Print

Author Topic: Wii Freezing Issues  (Read 9991 times)

« on: March 19, 2010, 11:16:27 AM »
My Wii freezes sometimes when trying to access a game or a channel. I also recieved my first error message last night ("Cannot access Mii Channel or Mii data. Check Mii Channel..") Now when I try to check the Mii Channel, it just goes to a blank screen, and I have to unplug the Wii to get it to work.

I've had trouble like this before shortly after getting Super Paper Mario: sometimes after clicking the Start button on the Wii menu, it would go to a blank screen (like usual), and the system would make noise like it was reading the disk (also normal), but then it would jump back to the Wii menu and take a few more seconds to read the disk again. Only sometimes with other games (namely Animal Crossing, sometimes with Mario Kart).

Currently, I can't access the Mii Channel (I haven't tried any games with Mii recognition..) I've tried updating the Wii, and I don't hack or mod.

Does anyone know what's going on or what I need to do?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »
I've had the same some of the same problems.  Sometimes after pressing start for a channel the screen goes black and it takes several minutes before it loads unless I give up and unplug it.  I almost constantly have my Wii memory full and have lots of games on it and the SD so maybe that's part of the problem.  I leave it on standby for long periods which might effect it too.  I've also read that it happens more since the 4.0 update.  Some say a new update will fix the problem, but I'm running the latest update so, I not really sure what the cause or solution is though.  My biggest fear is that if my Wii bites the dust I may not be able to get all my saves and download content on a new Wii. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
I only have a few downloads on my Wii. Everything else (namely the VC games and Wii game save files) are on the SD card.

How sad the Wii may be going out. I don't know if I could afford to replace it right now.. :(
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
OMG! my wii is doing that too! it's also making a loud grinding noise whenever it's on main menu. Do you think Wiis might break down really easy if they're slightly old?

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:13:48 PM »
My Wii has been making a loud whirring noise for the last few months as well... How queer.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 06:06:31 AM »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:53:56 AM »
I came into expecting frozen genital jokes, and I get that.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »
Nobody makes genital jokes about the Wii anymore. They're just not that funny.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
I hate to double post, but I have something tragic to report.

I sent email to Nintendo detailing what was going on, and they told me that there were probably some corrupt files on my system memory. They want to help, but it's such a unique problem that they want me to call them (and they gave me a number to call..)

Well, figuring that if something on the Wii memory is corrupt, I went for a system memory format. The thing froze up several times as I tried to get to the Wii settings. After I finally formatted the memory and it gave me the message about "the system will now shut down", it shut itself down and never restarted. I tried to boot up several times and never even saw the Health and Safety screen.

My Wii isn't even operable anymore. :(  :(  :(  :(

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
[dukar], man... Sorry to hear that. You should see what Nintendo has to say about it, though. If anything, you might receive a replacement.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:52:35 PM »
MY WII WAS FROZEN TODAY!   (oh come on, someone had to say it)

Too bad about the Wii though. I wish these systems had a better way of dealing with corrupt memory, or had a way to restore a Wii to factory condition (just provide a "Restore Mii!" disc with every Wii), or downloaded system updates in the background (you know, like a normal computer does) and then had a SAFE way of applying the update so it would continue where it left off if the power got disconnected along the way. Sounds like you tried reformatting the system memory and got a dead console, which I would not expect from a feature that sounds like a "restore to factory condition" option. Given the XBox 360's highly-publicized maybe-or-maybe-not high failure rate, just give us the option to back up all of our saves (including F-Zero GX and online-enabled Wii games) when we want and how we want. Screw the possible application of cheating or privacy concerns: we'll always find a way to cheat, and design the system better next time if you can't separate online data from offline.

I mention once again the high-capacity low-reliability third-party memory card I had for my PS2. Okami was the game to corrupt my memory card. I had difficulty saving the game, investigating the memory card led to all Okami saves being marked as "corrupt data", for some idiotic reason many corrupt data blocks cannot be deleted, and thus trying to save data for ANY other game became impossible with that corrupt data existing. I'm past the point of caring whether I can recover anything on it (even if that means losing all 60 hours of Final Fantasy X and all 70 of Okami), I just want the corrupt data gone so the card will start working again. You might say "just reformat the card". I heard you have to get some other utility to do that, that PS2 doesn't have a built-in feature to reformat a card like GameCube does. Or you'd say "just buy a new card". But I'm too lazy to do that.

In short: Sorry that it had to end the way it did, it happens to a lot of us (I almost screamed when Mario Golf glitched and deleted ALL my data), get a new console and hope it will be many more years before it happens again. You can try backing stuff up if you wish, but remember that memory cards sometimes die out too. And computer hard drives. And servers and cloud services go down occasionally too. Overall the chances of a system or memory card going kaput is very low (and I bet corrupt files on system memory is a rare issue), so in most cases you don't have to worry about it too much. It happens, you grieve, you move on.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:57:04 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 10:46:10 PM »
It happens, you grieve, you move on.

We held a short ceremony for all the data we couldn't recover. We would have buried the Wii, but since there is a slim chance Nintendo can fix it or send a spare, I thought they wouldn't want any extra dirt to clean up.

I actually have yet to call Nintendo. With my recent purchase of SoulSilver, all of my motivation to play any form of console games has been low. I've decided that I will call them for sure after the holiday weekend (probably Monday or Tuesday, depending on my wife's work schedule).

Print