Print

Author Topic: MEGAߥTE. Famicom. Am I calling you?  (Read 8556 times)

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:19:24 AM »
Right now I'm staying with my second and final host family in Japan. Unlike my previous one, this family has a kid—though he is grown up and moved away now. When he was younger he was quite a gamer, reportedly staying up until 5:00 a.m. every night playing games (during times of vacation).

Now that he is older, he has moved onto playing Internet PC games, and his collection of Game Boy, Famicom, Famicom Disk System, and Super Famicom games sit in a box and patiently wait for nasty, gray dirt particles to land on them. My host mother said that all of this stuff will be going to the dump (well, incinerator) if I don't want any of it. Since their son is now 29, it's pretty amazing that all of the stuff has lasted as long as it has—or maybe it just means that dust and decay rather than dump and destruction is their doom.

While I would rather see either of the two above scenarios carried out before trying to take all of it back with me, I'll provide a list of all the games here in case there happens to be anything that someone (like MEGAߥTE, who I know collects Japanese Nintendo games) would want, or that is particularly valuable. So if you could provide me with a little assistance, even if it's only a, "It's all a bunch of junk," then I'd really appreciate it.

The only thing that I'll be keeping myself is the tiny bit of cassette tape Dragon Quest music that I found amongst the games. Although I could take home the family's Super Famicom and actually be able to play some of the games, I don't actually have either the time or the luggage space to do that. So although it isn't listed below, a Super Famicom is the sole system among the pile of plastic that my host family no longer wants. (It and Dragon Quest VI are the only things that I have tested and confirmed to be in working order.)

The reason that I need help is that I am not at all familiar with Japanese versions of games. As a result, I am largely unfamiliar with the Japanese and English equivalents of their names. So rather than mess with incorrect translations or crossovers, I'll simply put in English what should obviously be (or already is) English and romanize the rest (italics).

I don't know why, but the games' respective conditions vary greatly. This is not to say just that some seem more used that others, but also that some games are more complete than others. So although I won't go to the extreme trouble of ranking the wear on the cartridges, I will let you know of what each game actually consists. The three items of consistence are the cartridge itself (marked by C), the instruction manual (M), and the box (B).

Game Boy【ゲームボーイ】

• F★1 Race(F1 Reesu)【F1レース】 – CMB
  • Fastest Lap(Faasutesuto Rappu)【ファーステスト・ラップ】 – CMB
  • Makai Doushi Sa•Ga(Makai Doushi Sa•Ga)【魔界塔士 サ・ガ】 – CMB
  • Nekketsu Koukou Soccerbu: World Cuphen(Nekketsu Koukou Sakkaabu: Waarudo Kappuhen)【熱血高校サッカー部:ワールドカップ編】 – CMB
  • Sa•Ga 2 . . .(Sa•Ga 2: Hihou Densetsu)【サ・ガ2:秘宝伝説】 – CMB
  • SD Gundam SD . . .(SD Gandamu SD Senkokuden: Kunitori Monogatari)【SDガンダムSD戦国伝:国盗り物語】 – CMB
  • Super Toudairou Dentetsu【Super桃大郎電鉄】 – CMB

