choices would be horribly worded, but I've made some biased joke polls here myself (I think) so I don't really care. I wanted to vote for something like: Yes; it's a good way for the government to get more money while subtly encouraging healthier living (see: cigarettes).

Sidenote: That's improper use of the word dukar in the first post.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »
The second and fourth options both sound rather opinionated, but whatever. Curbing the nation's calorie intake is a good intention, but taxation probably isn't the best way of going about it.

Nor by means of legislation.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
I think we should start taxing religion. :D
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
I'm all for something that will make humans better as a race.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
Curbing the nation's calorie intake is a good intention, but taxation probably isn't the best way of going about it.
It'd be iffy, constitutional-wise. Taxation is really all they can do without getting flack from us, and even now they're getting static about it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
They should be getting a lot more flack for taxing a bunch of stuff that they're not supposed to be taxing; "constitutional-wise," the government is only supposed to pay for a criminal justice system and the military.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
Pop is poisonous and everyone should stop drinking it.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 04:49:08 PM »
Neither regular nor diet pop is bad for you in moderation.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
Modern America doesn't even know what that word means.

Print