Poll

Should American citizens have the right to burn the flag in protest?

Yes
No
Print

Author Topic: American Flag  (Read 25488 times)

fuzzy

• Banned
« on: July 04, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »
What do you think?
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:15:03 PM »
It is our right. The correct way to get rid of a flag is to burn it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:10 PM »
I don't see why everyone's like "OMG TEH FLAG TOUCED THE GROND WE HAF 2 BRUN IT!!!11111111111!!!!" Come on, even if it got a little bit of dirt on it you can rub/wash it off. Wouldn't that symbolize "You can't put us down with a little bit of that. We get back up." while burning the flag because it got a little dirty would symbolize "Oh no, we're hit... everything is over..."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:27 PM »
The flag burning ceremony should actually be a flag retiring ceremony. It is normally used for flags that have many large tears in them and/or are extremely dirty/worn out. If done respectfully, there really should be no reason for the controversy. I don't know what the details of the controversy are exactly, but normally during the ceremony the retired flag is replaced by a brand spanking new one, so as far as I'm concerned, no big.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:24:39 PM »
Um, if they'd like to, sure. I don't see how it'd actually hurt anyone physically. If it hurts people emotionally, I usually tell them that people don't HAVE to like the country (assuming they think that burning the flag is figuratively/literally hurting the country). Seeing as on TV when they're burning the flag, chances are they don't even live in the country, so I'd say it's alright for them to burn the flag if they want to.

I pity anyone after this post who says I sicken them.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 10:17:43 PM »
First off Vid, your opinion doesn't sicken me. Opinions are like noses, everyone has them and they're all different.
Anyway, flag burning is wrong to me. First of all, you have to love america. America is the reason why you are sitting at your computer relaxing and loving life. If you don't like America, then why are you here? The flag symbolizes America and what it stands for. Letting a flag hit the ground is a lot less harsh than burning it, so why do people feel that they need to it. If a flag is old, recycle it! AS proud as most americans are, they should go through a lot of flags that could be put to other uses. Flag burning is disrespectful and dishonorable. It's like burning a bald eagle or the white house.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 11:52:30 PM »
If flag burning were illegal, then our freedom would be taken away by the symbol of freedom. Vote yes.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 11:56:11 PM »
If America were truly free, why would we have drafts?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 12:04:15 AM »
It's nothing like burning a bald eagle or the White House.  If you love America, you love freedom of expression.  If you're limited in how you can express yourself, then where is that freedom you claim to love?  You can detest the action, but that doesn't mean an action doing no direct harm to others should be illegal.  That's just hypocrisy.
i.e.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

And using a drafts excuse is lame... two wrongs don't make a right.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:14:54 AM »
Yes. As long as the event isn't a fire hazard.
~I.S.~

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 01:49:02 AM »
If people are attacking us and no one will join the army, we're dead.

If people are burning the flag and no one stops them... we're annoyed?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 08:32:24 AM »
I like how Insane Steve put it.  And despite how well that Simpsons song was, I still think burning a flag isn't that big of a deal that there should be a law against it.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »
The flag represents what our ancestors stood for and fought for. It grew up along with freedom and shouldn't be the victim of it.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
I hate to say is solidmushroom, but they stood up so we could have that freedom. If you want to hate America, burn the flag or whatever, that's your right. You have to let them choose. You can disagree with them, but you can't take away that right.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 02:35:18 PM »
If you're a true american you also believe in free speech. Symbolic Speech for the most part, is covered under the 1st amendment. Therefore flag burning is alright, but burning your draft card, for example, is not. The Flag has no impact of government function or society, the draft card does.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 02:43:52 PM »
Maybe it could be legal, but it is DOWNRIGHT DISRESPECTFUL. Also, If you hate america, why are in it's economy? Why do you take advantage of what this country has to offer and offer it no respect in return?! Why the dukar are you even here?!

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 03:19:39 PM »
I don't think that burning the flag means that you hate the country in some cases. 

