Yes
42 (71.2%)
No
9 (15.3%)
Unsure
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Print

Author Topic: A Survey This Is  (Read 113305 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #360 on: March 28, 2006, 01:52:52 AM »
If we evolved at all, it was from very primitive humans. Cavemen. Big, muscular hairy guys with clubs and grunting. You can't say that coming from cavemen isn't evolution. But that's because the human race's intelligence as a whole has increased. Technology and guns were made, eliminating the need for clubs. Junk food and TV were invented, eliminating giant muscles. Razors were invented, so we're not as hairy. More advanced communication has been created, we no longer run around going "Me kill you. Get out cave." We HAVE evolved... but not from monkeys, IMO.
That said, I'm still a proud Catholic. But being a scientist doesn't sound like a bad deal... a Catholic scientist, of course. No cloning, though. Forensics.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #361 on: March 28, 2006, 07:11:49 AM »
Big muscular hairy guys with clubs and grunting ARE monkeys, practically. If you can make that leap, man, you're almost there.

EVERYTHING in science is a theory. Science is just the best explanations we currently have for stuff we actually discover. And that's precisely what should be taught in science class. You shouldn't even mention God or creationism in a science class because there's no evidence for it. Sheesh, that's a different class. It's called Theology or whatnot. Attend a church, perhaps. Don't expect it from science class, a class where they teach science, not tales told by ancient civilizations.

« Reply #362 on: March 28, 2006, 08:36:22 AM »
If we evolved at all, it was from very primitive humans. Cavemen. Big, muscular hairy guys with clubs and grunting. You can't say that coming from cavemen isn't evolution. But that's because the human race's intelligence as a whole has increased. Technology and guns were made, eliminating the need for clubs. Junk food and TV were invented, eliminating giant muscles. Razors were invented, so we're not as hairy. More advanced communication has been created, we no longer run around going "Me kill you. Get out cave."

Ha ha ha!  That's too good.

PaperLuigi: My Dad gave me some good advice about what I should do in my biology class before I was about to learn about evolution one night.  He told me to just agree with them no matter what and right down on the test what they want to hear.  I think that's good advice.  Not that you can't stand up and tell everyone you disagree, but it may not do any good and you could receive a worse grade for it.  One thing you could do (if you really need to protest) is just write at the bottom of the test "I don't believe in this but I'm going to follow the rules anyway so I can succeed in this class" or something.  There's probably no reason to protest if you have a clear conscious and remember that there's enough people protesting already. XD

And like LD said, evolution is thought of more as science than is creation because it involves scientific processes of mutation and adaptation (that may not be true but we do need theories), but creation has nothing scientific as the world would call it.  But yeah, public schools shouldn't mock other beliefs and they should just focus on their own material. Let's educate and not intimidate.  Maybe I should go to a theology class someday, because all of this is very interesting.

*gives Koopaslaya a trophy that says "Koopaslaya: For Giving Wise Advice in A Survey This Is" and gives himself a trophy that says "YR: for saying something like Koopaslaya said but not exactly"*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 08:44:41 AM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #363 on: March 28, 2006, 07:50:19 PM »
There is evidence that God is out there. Mabey not physical evidence, but I say.......many of the things that I've done in my life could not have been done without him. I'd be a walking, souless loser without him, I'm afraid. That's the glory of faith. That it isn't blind.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice, YR. If they want to believe we came from monkeys, (even though there are still monkeys today), that's okay with me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:55:20 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #364 on: March 28, 2006, 08:50:58 PM »
Now that's what I'm talking about!  You can't see God, but you can still know that he's there!  He's helped me through a lot in my life too.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #365 on: March 28, 2006, 09:02:12 PM »
EVERYTHING in science is a theory. Science is just the best explanations we currently have for stuff we actually discover. And that's precisely what should be taught in science class. You shouldn't even mention God or creationism in a science class because there's no evidence for it. Sheesh, that's a different class. It's called Theology or whatnot. Attend a church, perhaps. Don't expect it from science class, a class where they teach science, not tales told by ancient civilizations.

What's taught in science class is that everything in the universe came about by chance, and that contradicts religious belief. It doesn't make sense if we're taught in science class that the universe wasn't created, but taught in religion class that it was. Really, when you're talking about the origin of the universe and of life, you simply can't leave religion out of the discussion. (Note that by religion I am mostly just talking in this case about belief in the existence of a God who created the universe, whether through evolutionary processes or through direct creation.) And since neither atheism nor religion can be decisively proved to be right, it's not right for atheism to be taught as truth and Christianity to be merely presented as untrue myth. People who teach such things in school are basically brainwashing students into believing what they're saying, since the students may never have heard the evidence for the other side before.

