Poll

Should American citizens have the right to burn the flag in protest?

Yes
No
Print

Author Topic: American Flag  (Read 25458 times)

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2006, 09:31:43 PM »
That's the idea, but it's not really true.  Maybe more true here than in a lot of other countries, but America is far from perfect.

This is true.  This is why we must perfect it!  I can name a bunch of things for starters.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »
Although that would help a lot...............no. 
I agree with the "no" part, but what would that help? Certainly not the human race. What's the point of protecting the environment if we're not going to use it to progress in life? Yeah, I know Koopaslaya was being sarcastic, but if he were serious I'd tell him to go do that and pray to not get hit by an exploding lawnmower.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2006, 11:55:10 PM »
The annoying thing about being in a representative democracy of non-supersmart or supercaring people is that the people trying to get (re)elected always yack about largely meaningless issues such as this and not stuff that actually matters (read: boring or hard to understand).

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »
Hmm, well this puts up a final statement to this old thread, I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet...
The United States Flag Code.
It's not always right to burn it, but...
The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
However
Quote from: The Flag code
Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag of the United States shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.
I rest my case.

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2006, 06:36:12 PM »
Why'd you bring this back up? :P
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2006, 06:37:45 PM »
Well, I saw the Flag Code in my Social Studies book, so I figured that I'd mention it and prove that I was both right and wrong and show to everyone that I've grown up a bit.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2006, 06:38:30 PM »
To end pretty much any debate that there might be.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2006, 08:02:41 PM »
tramples upon
Better remove these carpets before the cops come give me a hand...
These laws are kind of ridiculous. Yeah, they'd be good to follow from your own personal morals, but put in jail for trampling a piece of cloth? We walk on the country's dirt every day, if the flag represents the country...
I really don't want this to become a debate again. I'll shut up now.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
However

However, the page you linked also mentioned that the part you quoted was ruled unconstitutional 16 years ago... which brought on the whole amendment discussion in the first place.

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2006, 06:42:04 PM »
I think that American Citizens should have the right to burn the countries flag, considering that it is our first ammendement right, protected freedom of speech.

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respectng an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thererof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the goverment for a redress if grievances.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Today, defacing a flag is an act of protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, as established in Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), and reaffirmed in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2006, 02:12:15 PM »
The flag burning ceremony should actually be a flag retiring ceremony. It is normally used for flags that have many large tears in them and/or are extremely dirty/worn out. If done respectfully, there really should be no reason for the controversy. I don't know what the details of the controversy are exactly, but normally during the ceremony the retired flag is replaced by a brand spanking new one, so as far as I'm concerned, no big.

Agreed. And that is why my town had an "Old Flag Box" near the City Hall. So that people who don't know how can have their old, mangled, overly faded and just plain outdated flags properly and respectfully retired. Old Glories going out in glory. :')
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Print