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »
Yes, in fact, it can be in protest. Also, to retire a flag, you cut it, then you burn it.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 06:34:23 PM »
Also, If you hate america, why are in it's economy? Why do you take advantage of what this country has to offer and offer it no respect in return?! Why the dukar are you even here?!
A lot of those people are unable to leave for some reason or other. They may not have enough money to go to and become a citizen of another country.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 08:39:01 PM »
Well this is the only country they can be in, so they should like it. Unless they want to go to a third world nation or live in the ocean, America is the only country that will offer them a home and they burn what America stands for. People should learn to love and respect their home or get lost.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 09:04:13 PM »
I suppose prisoners should learn to love prison too.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 09:19:54 PM »
Well that's their fault. They were born outside of prisonand never have to go there. people are born and grow up in america. Jail is punishrent, america is a home and if you don't like your home get lost or learn to like it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:22:15 PM by solidmushroom »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 09:35:08 PM »
Quote from: #tmk
<FireLuigi> i say, burn all flags.
<BirdPerson> If I were stranded on a desert island (as I am) with nothing but an American Flag to use to make fire, I'd burn it.
<Markio> It should have been more like "Do you think there shouldn't be a law against burning the flag?"
<Markio> do you live in Hawaii, BP?
<BirdPerson> CA, but fireLuigi seems to think I'm The Skipper.
<FireLuigi> aye aye, skipper
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 11:28:56 PM »
If I saw an American burning the flag, I'd honestly be fine with it.  I would simply think less of this person, as it shows a bit of a downside in their character for having the need to burn something.  I would never burn the flag, as I respect America and its great history (though disappointment dawns on me every 4th of July -_-').
Honestly, I think there are more important issues to worry about. 
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 03:36:18 PM »
I would never burn one except to honorably dispose of it. Otherwise, it's a waste of a perfectly good flag.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 04:52:45 PM »
I'm personally more concerned about the environmental effects (if any) of burning the paint within the US flag than I am about the offensive nature of flag burning.  Outlawing flag burning to protect a symbol of freedom is ridiculous.  The symbol of freedom is of trivial importance compared to the freedom itself.  You can hate all or part of America and still choose to be a US citizen if you hate all other countries more.  In the words of Winston Churchill:  "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."  Technically the US is a Republic, not a Democracy, but you get the point.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 11:34:12 AM by Hirocon »

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 09:58:21 PM »
I would never burn the flag unless I was outraged at some awful decision which I don't see happening any time soon.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 10:03:41 PM »
I've been outraged at a lot of our government's decisions in the last few years, but I doubt I'd burn the flag to protest, even though I do still think it should be legal (If flag burning is banned, the far right will try and figure out what over encroachements on the 1st amendment they can make). I mean, I'd probably take a much less flam[size=0]e[/size]boyant route of protest. Like complaining on an internet forum about Mario games. That's just me, though.
~I.S.~

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 07:37:29 AM »
Perhaps I would burn the flag if it became illegal.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 09:57:51 AM »
Burning a flag would put pollutatnts into the air, though.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2006, 12:16:51 PM »
I really don't think there would be an environmental effect.  We should all replace our lawnmowers.  There are a huge disaster for the environment for being just a garden tool.

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2006, 12:30:43 PM »
So.......what will we cut our grass with then?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:38:51 PM by PaperLuigi »

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2006, 02:03:44 PM »
Electric lawnmowers! :)  I want one very badly.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2006, 05:00:14 PM »
It's also kinda fun if you use a nail clipper, assuming it's not that hot out.

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2006, 05:48:39 PM »
Electric lawnmowers! :)  I want one very badly.

Electric, huh? I thought about getting one because the gas from my current one smells terrible.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2006, 09:05:09 PM »
Yeah, I managed to talk my dad into buying an electric weedeater. But he's still holding out on the lawnmower.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2006, 11:07:57 PM »
I have an electric lawnmover. It's quite convenient, and I highly recommend one for people buying a new lawnmower.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2006, 11:09:31 PM »
Gas-powered lawnmowers can't be making much of an impact on the environment. Removing gas-powered cars might show some difference. Lawn mowers, not so much. Is the battery life good on electric ones?
That was a joke.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2006, 11:19:48 PM »
According to Title 4 of the U.S. Code, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

Touching the ground...
But these are just guidelines for showing proper respect for the flag, not enforceable laws, and there is nothing stating that the flag should be destroyed if this happens. If a flag does touch the ground, the proper course of action is simply to lift the flag up, and if it's dirty, clean it. It should only be burned if it is damaged or soiled beyond repair.

