Print

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 70149 times)

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2001, 11:29:12 AM »
Totally agree! When we studied planet and stuff like that in science class, I was always tempted to put FALSE when a question was, like, was the universe created by the big bang, or something.
I like cheese!

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2001, 03:44:49 PM »
This is the only beef I have with the Big Bang being taught in schools.  The Big Bang  is a theory, as is my belief in Creation.  Neither is repeatable or observable, and so both are outside the realm of true science.  Neither are really provable; it is a matter of personal conviction which theory one chooses to believe.  That is just great with me.  The problem comes when one is dogmatically taught as fact while the other is completely left out.  I went to a Christian school, so Creation was taught in our science classes as fact.  However, we did learn about evolution also.  I think it is important for students to learn several theories, making sure they understand that they are theories (ideas and not necessarily provable fact), and allow perfectly able students to come to their own conclusion about the beginning of the universe.
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2001, 03:49:19 PM »
It is a fact that the Universe is expanding.  It has also been established to be at least 14,000,000,000 years old.  True, the Big Bang is a theory, but parts of it have been proven.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2001, 06:06:27 PM »
Don't know 'bout the rest of ya, but I don't believe that, either. I believe it's around 6,000 years old. I got some proof for ya, but I'd have to dig it up.

Does your face hurt?
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2001, 02:11:49 PM »
What proof establishes that the universe is 14 billion years old and that it is expanding?

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2001, 03:08:50 PM »
The component hadronic particles of light travel at 1,079,891,657 kilometers per hour through vacuum.  This is a physical constant.  The Hubble Space Telescope has observed quasi-stellar objects 132,547,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilometers away, establishing that they have existed for approximately 14,000,000,000 years.  This shows that the Universe is much more ancient than the Creationists claim.  If everything had been created 6,000 years ago, the light from other galaxies and most of our own would not have reached Earth yet, and everything beyond a small sphere of the Perseid Arm would be invisible to any telescope.

The fact that certain clusters of galaxies are moving away from other clusters of galaxies was established in the early 1990s by the Infra-Red Astronomical Satellite.  It is not known for sure that they have all been moving uniformly from a single point, however.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2001, 03:18:37 PM »
Uhh...that went right past me.

Does your face hurt?

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2001, 04:31:59 PM »
I think I understand:

We can all assume that it takes one year for light to travel the distance of one light year, correct?
The hubble telescope has seen the light of stars that have been determined to be about 133 septillion kilometers away.  This converts to about 14 trillion light years.
Hence, those stars have to have existed for at least 14 trillion years for their light to actually reach us.
Had the universe existed for a mere 6 thousand years, we'd only be able to see the light of stars 6 thousand light years away or closer.

Make sense?

Aid
Go Moon!

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2001, 10:40:02 PM »
I'm a Christian and that's all that anyone needs to know.  I go to a Presbyterian church but I don't believe in denonimational segregation.  Anyway, if our mission is to spread God's word, and love and respect each other at the same time, isn't that what we should be doing?

Note:  Best viewed in font Sarcasm.
Note:  Best viewed in font Sarcasm.

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2001, 12:54:05 PM »
Those are some good points, based on observable data.  However, I disagree with the conclusions.  This is why:

As you all know, the formula used to find the amount of time taken to travel a given distance at a given speed is

Time = Distance / Speed

Using this formula and the known speed of light (which is constant), distant stars are found to be millions of light years away.  We cannot argue the speed of light or the distance of the stars; these are observable.  The only variable left in the equation is Time.  According to Einstein's Theory of Relativity, Time is not constant and can be distorted by speed and gravity.

We know that at the event horizon around a black hole, time stands still.

There is a theory, known as Gravitational Time Dilation, which attempts to explain the belief of Creationists that the universe is young.  It depends on the assumption that the universe has a boundary.

This theory holds that the universe has expanded at some time in the past out of a previous state in which it was surrounded by a white hole (a black hole running in reverse) and near the center of which was the earth.  The event horizon of this white hole would have shrunk and eventually disappeared as the matter expanded.  Time would literally stand still on the Earth (within the event horizon).  Less than a day on earth would pass, but it would appear the millions of years were passing in deep space.  Stars and galaxies would appear to be moving much faster than they do now, but an observer outside the event horizon could measure the speed of light to be the same constant that it is today.

This theory is consistent with the Bible's creation account, and all of the concepts used are widely accepted by cosmologists.

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2001, 03:29:12 PM »
Oh..universe! I could have sworn it said "Earth." Dunno what I was thinking, it was kinda late when I posted that. Sorry, my bad.

Does your face hurt?

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2001, 08:15:48 PM »
If one were to connect the dots, you'd find that religion and science are more intertwined than you'd think.

For example - how did we get here? We had to have been created by something, but would a large man with a long white beard have the free time on his hands to do so?

And what happens when we die? Define "soul." All questions which are part of an enigma, stuck to the bottom of the pan in which it was cooked.

Personally, I'm not a religious person, however I am not opposed to religion. Unfourtanetly, there are many Jesus Nazis out there who don't see it the same way.
Not to say that Christianity is all bigoted or that other religions can't be.

"Plug your controller into controller port 2. If you do that he won''t be able to read your mind!"
-Roy Campbell (Metal Gear Solid)
"Plug your controller into controller port 2. If you do that he won''t be able to read your mind!"
-Roy Campbell (Metal Gear Solid)

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2001, 09:19:30 PM »
See. thats why Science and religion should have a umm......message board restriction on each other. They just dont go together well. beign a Christian I believe the Earth was created by god and yadda yadda, but I also respect the views and opinions of those scientist geeks....I mean people.

"Hey dude, 1976 called, it said it wants its haircut back." ~ Joe Dirt, in theaters now.
"Timmay!"

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2001, 01:21:37 PM »
I have to agree with Grizzlemoth here.  Science and religion are more intricately intertwined than most people think (or want to admit).  I am a Christian, but I hope people don't think I'm a Jesus Nazi... I like to look at things from different points of view.

Let me put this idea out there- the Aryan nation, Nazis, white power, and all that garbage claims to be affiliated with Christianity, but they are not.  They are considered radical right wing factions, which is a pity because the right wing doesn't want to have anything to do with them!

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2001, 01:52:07 PM »
If I believe that God made the universe, then I must also believe that nothing that can be proven true can contradict God... right? That's my view on science -- anything we discover to be true must correspond to religious truth, as science and religion are different aspects of the eternal truth...

The problem comes when people decide that a THEORY is truth. It happens in both religion and in science. In religion, some medieval theologians decided that the sun must revolve around the earth, given the earth's primacy in the universe and importance because of God's special relationship with man. However, that was merely a theory... this led to the persecution of Galileo. The Catholic Church today notes that religious THEORY and PROPOSITIONS can't be taken in the same way as truths... something that some people in the middle ages didn't understand. The same goes for science... at one point in time, scientists believe that frogs were generated from mud and flies from manure. This was proven incorrect as well.

Theories can be true or false... but until proven, you must remember they are still theories. Einstein's Theory of Relativity, the Theory of Evolution, and others are still unproven theories... they are different from scientific Laws, things that CAN be proven. Evolution with regards to the human species can't be made a scientific law until a "Missing Link" is found (it hasn't, so far).  Einstein's theory of relativity can't be proven until we can accelerate observable matter to the speed of light.

Let's do the Mario, all together now!

http://codebook.stals.com
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Print