Poll

Should soda be taxed?

No; the government should regulate calorie intake, but we don't need another tax right now.
No; the government is trying to stick its nose in yet another area it doesn't belong, and we REALLY don't need another tax right now.
Yes; the government should regulate calorie intake.
Yes; let freedom and personal responsibility burn in the fires of a new era!
Print

Author Topic: Tax-a-Cola  (Read 14205 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:53:14 PM »
A tax on soda is now being considered/voted on/passed?  What is this dukar!?

This conservative nutjob is of the opinion that it's the kind of dukar that needs to be heatedly debated (for the first two or so pages, anyway, until it devolves into a beastly flame war which both sides will leave embittered and resentful).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
I think a better idea is to do away with all the subsidies for sugar, corn, and meat products, but since that's not going to happen... 

Of course we've bought our way into this citation by subsidizing an unhealthy diet.  The cheapest foods in America today are full of sugar and/or fat because of our policies protecting such industries.  The American diet is also loaded with meat products because of similar legislation, and such diets are rapidly spreading around the world because of these decades old policies that need to be reversed, but likely never will. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
Don't worry, I plan on starting a revolution to take our freedoms back as well as making the government size very small and limited forever. Protests and votes just don't do enough, apparently. Maybe we should pour all of the soda in the Mississippi River.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:38:59 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »
I find these poll options biased.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
Maybe we should pour all of the soda in the Mississippi River.

"The Mississippi Soda Party"?  I like it.

I find these poll options biased.

There's only one that I put in that was "biased," and I put that in as more of a humorous option; I would be very surprised (and extremely fearful for the future of the country) if anyone took it seriously.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
The second and fourth options both sound rather opinionated, but whatever. Curbing the nation's calorie intake is a good intention, but taxation probably isn't the best way of going about it.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
If this were a "real poll", all four choices would be horribly worded, but I've made some biased joke polls here myself (I think) so I don't really care. I wanted to vote for something like: Yes; it's a good way for the government to get more money while subtly encouraging healthier living (see: cigarettes).

Sidenote: That's improper use of the word dukar in the first post.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »
The second and fourth options both sound rather opinionated, but whatever. Curbing the nation's calorie intake is a good intention, but taxation probably isn't the best way of going about it.

Nor by means of legislation.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
I think we should start taxing religion. :D
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
I'm all for something that will make humans better as a race.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
Curbing the nation's calorie intake is a good intention, but taxation probably isn't the best way of going about it.
It'd be iffy, constitutional-wise. Taxation is really all they can do without getting flack from us, and even now they're getting static about it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
They should be getting a lot more flack for taxing a bunch of stuff that they're not supposed to be taxing; "constitutional-wise," the government is only supposed to pay for a criminal justice system and the military.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
Pop is poisonous and everyone should stop drinking it.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 04:49:08 PM »
Neither regular nor diet pop is bad for you in moderation.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
Modern America doesn't even know what that word means.

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 06:09:46 PM »
Like SolidShroom, I'm all for a tax that will better us as a human race.

Oh yeah, soda is terrible for you. Diet soda is even worse. Just drink water.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »
Water doesn't have that fizz to it. And like Turtlekid said it's unconstitutional and it must be stopped.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
In all fairness, I've seen Fight Club like 4 times in the past month, so I'm going to think these sorts of things.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »
Water doesn't have that fizz to it.

It also helps you lose weight and speeds up your metabolism.

Denying gays and lesbians the right to marry is unconstitutional. But hey, let's completely ignore that and devote our time and energy to soda.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »
Ugh, I don't like the word "pop" in reference to sodas, but I mean, whatever.

No taxes, please.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »
It also helps you lose weight and speeds up your metabolism.

Denying gays and lesbians the right to marry is unconstitutional. But hey, let's completely ignore that and devote our time and energy to soda.

The government handing out marriage licenses even for straight couples is unconstitutional.  But hey, let's put that in the topic created for it and devote our time and energy to soda.

Like SolidShroom, I'm all for a tax that will better us as a human race.

The problem with forcing a choice made for the sake of betterment is that once it's forced it loses its value, and it's not really betterment; you could force a decision on people, but until they understand the reasoning behind it and have the responsibility to make the choice for themselves, it's not an accomplishment or betterment of any kind.  Besides, who the heck is the government to tell me what will and won't make me a better person?

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »
The government handing out marriage licenses even for straight couples is unconstitutional. 

Where in the constitution is that stated?

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 03:45:34 AM »
He's going to say that marriage is a religious institution, so it violates separation of church and state.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
LOL

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »
He's going to say that marriage is a religious institution, so it violates separation of church and state.

Oh yeah, that's right. We've had this argument before. :/

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 01:50:53 PM »

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 07:03:26 PM »
What possessed Apple to put 1963's "Don't Bother Me" on an EP alongside a bunch of Rubber Soul/Revolver-era tunes?

Yes, this thread is now about the Beatles.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
Jesus ****ing ballsacks, guys. Why exactly would you want the government to (indirectly) decide for us what we can eat? Just because you don't like soda doesn't mean it should cost more.
every

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »

Yes, this thread is now about the Beatles.

Well, Taxman, namely.

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
The government's thought process: "Soda is in the same league as tabacco and alcohol in that it will kill you, so we should levy a sin tax on it.

Also, taxing soda will make us look progressive like Sweden."

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
They should go ahead and tax everything in California since our budget is non-existent and we're knee deep in debt. That money's got to come out of somewhere right?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »
America should take a page out of its peoples' books. That is, it should use its own fat ass (the collective fat asses of its people) to support itself.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 09:50:54 PM »
I should probably rename myself Taxman.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
I can't quote it because it's too far back in the thread, but whoever said "modern America doesn't even know what that word means" in referring to "moderation" is right on the button.  Yes, self control (one of the Biblical Fruits of the Spirit) has surely gone right out the window by now, if we collectively ever practiced it in the first place.  Look at the guy who sued McDonalds for making him fat.  It wasn't their fault, you moron.  You simply had no willpower to practice moderation.  Now that I got that off my chest...taxing soda sounds like another way for the government to line its pockets with the dollars of gluttonous consumers.  Anyway, that's all I have to say on this.   
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
Yes, self control (one of the Biblical Fruits of the Spirit) has surely gone right out the window by now 

Implying that one needs religion to practice moderation.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 06:40:14 PM »
Implying that one needs religion to practice moderation.

You're right, PL.  My bad, I misspoke there.  I should have said "moderation" has gone out the window.  I wasn't trying to turn this into a religious debate.  I still stand by what I said, though (the whole "modern America doesn't know the meaning of moderation" thing).     
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print