I have an electric lawnmover. It's quite convenient, and I highly recommend one for people buying a new lawnmower.
Hooray!  You are helping the environment out a ton by having an electic lawnmower.

Removing gas-powered cars might show some difference. Lawn mowers, not so much.
Although cars are worse than gas lawnmowers it still doesn't mean that it is okay to use one.  Remember, just because you can't do everything doesn't mean you should not do anything at all.

Gas-powered lawnmowers can't be making much of an impact on the environment.

For being a a simple garden tool, the pollution is just ridiculous.  Using a gas mower for one hour is just as bad as driving a new car 93 miles!  That is way to bad for me when you are talking about a common lawnmower. 

Jman

• Score
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2006, 11:22:31 PM »
I don't know if I should touch this one...this is where I could become all radical.  I will say this though, I agree completely with Blue Toad and I.S.  Flag Burning itself is a freedom, but you'll never see me do it.  Just because we have the right to do something, doesn't mean we should do it.  It reminds me of this quote that goes something like "We should do what we ought to, not what we want to."  I can't remember it completely, but it's a great quote.  
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2006, 05:42:41 PM »
I dunno, I still like using the gas-powered, because I had a friend who's uncle's electric lawn mower exploded on him.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »
Exploded?  How can that even happen?  Has anybody ever heard of an electric appliance exploding?  I haven't.

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2006, 09:00:40 PM »
 I've heard of electric cars blowing up too. Anyway, I think we've gotten off topic here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:02:52 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2006, 09:37:40 PM »
This is what I don't get. People are all worrying over Global Warming...but wasn't it like 10-15 years ago we were worrying over another Ice Age?

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2006, 09:45:32 PM »
Yeah, man. I'm tired of worrying! We all worry about the enviroment and everything blowing up in our faces and nothing happens. I think it'll turn out alright in the end.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2006, 10:33:06 PM »
Exploded?  How can that even happen?  Has anybody ever heard of an electric appliance exploding?  I haven't.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2006, 10:36:26 PM »
Like I said..............

Believe it or not, fuzzy, electricity causes things to explode.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2006, 11:10:02 PM »
Gas explodes too though, so I think we're all equally screwed.  But trying to take some course of action to help the environment can at least keep the world from getting screwed earlier.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2006, 11:26:21 PM »
Unless you get your electricity from a clean renewable source (and kudos if you do), how is electricity better than gas?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2006, 08:26:28 AM »
Well shoot, I dunno!  Looks like all we can do is hope for the best.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2006, 02:58:43 PM »
Electricity isn't as harmful to use as gas, but still harmful.  Why can't the world just run on solor energy?

Yeah, man. I'm tired of worrying! We all worry about the enviroment and everything blowing up in our faces and nothing happens. I think it'll turn out alright in the end.

Things are happening though.  Bad things.  It might turn out all right in the end...if the world does something about it, like stop using gas mowers for a start.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2006, 05:39:44 PM »
1. YES, ELECTRIC MOTORS CAN BLOW UP.
2. WHAT DO YOU THINK SOLAR ENERGY IS? WE USE SOLAR ENERGY AND TURN IT INTO ELECTRICITY.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 05:41:22 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2006, 05:41:50 PM »
The Caps Lock disease has gotten Chupperson.

And it's all your fault, fuzzy.

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2006, 05:51:58 PM »
I'm going to say yes even though I don't think anyone should do that for no reason. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to vote since I'm not an American but I'll do it anyway. Gahaha!
You just wasted previous seconds of your life if you read this signature which doesn't really contain anything interesting.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2006, 06:18:33 PM »
I'm going to say yes even though I don't think anyone should do that for no reason. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to vote since I'm not an American but I'll do it anyway. Gahaha!