Famicom【ファミリー コンピュータ】

• 4nin Uchi Maajan【4人打ち麻雀】 – CB
  • Baseball(Beesubooru)【ベースボール】 – C
  • Best Play Baseball(Besuto Puree Puroyakyuu)【ベストプレープロ野球】 – CMB
  • Bokosuka Wars – C
  • Captain . . .(Kyaputen Tsubasa)【キャプテン翼】 – MB
  • Captain Tsubasa: Super Striker II(Kyaputen Tsubasa: Suupaa Sutoraikaa II)【キャプテン翼:スーパーストライカーⅡ】 – CMB
  • Downtown . . .(Dauntaun Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai)【ダウンタウン熱血行進曲:それゆけ大運動会】 – CMB
  • Downtown Special . . .(Dauntaun Supesharu ♥ Kuniokun no Jidaigeki da yo Seninshuugou!)【ダウンタウンスペシャル♥くにおくんの時代劇だよ全員集合!】 – CMB
  • Dragon Ball . . .(Doragon Booru: Daimaou Fukkatsu)【ドラゴンボール:大魔王復活】 – C
  • Dragon Quest III . . .(Doragon Kuesuto III: Soshite Densetsu e...)【ドラゴン クエストⅢ:そして伝説へ・・・】 – CMB
  • Dragon Quest IV . . .(Doragon Kuesuto IV: Michihikareshi Monotachi)【ドラゴン クエストⅣ:導かれし者たち】 – MB
  • Excite Bike(Ekisaito Baiku)【エキサイトバイク】 – CB
  • Family Stadium ’89 . . .(Famisuta ’89: Kaimakuban!!)【ファミスタ’89:開幕版!!】 – CMB
  • Family Stadium ’91(Famisuta ’91)【ファミスタ’91】 – CMB
  • Family Tennis(Famirii Tenisu)【ファミリーテニス】 – CB
  • Faxanadu(Fazanadu)【ファザナドゥ】 – CMB
  • Final Fantasy III(Fainaru Fantashii III)【ファイナルファンタシーⅢ】 – CMB
  • Gambare Goemon! Karakuri Douchuu【がんばれゴエモン!からくり道中】 – CB
  • Hayauchi Suupaa Igo【早打ちスーパー囲碁】 – CMB
  • Hori Commander Black [controller](Hori Komandaa Burakku)【ホリコマンダー ブラック】 – CB
  • Hyper Olympic(Haipaa Orimpikku)【ハイパーオリンピック】 – C
  • Kinnikuman: Muscle Tag Match(Kinnikuman: Massuru Taggu Matchi)【キン肉マン:マッスルタッグマッチ】 – C
  • Mag Max(Magu Makkusu)【マグマックス】 – CB
  • Mappy(Mappii)【マッピー】 – C
  • Meijinsen【名人戦】 – CMB
  • Moeero!! Pro Soccer(Moeero!! Purosakkaa)【燃えろ!!プロサッカー】 – C
  • Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeballbu: Soccerhen(Nekketsu Koukou Dojjiboorubu: Sakkaahen)【熱血高校ドッジボール部:サッカー編】 – CMB
  • Nobunaga no Yabou: Zen • Kuni • Han【信長の野望:全・国・版】 – CMB
  • Raid on Bungeling Bay(Bangeringu Bei)【バンゲリング ベイ】 – CB
  • SD Gundam World . . .(SD Gandamu Waarudo Gachapon Senshi 2: Kapuseru Senki)【SDガンダムワールド ガチャポン戦士2:カプセル戦記】 – CMB
  • Seinto Seiya: Ougon Densetsu【聖闘士星矢:黄金伝説】 – CMB
  • Seinto Seiya: Ougon Densetsu Kanketsuhen【聖闘士星矢:黄金伝説完結編】 – C
  • Shin Moero!! Puroyakyuu【新燃えろ!!プロ野球】 – CMB
  • Spartan X(Suparutan X)【スパルタンX】 – CB
  • Star Soldier(Sutaa Sorujaa)【スターソルジャー】 – CB
  • Super Mario Bros.(Suupaa Mario Burazaazu【スーパーマリオブラザーズ】 – B
  • Super Mario Bros. 3(Suupaa Mario Burazaazu 3【スーパーマリオブラザーズ3】 – B
  • Super Real Baseball ’88(Suupaa Riaru Beesubooru ’88)【スーパーリアル ベースボール’88】 – CMB
  • Super Xevious . . .(Suupaa Zebiusu: Gampu no Nazo)【スーパーゼビウス:ガンプの謎】 – CB
  • The Tower of Druaga(Doruaaga no Tou)【ドルアーガの塔】 – C
  • Urban Champion(Aaban Champion)【アーバンチャンピオン】 – C

Famicom Disk System【ファミリー コンピュータ ディスク システム】

• Exciting Baseball(Ekisaitingu Beesubooru)【エキサイティング ベースボール】 – M
  • Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race(Famicon Gurampuri F1 Reesu)【ファミコン グランプリ F1レース】 – M
  • Golf: Japan Course(Gorufu: Japan Koosu)【ゴルフ:ジャパン コース】 – CM
  • Golf: US Course(Gorufu: Yuuesu Koosu)【ゴルフ:ユーエス コース】 – MB
  • The Hyrule Fantasy: Zelda's . . .(The Hyrule Fantasy: Zeruda no Densetsu)【The Hyrule Fantasy:ゼルダの伝説】 – CMB
  • Igo【囲碁】 – CMB
  • The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's . . .(The Legend of Zelda 2: Rinku no Bouken)【The Legend of Zelda 2:リンクの冒険】 – M
  • Metroid(Metoroido)【メトロイド】 – CMB
  • Professional Wrestling(Puroresu)【プロレス】 – M
  • Volleyball(Bareebooru)【バレーボール】 – M

