Print

Author Topic: Texas declares historical textbooks to be "biased to the left"  (Read 12485 times)

« on: March 13, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
So they took the liberty of changing it

A few little gems from this article:

There were no historians, sociologists or economists consulted at the meetings, though some members of the conservative bloc held themselves out as experts on certain topics.

They also included a plank to ensure that students learn about “the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association.”

They also replaced the word “capitalism” throughout their texts with the “free-enterprise system.”

“The topic of sociology tends to blame society for everything,” Ms. Cargill said.

In conclusion, lol.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:53:32 PM »
This is just another way for the government to make us dumb so they have more power. That's their real plan.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:56:18 PM »
I'm going to just go ahead and play into the role everyone expects me to take in this thread and say:

What is so "lol"-worthy about making schoolbooks less biased?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:15:16 PM »
Those are some pretty ridiculous amendments, but at least they're taking a stand against today's left-sweeping tides of social change.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »
WHAT THE **** TEXAS?! SERIOUSLY?

I hate this state.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 11:40:30 PM »
Don't mess with Texas.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
Wait, are we "lol"ing that the textbooks have been declared biased or at the changes made?  Because if it's the latter, I'd say they're pretty bad too, from what I know.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 07:51:23 AM »
The latter I believe. I mean, only an idiot would say textbooks are totally unbiased. Everything is biased to the everything in one way or another.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
What makes this ironic is that Texas has the best budget out of all of the states.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 01:39:58 PM »
Most textbooks are biased to the left. Reality has a liberal bias. So sooner or later the extremely conservative Texas Board of Education is going to rewrite our science books too:

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
Only pagans ever believed the earth was flat.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »
As with all generalizations, there are, of course, exceptions; however:

1. The Bible doesn't teach that the earth is flat, so that guy was off his rocker.
2. You can't associate Intelligent Design with believing the earth is flat.  Again, that guy was off his rocker.

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
We can associate ID with conceptions of a flat Earth because no amount of scientific, empirical research can verify either.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »
You already know I'm going to say this, but scientific research can't verify the theory of evolution, either.

Print