Your from Finland?  That is the smartest country in the world.  It also cranks out new technologies faster than any other country.

2. WHAT DO YOU THINK SOLAR ENERGY IS? WE USE SOLAR ENERGY AND TURN IT INTO ELECTRICITY.

That type of electricity is  not harmful.  Duh!   Also, electric lawnmowers do not just blow up.  There is probably a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance.  Ask the smart kid from Finland.  He will tell you that you are blowing a fuse for no apparant reason.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:22:04 PM by fuzzy »

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2006, 06:34:47 PM »
Actually I think most lawnmowers around here are NOT electric. Why was I dragged into this conversation in the first place?
You just wasted previous seconds of your life if you read this signature which doesn't really contain anything interesting.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »
Actually I think most lawnmowers around here are NOT electric. Why was I dragged into this conversation in the first place?

We were talking about how electric lawnmowers were better.  Because you are a smart kid from Finland and I highly respect you.

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2006, 06:46:29 PM »
We were talking about how electric lawnmowers were better.  Because you are a smart kid from Finland and I highly respect you.
Oh. I don't think there's any reason why Finnish people would be smarter than others.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2006, 06:49:21 PM »
Studies show that Finland is the smartest country in the world!  Congratulations!  Your so lucky.  I wish I could go to Finland and get my education, but I can't.  The U.S. is in fact very stupid. 

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2006, 06:55:39 PM »
Wow, I didn't know that. Well, I guess it's time to hit the hay ->

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »
That type of electricity is  not harmful.  Duh!   Also, electric lawnmowers do not just blow up.  There is probably a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance.  Ask the smart kid from Finland.  He will tell you that you are blowing a fuse for no apparant reason.

I thought electricity is just electricity. But oh well. I have the perfect solution. Let's just sit on the grass or in the forrest all day. and Not kill anything, because it's mean, not build anything because it pollutes, and not wakl, because we might step on a bug. Therefore, we should just sit here, and waste away with time.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2006, 09:42:33 PM »
Although that would help a lot...............no.  That's heartless.  Have you seen I,Robot?  The robots want to control humans so they wont hurt anyone or anything again.   

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »
I agree, that is totally heartless.  What kind of cruel, inhuman person are you, Koopaslaya?  Honestly, trying to find a solution to end this discussion that sets us against each other?  How barbaric!

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »
Maybe we all just complain too much.
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2006, 11:55:49 PM »
I think Koopaslaya forgot to use the <sarcasm> tag.  Though it was obvious without it.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2006, 09:57:40 AM »
When I first saw this thread, I thought "NO!" because fuzzy did not clarfiy what kind of burning he meant. If he means burning, as in, for no reason (I'm bored. I hate America. I'll burn the U.S.A.'s flag.), then absolutley not. That is a disgrace to your country and is treason, which could mean life in prison or death. But, if fuzzy means retiring the flag, then it is perfectly allowable. People can do that in an ethical way that's safe and respectable. I mean, it is more of a disgrace to hang a torn up flag than burn it to replace it with a new one. Please clarify which one you mean, fuzzy!

Here's more info.: http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:10:57 AM by Mr.Melee »
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2006, 11:08:39 AM »
It's not treason because it's not illegal.  That's the reason for this debate.  Courts have ruled that flag-burning is symbolic speech protected by the first ammendment, so no law against flag-burning can be enforced.  Some people are trying to ammend the Constitution to outlaw flag-burning (except possibly during flag retiring ceremonies). 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 11:33:20 AM by Hirocon »

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »
I mean in protest.  I even changed the question.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2006, 04:44:52 PM »
Then no. If you want to protest about America in that way, which suggests you hate/dislike America, then don't live here.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2006, 06:49:36 PM »
Some can't leave this country for various reasons.

Then if they're stuck here they should learn to love it here.

I guess prisoners should learn to love prison.

No. 

Oh yeah?

