Poll

Has a video game ever caused you to cry--either directly or indirectly--in any way whatsoever?

Yes.
No.
There was something in my eye; I swear.
Print

Author Topic: Have video games ever made you cry?  (Read 28237 times)

« on: July 19, 2006, 09:15:44 AM »

It's something I used to hear in reviews:  "Super Exploding Barrel Brothers 4 is such an emotional rollercoaster, I almost cried 5 times.  Those poor barrels..."  Et cetera, et cetera.  Seriously, has anyone cried because of a video game?  I haven't--but it's not from lack of trying!  I used to think that having uncontrollable emotions made you a more complex being, and that by not crying at the end of, say, Zelda 64 there was something wrong with me.  I tried so hard to cry!  I really did try to get swept up in the emotion, but alas:  I am far too manly and awesome to allow water to come from anywhere but the manliest and awesomest of places, and on that low note I leave you with the poll.  Please vote with confidence; your vote is protected with the strictest of anonymity the Mushroom Kingdom has to offer.  That probably doesn't count for much, given that the Toads can't seem to protect the royal subjects, much less a teenie, tiny, vote travelling across the internet for all to see...

P.S.  Other valid answers include:  crying because Mom wouldn't buy you a video game; crying because your favorite video game was stolen; and crying because an X-Box fell on your foot.  Please vote accordingly!
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 09:17:34 AM »
Yes I admit it. Of course it was when I was a spoiled seven-year-old and my mom wouldn't buy me a Nintendo 64.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:41:57 AM »
when i was so close on donkey kong country 2....and i just got there....n i just died:(...so i cried..
Super Mario.....The King Of Nintendo

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »
The only game that truly made me cry was...wait for it...Planetfall. That's right, not Final Fantasy VII. When Floyd died (OMG spoiler whoops oh crap), I just sniffeled a bit at first, but then I actually started crying. Granted, I was, like, five at the time, but Floyd was one of those really well-developed characters.
every

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:30:34 AM »
I know for a fact I've cried out of frustration from video games at least once, several years ago.  I don't recall actually coming to tears in any games recently, but several games have recently almost brought me to tears of joy.  I think the game that came closest to bringing me to tears of joy was Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, during the scene during the final battle where all the NPCs start cheering for you.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 02:12:38 PM »
I won't spoil anything, but the endings of Metal Gear Solid 3, Quest for Glory IV and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening made me cry.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 03:36:18 PM »
I nearly cried during the ending of Kingdom Hearts.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 03:44:36 PM »
Metal Gear Solid 3's ending didn't make me cry, but it was sad.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 04:04:21 PM »
Ah, yes it was very sad. I almost cried.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »
My little bro. cried at the ending of Mario and Luigi: PiT.
I was like...okaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 07:51:25 PM »
I am far too manly and awesome to allow water to come from anywhere but the manliest and awesomest of places

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I can't remember crying because of a videogame. There could be something in my distant, distant past involving not getting to rent something but I can't remember specifically. I do get twinges of emotion on good endings, etc.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 07:54:41 PM »
I don't think I've ever cried from emotion within a game's story, but I have found certain things to be sad or really touching.

I do remember crying several times whenever I've gotten really, really far in a level or game and couldn't save it (at least not yet) and then someone would turn it off on me or the power would go out and I'd have to start over again. Or if I had just finished doing something really, really challenging or time consuming but hadn't gotten to a save point and the same thing happens. Usually it involves anger, not just sobbing helplessly.

If I've cried out of frustration in a game itself, I don't remember, and it would've been a really rare occurence.
I've almost cried from joy from completing something really hard before, but I don't think I ever actually shed tears.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 07:57:08 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 09:21:48 PM »
Maybe when I was reeeaallly little I might have cried when my older siblings kicked me out of the room because my presence was messing them up, but I don't remember any actual occasions.  I didn't start playing video games until I was eight.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 10:06:01 PM »
Yes, really.
REALLY.
In fact, I can think of a game right now.
The Sims 2.
There's just something about seeing your favorite simkid growing up into a great man, only to get killed by a bumbling fool who sleeps in front of the pool ladder, that kills that sim.

But the thing on that game that really pulls on my heartstrings is the way the games views itself on reality. It jokes, yet replicates reality, and giving you a behind the scenes footage on what family life is about, and seeing behind the locked doors.

For example, there was this really nice family. The Roberts. They were a great family, and worked as a team. But when the husband started cheating on his wife, and her knowing, they get into a heated arguement. But what really gets me is not the big things, but the little things. After the couple split up, the kid would pass by his mom's room, and burst into tears, thinking about the state of his family. Every night, he would cry himself to sleep, dreaming horrible dreams. For a secpnd there, the game seemed so real...
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 11:32:17 PM »
I found a scene in Starfox Adventures to be touching enough to turn my head away so I wouldn't have to look at the cuteness/sadness of the scene.

(To be specific, the scene in which Fox says goodbye to Tricky.)

Crying though? Never due to a game itself. I do remember crying about the fact that I accidently erased one of my files for Banjo-Kazooie when I was younger, though.

I also remember crying about breaking my controller (I threw it in frustration playing SM64, I couldn't get Mario to jump out of the moat).

Stupid, brainless things, yes, but I was only around the ages of 7-9 at the time. I cried in situations that got me frustrated when I was younger. Now all I do is swear it off (sorry, Sapph :P), or if I happen to be with friends, I'll probably joke about it and restart to a point before I made a mistake (provided it was a game I could do that in). Crying in front of my friends is something I consider embarassing. :P
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print