Also, there most certainly is evidence for religion, such as well-documented instances of miraculous healing from water from Lourdes, France, more than one instance in which a statue of the Virgin Mary was reliably reported to have actually wept, etc.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #366 on: March 28, 2006, 09:08:54 PM »
It really makes me sad that no one read what was probably my longest post.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #367 on: March 28, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »
PaperLuigi: Ditto to what you said (about evidence).  God has never let me down and never will!  I hope I didn't sound like I was saying that God doesn't exist.  Just saying that there is no proof that people want to see, whatever that is.

One possible theory with monkeys still existing with humans, is that maybe some creatures evolved into another species while others didn't for some reason.  Or you could say that some creatures are catching up with us, and not evolving as fast.  I bet that I sound like I'm supporting evolution, but I'm trying to think of theories for these things.

smf1085: The main theory of evolution doesn't involve God unless that is a theory I haven't heard of in education, or if you just believe that for yourself.  And when we think about brainwashing, that can be someone's opinion about anything (maybe even religions too).  In my opinion something isn't brainwashing if it makes you become a better person, but I guess it's all how you look at it.

IMO miracles are the best proof for the existence of God, and I love to hear stories of them in the Bible and today.  But some people might say they were just coincidences, or aliens, or other unknown forces, so that's another reason people can choose not to believe that.

Btw, there's one thing I really want to know about evolution.  What happened that caused men and women to have different bodies and bodily functions, and also to think differently from each other too?  Is there a theory for that?

Edit: I read your post, Koopaslaya!  I just didn't really have anything to say about this time.  But it was still interesting.  If you want I can polish your trophy for you or something. *wipes it a few times and then accidently knocks it over and breaks* Oops.  I'll... uh... get a new one.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 09:35:22 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #368 on: March 28, 2006, 09:32:38 PM »
smf1085: The main theory of evolution doesn't involve God unless that is a theory I haven't heard of in education, or if you just believe that for yourself.

Yes, I realize the main theory of evolution doesn't involve God. That's what I was saying. However, many Christians (including Koopaslaya here and possibly others) believe that God created the universe and everything in it, but that he did it indirectly, using evolutionary processes. This theory is called "theistic evolution". I personally don't find it convincing myself, but it doesn't contradict Christian beliefs, so people who believe in it are not necessarily "unorthodox" Christians or anything.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #369 on: March 28, 2006, 10:44:23 PM »
I find it amazing that no one has realized that these two theories don't have to contradict each other. I'm sorry, but a person who thinks the Earth was created in a week and that it's only 6000 years old is simply not smart. I find no reason to think that stuff just appeared one random day, and also I find no reason to think God didn't start stuff going.
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #370 on: March 28, 2006, 10:52:48 PM »
RELIGION IS NOT SCIENCE. AT ALL.

I'll let my children become total idiots before I ship them to a school that teaches religion in science class. The major proponents for ruining school ciriculums with religion all have one thing in common; NONE OF THEM KNOW THE DEFINITION OF "THEORY". They think that a theory is anything that haven't been proven yet. That's not all of it. A theory must have significant scientific evidence to support it. Religion has no scientific evidence supporting it at all. Religion is not a theory. It is a belief. Evolution is a theory -- one that is often NOT believed in because it supposedly contradicts religious teachings. Believe it or don't, it's STILL more of a scientific theory than anything religion teaches.
~I.S.~

« Reply #371 on: March 28, 2006, 10:58:53 PM »
I have no problem with people teaching us about evolution. But when they start telling us that God had nothing to do with creating the universe is when something needs to stop. It's not a matter of saying, "Oh, geeze, evolution! It's so UnGodly.!" (If that's even a word.) What makes me angry is when the public school system has no problem with us believing evolution, but when we mention God,  it's the end of the world.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #372 on: March 28, 2006, 11:02:15 PM »
Well, the thing is, they don't need to bring it up at all. They shouldn't try to tell people and force them to believe that there isn't a God, and at the same time, they shouldn't be teaching religion in science. But you do have to admit, historically, without religion, science wouldn't have gotten much of anywhere. That being said, I don't think I've got religion.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #373 on: March 29, 2006, 12:34:01 AM »
Who said evolution and Christianity can't coincide? Some theories, like Earth coming from a chemical reaction seem logical... but I believe God made it happen.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #374 on: March 29, 2006, 12:41:58 AM »
Who said evolution and Christianity can't coincide?
Just to make sure that I was clear before, I didn't say that, although at least one person earlier on the page (not referring to you, Bird Person) seemed to think I did.

Print