Super Famicom【スーパー ファミコン】

• Chrono Trigger(Kurono Torigaa)【クロノ・トリガー】 – MB
  • Dragon Ball Z 2: Super . . .(Doragon Booru Z 2: Suupaa Butouden)【ドラゴンボールZ2:超武闘伝】 – CMB
  • Dragon Quest VI . . .(Doragon Kuesuto VI: Maboroshi no Daichi)【ドラゴン クエストⅥ:幻の大地】 – C
  • Final Fantasy V(Fainaru Fantashii V)【ファイナルファンタシーⅤ】 – MB
  • Final Fantasy VI(Fainaru Fantashii VI)【ファイナルファンタシーⅥ】 – CMB
  • Jikkyou Pawafuru Puroyakyuu【実況 パワフルプロ野球】 – C
  • Kuniokun no Dodgeball . . .(Kuniokun no Dojjibooru da yo Seninshuugou!)【くにおくんのドッジボールだよ全員集合!】 – CMB
  • NBA Pro Basketball: Bulls vs Blazers and the NBA Playoffs(NBA Puro Basukettobooru)【NBA プロ バスケットボール】 – CB
  • Puro Maajan Kiwame III【プロ麻雀極Ⅲ】 – CMB
  • Romancing Sa•Ga(Romanshingu Sa•Ga)【ロマンシング サ・ガ】 – CMB
  • Romancing Sa•Ga 2(Romanshingu Sa•Ga 2)【ロマンシング サ・ガ2】 – MB
  • SD Gundam 2 . . .(SD Gandamu 2: Kidou Senshi)【SDガンダム2:機動戦士】 – CB
  • SD Gundam GX(SD Gandamu GX)【SDガンダムGX】 – CMB
  • SD Gundam X: Super Champion World(SD Gandamu X)【SDガンダムX】 – CMB
  • Sangokushi III【三國志Ⅲ】 – CB
  • Sangokushi IV【三國志Ⅳ】 – MB
  • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior(Sutoriito Faitaa II)【ストリートファイターⅡ】 – CMB
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting(Sutoriito Faitaa II Taabo)【ストリートファイターⅡターボ】 – MB
  • Super Formation Soccer(Suupaa Foomeeshon Sakkaa)【スーパーフォーメーションサッカー】 – CMB
  • Teitoku no Ketsudan II【提督の決断Ⅱ】 – M

Game Music【ゲームサントラ】

• Suite Dragon Quest II [KSF-1486](Doragon Kuesuto no Sekai "Doragon Kuesuto II: Akuryou no Kamigami")【ドラゴン クエストの世界「ドラゴン クエストⅡ:悪霊の神々」】 – Only the cassette is missing
  • Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest III [KLA-1567](Koukyou Kumikyoku Doragon Kuesuto III: Soshite Densetsu e...)【交響組曲ドラゴン クエストⅢ:そして伝説へ・・・】
  • Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest IV [APTG-9001](Koukyou Kumikyoku Doragon Kuesuto IV: Michihikareshi Monotachi)【交響組曲ドラゴン クエストⅣ:導かれし者たち】

Should someone want one or more of these, then I might be able to bring it/them back with me. However, my luggage is already overpacked, so shipping (which is expensive) would probably be the only option. Also, this list unfortunately took me much longer to make than I expected it would (nothing unusual there), and not much time remains before I'll be leaving. My departure time is Thursday morning (Japan time), so that makes a deadline of, oh, I guess Tuesday afternoon or so (U.S. time). Maybe a little too rushed . . .

Well, perhaps this post will prove to be a waste of time, but at least I learned some new Japanese words and characters from making it. Also, I'm finding English more difficult to write (well) because I haven't used it much lately, and I'm really glad to have had a little practice. So no harm done. ;D

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 06:28:48 PM »
That is awfully nice of them to offer to you all of their son's old games that he dosen't play anymore.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 11:22:30 PM »
Holy stinkin' cow! Some of those games are very nice, and it brings a tear to my eye to hear of them dumped. Oh well.

As far as keeping something around goes, perhaps a SMB, SMB3, Zelda, Zelda 2, or a Final Fantasy (VI, particularly) or Dragon Quest would be nice to preserve. But I don't specifically want or request anything, or know how rare they are. Those just caught my eye.

Maybe someone else will see this list. Thank you very much for spending all the time on it!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 12:46:37 AM »
 That's really amazing, Watoad.

I'm not sure what help I can provide you, other than what games I would specifically hang on to if I were in your shoes. I doubt it'll be much of any help, as I don't know the rarity of Japanese carts, nor recognize most of the games on that list.

Famicom

Dragon Quest III - I just saw both DQIII and IV going for 40 dollars complete, at Otakon. I'm not sure if IV's box and manual would be worth keeping for any reason other than a collector's purpose.

