Print

Author Topic: This oughta leave a kid scarred for life....  (Read 8976 times)

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2005, 10:31:02 PM »

"[...] not everyone in the world is a Catholic. A lot of the Japanese people aren't Catholic at all. They're mainly Shintoists."

Correction: Most Japanese people don't practice a religion at all. Shinto customs are commonly used in weddings, manners, etc, but the religion itself isn't actually practiced. The same is sometimes applied to Buddhism.

In conclusion, most Japanese people do not practice the Shinto religion.

"It's not considered immoral at all in their religion to be gay."

Chances are, homosexuality isn't even mentioned in the religion.

"So, if there are future Mario games that are a little edgy like this, just tell yourself, 'It's normal in Japan'."

Oh, is it?

"[...] something like this isn't immoral at all in Japan, where the game (and pretty much all of the other Mario ones) come from, because people there aren't Catholic."

A minority of people in Japan are Christian.  And note that some people might find this immoral overseas too.  Just as you see mixed opinions on this forum, there are probably mixed opinions on this over there too.  Don't speak on behalf of everyone.

Vidgmchtr, I respect your opinion, I just feel that you need to look at the facts before relying on them.

"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
Also, as a continuation of the last post (because I don't want to mess around with html anymore):

The subject of Vivian's gender seems to have turned into a semi-religious debate on homosexuality.  If this continues, it might be best if this thread is closed.

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2005, 10:34:23 PM »
I may sound a little sensitive,............ but you are kinda scaring me......... I hate heated debates........ They are scary.

TMK fan since three years ago!

Edited by - Master Mario on 1/26/2005 8:36:05 PM

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2005, 11:01:17 PM »
Oh, Shintoism doesn't have anything to do with yaoi or yuri, I wasn't trying to imply that it did.  I mentioned it because V . . . erm, I forget how to spell the name (heh), but that person said that Shintoists don't believe that homosexuality is wrong.  Whether or not that's true, and I don't know enough about the religion to say, I was pointing out that despite that (and other factors that would indicate more tolerance, such as yaoi and yuri) a lot of people over there still view homosexuality as a sick thing, and homosexuals meet with a lot of prejudice.

"But I'm pretty sure gays choose to be gay."

Why would anyone choose to be ostracized, made fun of, threatened, unable to enjoy the same legal rights as heterosexuals, and have their dating pool restricted to like 10% of the population?
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2005, 11:04:17 PM »
I-I can't....... debate! Shintoists? Yura? I'm confused! You beat me!

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2005, 11:15:27 PM »
I am NOT going to debate anymore on the sujects of homosexuality and misinterpretation of foreign cultures in this thread.  It is getting very far from the original topic.  I don't know how it started, nor do I really care how, but someone with the ability to close this thread should do so.

Print