Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1705114 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5835 on: July 23, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »
I really dislike the Battle Frontier.  What's the point of training your Pokemon painstakingly all the way to level 100 is they're going to limit their levels, the game mechanics, or even which Pokemon can enter?

I always go to the Fight Area thinking "It's probably not as awful as I remember," and every time I turn my DS off in frustration ten minutes later, reminded why I'm disgusted with it.  None of this would bother me so much if you didn't have to get 100 consecutive wins at the Battle Tower to get a star on your trainer card. 

That reminds me, I also rather dislike being a perfectionist.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #5836 on: July 23, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »
I feel for you, man. Given the unreasonable technicalities the Battle Tower and its derivatives impose on the player, I sometimes feel that using hacked Pokemon is within reason. For instance, I've had an enemy Rhyperior's Focus Band work three times in a row, a foe's Gliscor successfully use Guillotine on two-thirds of my party before they could retaliate, and more. I've actually amassed 42 straight wins as of yet, although it all really revolves around luck: A few critical hits will get you farther than any tactfully-compiled team.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5837 on: July 24, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »
I'm thinking of going the cheap way with a level 1 Rattata with Focus Sash, Endeavor, and Quick Attack; and an Articuno with Mind Reader and Sheer Cold.  Maybe a Wobbuffet for the other one.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5838 on: July 24, 2009, 07:55:45 AM »
I've barely touched the Battle Tower/Frontier/Arena/etc., but I have started back up playing Pokemon Colosseum and I must say that though I like the aesthetic and battle system, there's pretty much nowhere to grind/make money.

In other, far more angsty news, my PS3 crashed a few days ago for no discernable reason. A system restore was eventually in order, but all game data was still there. Good, right? Well, there's one thing it didn't remember: All the profiles on the system. Now my brother and I have no PSN accounts and so all the DLC we bought is nonfunctional (and, in the process, we've fallen prey to an infamous glitch and/or misguided security feature that nullifies Trophy acheivement in LittleBigPlanet unless game data is erased). Solutions are being tested for all of the above, and all I hope is that I don't have to buy a bunch crap all over again or never be able to get another Trophy (that, or erase my LBP data).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5839 on: July 24, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
That sucks, man... Does the PS3 have any backup solutions for similar further occurrences? If so, take it. If anything, today I've experienced the unreliability of technology first-hand... again:

No further explanation necessary.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5840 on: July 24, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
Well like I said, all the game data was intact, though since any and all accounts no longer existed it was like a guy with amnesia, existing but not knowing anything about who it belonged to. I swiftly saw to it that all copyable data (LocoRoco Cocorrecho can't be copied for some reason, but it's pointless enough that I don't think I'd miss it worst-case-scenario) was put on an SD card or thumb drive.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5841 on: July 25, 2009, 12:31:47 AM »
I am going to murder the next middle school kid who looks me in the eye and blatantly ignores my instructions.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5842 on: July 25, 2009, 06:35:21 AM »
Gee whiz.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5843 on: July 26, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
My mom is watching Mamma Mia, and Great Shades of Elvis, it's annoying.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5844 on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
You want to know what the most depressing thing I've ever seen in Battlefield Heroes is? You wanna know?

Seeing a guy get banned (not kicked, banned) from the server for "chat spam" (he was spamming "I need a medic" over and over again), while a guy named xXBillyMaysXx stands in place the entire match calling everybody a "******" and nobody bats an eyelid.
every

« Reply #5845 on: July 28, 2009, 02:13:34 AM »
Complaining about the Battle Frontier is like complaining the guy kicking you in the nuts is wearing steel-toed boots instead of tennis shoes. You've got bigger problems.

And Chupperson Weird has still not presented an actual argument for his opinion on the state of rhythm games.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5846 on: July 28, 2009, 06:50:39 AM »
Complaining about the Battle Frontier is like complaining that the guy kicking you in the nuts is wearing steel-toed boots when your own steel-toed boots have been replaced with tennis shoes.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5847 on: July 28, 2009, 10:59:34 AM »
I can't be positive, but I've heard that they're sloppy with GH or RB timing in recent games and you can't rely on the actual music playing to help you stay in sync. That is one thing I have against those games in particular. Also, it seems most people aren't aware other rhythm games exist. I don't actually have a problem with other, non-Harmonix non-EA rhythm games. Just the fact that they are the only ones the average person plays, and you know I don't consider them worthwhile.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5848 on: July 28, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »
The non-Harmonix developed GHs have only-passable-quality charts focused on having the guitarist play as much [dukar] as possible. While Harmonix did make some concessions by having players play saxaphone and keyboard parts, Neversoft and whatnot have you play turntable scratches, random sound effects, and sometimes bass notes, not to mention they feel almost everything has to be a three- or four- or five-note chord. They're simply not as good at doing notecharts.
every

« Reply #5849 on: July 28, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »
Neversoft has never played musical instruments before.

I'm not sure if I should have angst over this, but for every game that I've been trying to film in my project (the Mario theme catalog), I've started a whole bunch of new files. My OCD tells me that I must complete all these files that I've started.

I've finished all the games before, but the newness of the files demands that I finish them again.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:38:37 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print