Final Fantasy III - I saw it going for $45, complete, last weekend. I'm not sure if you could get that much for it, and the only copy I see on ebay is going for $15 complete. You might be able to though, since someone did buy it at the convention.  Aside from that though, it's fairly rare now, but as soon as the DS version is released, I'm not sure if it'll hurt or help the price of the original Famicom version.

Super Mario Bros. / 3 - I'm not sure of the rarity of the famicom carts or anything, but I'd say it'd be rather tough to pass those up.

The Tower of Druaga - Once again, I have no idea of how rare it is, or how much it could draw, especially since it was released on the Namco Meseum. But, it's an early Namco game, and pretty nifty in my book. So this is another I'd pick purely on my own interests.

Famicom Disk System

Legend of Zelda / Zelda 2 - No idea on rarity or anything, but still a collector's dream, I imagine. Neat to own, if nothing else.

Metroid - Same reason as Zelda, really.

Super Famicom

Dragon Quest VI / Chrono Trigger / Final Fantasy V / Final Fantasy VI / Romancing SaGa / Romancing SaGa 2 - Classic RPGs. Each and every one of 'em. Purely collecting purposes, as I have no idea how much you could get for them, especially the ones with only Manual and Boxes.

I guess I really only said what Lizard Dude said, after all. I thought it might end up that way. Regardless, I'm not sure what sort of, if any help this might be, but I hope it helps in some way shape or form. I don't really wish to request anything either, but I think it's really swell of you to offer.

Good luck, Watoad.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 07:02:50 PM »
Dang. It would be horrible and awful for these to be destroyed. Someone send them to me quick. :P

"Hey, there’s that apple again." ~ TEM
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 09:25:52 PM »
Sorry, I just saw this...  I hope I'm not too late.  Here's what I'd like:
Game Boy
 Sa-Ga 2
Famicom
 Dragon Quest III
 Dragon Quest IV
 Final Fantasy III - manual and box
 Star Soldier (lowest priority)
 Super Mario Bros. - box
 Super Mario Bros. 3 - box
Famicom Disk System
 Golf: Japan Course
 Golf: US Course
 Legend of Zelda
 Adventure of Link
 Metroid
Super Famicom
 Chrono Trigger - manual and box
 Dragon Quest VI
 Final Fantasy V - manual and box
 Final Fantasy VI - manual and box
 Romancing SaGa - manual and box
 Romancing SaGa 2 - manual and box

As you can see, most of what I want are manuals and boxes (or disk games, which are thin), which I'd imagine you might actually have room to pack.  If you could get some of that stuff over, that would be awesome.  In particular I'd like to get the Mario, Zelda, and Square-Enix material.
Also, my Famicom Disk System doesn't work right, and I'd like to get another one, but I'd imagine you'd have to ship that... if you let me know how much that would cost, I'd consider it.
Thanks for the opportunity!

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 10:39:55 PM »
I feel sorry for Watoad being in this situation.

"Soon this land will be as devoid of beauty as your face." ~Koal, Advance Wars Dual Strike

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 04:23:39 PM »
yeah he needs to either crap or get off the pot!

VOTE FOR PEDRO!

Edited by - mario_luigifan104 on 8/26/2005 3:24:35 PM

I see poop.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 04:48:33 PM »
~Oscar Wilde

"Soon this land will be as devoid of beauty as your face." ~Koal, Advance Wars Dual Strike

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 04:57:41 PM »
It sounds as if you lead a very interesting life, Watoad! Of course, I probabley don't know the half of it. I would like Kinnikuman: Muscle Tag Match.....but I'm out of money! Dang it, this always happens to me.

I have the body of a God! Unfortunately, it''s Buddah.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 06:13:07 PM »
Yes, my life is very interesting in my opinion. Thanks for noticing. ;P

Right now I am at University of the Nations in Kona, Hawaii, so I can't send out any more games. Sorry! (>_<)

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 03:55:40 AM »
So what ended up happening?

I bte yuo cna rdae tihs by lkooign at it.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 05:04:13 PM »
I sent MEGAߥTE a box of stuff that pretty closely resembles his list above. I managed to catch him on IRC at the last minute, and he gave me a few more details about what games to send and some other info like his new address. It's up to him to let the world know when everything arrives and in what condition. ;P

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 08:08:39 PM »
Oh man, he got all that stuff?

Score.

I bte yuo cna rdae tihs by lkooign at it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005, 10:37:03 PM »
It's too bad neither the Final Fantasy V nor the Chrono Trigger cartridges were there. I would have begged for them.
That was a joke.

Print