Print

Author Topic: Another example of PC running rampant?  (Read 8468 times)

Jman

• Score
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »
Anybody up for some Political Correctness talk?  Living in Fargo (going to college at NDSU), I have been hearing about political correctness rearing it's ugly head (only my opinion) in the form of UND being forced to retire the "Fighting Sioux" nickname, as it is offensive to indians, apparently.  I am not an indian, so I wouldn't know.  I wonder how much longer it'll take until the NFL's Redskins have to change their name?
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »
The term "Indians" is offensive towards North America's First Nations peoples, you hatemongering bigot. Your racial insensitivity makes Iron Eyes Cody sad.

This diatribal message has been brought to you by the White Guilt Association of America.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »
Actually, I've heard it argued that they've been called Indians for so long now that to not call them Indians deprives them of their cultural heritage.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »
I love how those "don't use the word 'gay' in a negative sense" ads tell you not to use the word "gay" unless you refer to its "original" meaning.  Because "gay" has always been a common synonym for "homosexual."
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
I don't think you can definitively prove that. Especially trying to date it back to the 1530s or so.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
The University of Illinois had to retire its mascot Chief Illiniwek a few years back due to proponents of political correctness.

I also hate political correctness because it leads to horrible constructs like "his or her," "his/her," and the especially-disgusting "hir."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »
I am still in full favor of "their" because that's what my mind says in the first place anyway.
That was a joke.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
I wonder how much longer it'll take until the NFL's Redskins have to change their name?
That should've already happened, in my opinion.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
I thought "hir" was only for hermaphrodites. In general I say he/she or "he or she", but that becomes cumbersome when I have to say it frequently, and it's grammatically incorrect to say "they" when referring to one person. It was suggested once to just use one pronoun, and then switch it out for the other occasionally throughout the passage, but that strikes me as odd.

Also, I thought the original meaning of "gay" was "happy" and that it didn't become a term for homosexual until later. Either that or that one line in the Flintstones theme song always had that double entendre.

The main reason I don't like political correctness is because it means I have to learn about the new "correct" terms to call people. I don't know what to call black people, I usually say African-American. I don't know the difference between Hispanic and Latino (I know you don't say Mexicans though. Normally I'd say "you don't identify people by the state they live in", in that you don't usually hear of Washingtonians, but that would extend to countries and we certainly hear of "Germans" and "Russians" and... maybe Norwegians... but I guess those too might be incorrect, just say "people from Germany" or "people from Russia". I think Mexico's also known as Latin-America, so I think I side with the term Latin-Americans... I'll just say Latino. Maybe Hispanic would be for those that live in Spain). And I'm too lazy to go onto a website to learn the correct terms, partly because I feel the situations where I do need to know this stuff are rare.

What it comes down to is, I don't want to learn new words to demonstrate I'm using words without the intent to harm or categorize someone. I'm not excluding anyone on purpose by saying only "he" or "she", for instance.

And for the record, I say Native Americans instead of Indians. This despite my favorite elementary school book, "The Trumpet of the Swan", still has Sam Beaver walking like an "Indian" which strikes me as stereotypical today. But you know, yeah, past literature/movies/whatever get a free pass on this PC thing. They get to say whatever old now-racist terms they want, you might get a little disclaimer at the beginning. "Blazing Saddles" used the n-word a LOT, but that doesn't seem to damper anyone's feelings on it as being a hilarious film. When shown on TV today, it usually mutes out all such words.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
Actually dude
The black people I know use the word "black".
The Mexicans I know use the word "Mexican" and at least one guy I know has this pretty cool shirt informing all the white people that "latino" and "hispanic" are incorrect and the reasons why they are, and saying don't use those, use Mexican instead.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
Here's what I call people:

Black
White
Asian
Hispanic (although I say Latina when talking to the female types, it sounds sexier)
Canadian
every

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
My typical ethnic classifications include:

-Black
-White
-Asian
-Hispanic
-Arab
-Foxmccloudfan
-Native (AKA Indian)
-Gay