Yeah!

*brawl ensues*

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »
I think that if you burn the flag because you hate America, then you are doing it in opinion, not in protest.  I know that people would find burning the flag offensive, but it doesn't mean people should not have the right to do it just because you don't like the idea.  We are all of different minds and we all want to do things in our own way.  Take Polygamy for example.  I don't like what those people are doing, but I still support their right to do it.  Freedom of expression and freedom of religion.  Both protected by the constitution. 

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2006, 07:54:43 PM »
Where do people have a right to polygamy?  The only polygamist I know of only legally have one wife.  The other "wives" are legally single mothers.  These way they can further drain money from the government.  At least that's what I saw on a news special on cable.  I think it was either on CNN or MSN.  Also a fellow teacher grew up an lived in a polygamist community and discussed the birth defects that were rapant, but hidden there.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2006, 08:07:55 PM »
I can think of a few better ways to protest against a country than to burn a flag.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »
All I am saying is if people want to do something they can do it if they want; as long as it doesn't affect other people directly.  Other people can whine and cry all they want about what other people are doing, even it it is not any of their business.  People can do things if they want.  No oppression in America.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 08:36:20 PM by fuzzy »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2006, 09:16:04 PM »
No oppression in America.
That's the idea, but it's not really true.  Maybe more true here than in a lot of other countries, but America is far from perfect.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2006, 09:31:43 PM »
That's the idea, but it's not really true.  Maybe more true here than in a lot of other countries, but America is far from perfect.

This is true.  This is why we must perfect it!  I can name a bunch of things for starters.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »
Although that would help a lot...............no. 
I agree with the "no" part, but what would that help? Certainly not the human race. What's the point of protecting the environment if we're not going to use it to progress in life? Yeah, I know Koopaslaya was being sarcastic, but if he were serious I'd tell him to go do that and pray to not get hit by an exploding lawnmower.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2006, 11:55:10 PM »
The annoying thing about being in a representative democracy of non-supersmart or supercaring people is that the people trying to get (re)elected always yack about largely meaningless issues such as this and not stuff that actually matters (read: boring or hard to understand).

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »
Hmm, well this puts up a final statement to this old thread, I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet...
The United States Flag Code.
It's not always right to burn it, but...
The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
However
Quote from: The Flag code
Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag of the United States shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.
I rest my case.

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2006, 06:36:12 PM »
Why'd you bring this back up? :P

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2006, 06:37:45 PM »
Well, I saw the Flag Code in my Social Studies book, so I figured that I'd mention it and prove that I was both right and wrong and show to everyone that I've grown up a bit.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2006, 06:38:30 PM »
To end pretty much any debate that there might be.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2006, 08:02:41 PM »
tramples upon
Better remove these carpets before the cops come give me a hand...
These laws are kind of ridiculous. Yeah, they'd be good to follow from your own personal morals, but put in jail for trampling a piece of cloth? We walk on the country's dirt every day, if the flag represents the country...
I really don't want this to become a debate again. I'll shut up now.
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
However

However, the page you linked also mentioned that the part you quoted was ruled unconstitutional 16 years ago... which brought on the whole amendment discussion in the first place.

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2006, 06:42:04 PM »
I think that American Citizens should have the right to burn the countries flag, considering that it is our first ammendement right, protected freedom of speech.

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respectng an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thererof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the goverment for a redress if grievances.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Today, defacing a flag is an act of protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, as established in Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), and reaffirmed in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2006, 02:12:15 PM »
The flag burning ceremony should actually be a flag retiring ceremony. It is normally used for flags that have many large tears in them and/or are extremely dirty/worn out. If done respectfully, there really should be no reason for the controversy. I don't know what the details of the controversy are exactly, but normally during the ceremony the retired flag is replaced by a brand spanking new one, so as far as I'm concerned, no big.

Agreed. And that is why my town had an "Old Flag Box" near the City Hall. So that people who don't know how can have their old, mangled, overly faded and just plain outdated flags properly and respectfully retired. Old Glories going out in glory. :')
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Print