Print

Author Topic: So, how many people have actually been here since 1997, and are still on?  (Read 8018 times)

« on: May 23, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
Just curious on how many forum members actually manage to stay active for over a decade on a forum.

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:16:41 PM »
Fungi Forums have only existed since 2000. As far as I'm aware, Lizard Dude, Chocobo, and the admins are the only still-active users from then.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
I've been a regular reader of the main website since around the time the mailbag started (2000) and had a letter answered in the mailbag in 2001, but I didn't sign up for this account until 2006. I had an account back in 2003 too, right around the time I turned 13, but I only posted with it once and then forgot the password.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
I was here way back before the code wars when TMK was part of IGN.  Here's a few that were "here" then and still are:  Lizard Dude, Fifth, Insane Steve, MEGAߥTE, and Deezer. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
As I think I mentioned in my first post, I've been lurking since the early-mid 2000s, but '97? Man...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:41:48 PM »
I probably began browsing TMK around 2003.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »
I remember visiting TMK when the site was hosted by... I want to say Gamespy. "classicgaming.com" rings a bell. I didn't join the forums until 2006, though, which was after the site had moved to its own hosting, I think. So I haven't been here nearly as long as some people.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
I remember the 20th anniversary Evolution of Mario splash page in 2001, and the Javascript site intro where it was all pixelated and then depixelated like in SMB3 when you start a level. That was cool, even though I hardly ever got it to work.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
I was 13 when I joined the message board. I had only been to the TMK site a few times but the concept of joining a message board on the day it launched really left an impression on me at the time. I was like, "Woah, day one! I should stay here 'til the end!" A chocobo is forever, you see.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »
I've been coming to the main site for a long time (probably nearly as long as it's been around), but I started the account in 2005.

I actually had an account from pre-2000 that I'm sure is long gone (YellowShyGuy) that I'm pretty sure I only posted once with, but message boards were a foregin concept to me then. I was still getting the hang of it (and I forgot my password, and deleted/started up a new email account then too, so hope of reviving that account has long since been lost.. XD
)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 02:09:45 AM »
Been browsing TMK for several years, but I joined in December 2004, in the aftermath of the marioguy/jon unpleasantness. I was a naive 11 year old back then, hard to believe how the years have flown...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »
I remember the 20th anniversary splash page, and remember frequenting the site much earlier than that.

I ended up joining:

Date Registered: August 07, 2003, 11:10:03 pm

So, at the moment, I'm creeping up on 9 years.

I remember joining well before the marioguy explosion (which I actually added him on MSN a couple years ago), and I remember making a thread suggesting that TMK should have a chatroom. Some weeks later, iirc, they did end up incorporating that, though, I'm not saying I'm taking credit for the idea. I don't know if it was already in the works and I suggested it around that time by coincidence, or what.

I also remember being a half-op with Meowrik/Forest Guy long ago, but some BS went down with... hmm FrozenSolid/FrozenPantsSolid/whatever? I remember him pestering a lot of us for the longest time, and then all hell broke loose, and we were stripped of our titles.

Lastly..... hmmm, I think I was nominated or whatever for a post I made for the TMK Awards. I forgot who it was that voted for me, and I know it was for the "funniest/best post", but there's no way I'd ever remember what it was unless I wanted to dig it up.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
Oh, I didn't realize it was on the profile page.

Date Registered: 20 August 2002, 12:43:52 <-- Is this the real date?  When did we migrate to the new format?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
IIRC, we didn't have exact registration dates for some or all of the people who signed up on the old classicgaming.com ASP Forum, so when MB set up the SMF board he set the unknown join dates to the date and time of the users' first posts.

We opened the SMF board on Nov. 15, 2005, after four days of testing and working on the design.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:03:27 PM by Deezer »

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »
I just remembered the first splash page I saw when I discovered this site. I think it was view askew, then just a couple weeks later, it was the drawing of Mario. So.... late '99.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print