Poll

Should American citizens have the right to burn the flag in protest?

Yes
No
Print

Author Topic: American Flag  (Read 25330 times)

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »
That type of electricity is  not harmful.  Duh!   Also, electric lawnmowers do not just blow up.  There is probably a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance.  Ask the smart kid from Finland.  He will tell you that you are blowing a fuse for no apparant reason.

I thought electricity is just electricity. But oh well. I have the perfect solution. Let's just sit on the grass or in the forrest all day. and Not kill anything, because it's mean, not build anything because it pollutes, and not wakl, because we might step on a bug. Therefore, we should just sit here, and waste away with time.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2006, 09:42:33 PM »
Although that would help a lot...............no.  That's heartless.  Have you seen I,Robot?  The robots want to control humans so they wont hurt anyone or anything again.   
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »
I agree, that is totally heartless.  What kind of cruel, inhuman person are you, Koopaslaya?  Honestly, trying to find a solution to end this discussion that sets us against each other?  How barbaric!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »
Maybe we all just complain too much.
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2006, 11:55:49 PM »
I think Koopaslaya forgot to use the <sarcasm> tag.  Though it was obvious without it.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2006, 09:57:40 AM »
When I first saw this thread, I thought "NO!" because fuzzy did not clarfiy what kind of burning he meant. If he means burning, as in, for no reason (I'm bored. I hate America. I'll burn the U.S.A.'s flag.), then absolutley not. That is a disgrace to your country and is treason, which could mean life in prison or death. But, if fuzzy means retiring the flag, then it is perfectly allowable. People can do that in an ethical way that's safe and respectable. I mean, it is more of a disgrace to hang a torn up flag than burn it to replace it with a new one. Please clarify which one you mean, fuzzy!

Here's more info.: http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:10:57 AM by Mr.Melee »
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2006, 11:08:39 AM »
It's not treason because it's not illegal.  That's the reason for this debate.  Courts have ruled that flag-burning is symbolic speech protected by the first ammendment, so no law against flag-burning can be enforced.  Some people are trying to ammend the Constitution to outlaw flag-burning (except possibly during flag retiring ceremonies). 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 11:33:20 AM by Hirocon »

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »
I mean in protest.  I even changed the question.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2006, 04:44:52 PM »
Then no. If you want to protest about America in that way, which suggests you hate/dislike America, then don't live here.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2006, 06:49:36 PM »
Some can't leave this country for various reasons.

Then if they're stuck here they should learn to love it here.

I guess prisoners should learn to love prison.

No. 

Oh yeah?

Yeah!

*brawl ensues*
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »
I think that if you burn the flag because you hate America, then you are doing it in opinion, not in protest.  I know that people would find burning the flag offensive, but it doesn't mean people should not have the right to do it just because you don't like the idea.  We are all of different minds and we all want to do things in our own way.  Take Polygamy for example.  I don't like what those people are doing, but I still support their right to do it.  Freedom of expression and freedom of religion.  Both protected by the constitution. 

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2006, 07:54:43 PM »
Where do people have a right to polygamy?  The only polygamist I know of only legally have one wife.  The other "wives" are legally single mothers.  These way they can further drain money from the government.  At least that's what I saw on a news special on cable.  I think it was either on CNN or MSN.  Also a fellow teacher grew up an lived in a polygamist community and discussed the birth defects that were rapant, but hidden there.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2006, 08:07:55 PM »
I can think of a few better ways to protest against a country than to burn a flag.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »
All I am saying is if people want to do something they can do it if they want; as long as it doesn't affect other people directly.  Other people can whine and cry all they want about what other people are doing, even it it is not any of their business.  People can do things if they want.  No oppression in America.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 08:36:20 PM by fuzzy »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2006, 09:16:04 PM »
No oppression in America.
That's the idea, but it's not really true.  Maybe more true here than in a lot of other countries, but America is far from perfect.

Print