Print

Author Topic: On Tiny-Huge Island, does the island change sizes or does Mario?  (Read 17888 times)

« on: November 19, 2019, 10:28:27 PM »
Is the variation in whether the island is tiny or huge, or is the variation in whether Mario is tiny or huge? Or perhaps both Mario and the island change sizes?

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 01:55:51 AM »
Canonically or literally?
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
Yes.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »
Based on the titles of some of the stars, both in Japanese and English, the variation is the island.

Star 2: The Tip Top of the Huge Island

Star 4: チビじまの5シークレット                チビじま = chibijima = tinyisland

Furthermore, Coins and 1-Up Mushrooms can be used as an external frame of reference to prove that Mario is staying the same size as normal.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 09:33:46 PM »
Setting aside the goods that Lizard Dude has brought to the table, this is an excellent question, and I dig the philosophical implications of its answer.

Ask somebody to write their name in the air using a finger.  There are generally two types of responses:  They either write oriented towards themselves, so that they can read it--or they write oriented towards the viewer.  Some people claim that the latter response indicates a more considerate personality.  I don't buy that, though, because I have known a few really inconsiderate people who readily pass petty tests like these.

On the other hand, if someone uses another person's finger to write, they are probably a psychopath.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »
Canonically or literally?
Canonically.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 07:10:58 PM »
In that case I'd say that he stays the same size canonically like in SMB3. He does change size, however, in New Soup.
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 07:11:43 AM »
Does it matter in the end? That said, I'd go with the former explanation.

Print