Print

Author Topic: Rumor: New 3DS Model Coming Out in 2012  (Read 7267 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »
Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/rumor-nintendo-will-release-new-3ds-in-2012-2011-8

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it seems logical for Nintendo to make this move, considering 3DS sales have dropped a lot. I would expect it to cost about as much as a normal 3DS. The addition of another Circle Pad sounds pretty good too.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
I honestly can't see them doing that.  A new model?  Possibly, since there are a few things about the system itself that make no sense (placement of the Start, Select, and Power buttons, the Stylus only being conveniently located if you're left-handed, those little knob-thingies on the bottom that dig into your hands).  But actually adding new hardware, like another Circle Pad?  Seems like that would unnecessarily screw over everyone with an original model who wouldn't be able to play any games that require that extra pad.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:11:09 AM »
I'll be disappointed unless it's as trivial as the DS Lite was. If they change their 3DS game-plan now, they've basically screwed over (EDIT: typed this before I saw any other response, haha) everyone that bought it already. I think simple things like battery life would be a good move though.

The extra circle pad better be some optional accessory thing that I don't really need. In fact, I believe that's what I read in the article, so I guess I'm not too worried anyway.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:13:03 AM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »
(It's apparently from the same source that leaked the Vita specs and was the first one with the Cafe controller screen rumors.)

On the one hand, it definitely makes sense for them to try something dramatically different at this point.

On the other hand, if they have two circle pads and de-emphasize the 3D, mightn't it seem too much like a Vita with less graphics and no 3G?

I'm sure they've been planning on some kind of new hardware since launch, though not necessarily this. They wouldn't have put the stylus there if they didn't. Seriously, moving the stylus over there is one of the stupidest things they've ever done. I'm actually more okay with the location of the Start and Select buttons than I've been on any Nintendo handheld other than the Game Boy/Pocket/Color and the Micro. Hopefully they'll also implement that feature that the prototype had where you can switch the position of the D-pad and the circle pad (though it's more likely it'll be permanently fixed in the Wii U layout).

the company is hard at work designing a $10 analog stick peripheral for the current 3DS
...How would that work? Where would you put it? Would it just be laid on top of the buttonless part of the right half? And then when you fold it up, you have to put the stick into your pocket along with the 3DS? Or are they still expecting everyone to carry purses and messenger bags everywhere? Or have they bought into the lie that a handheld console doesn't have to be portable anymore? The day that handhelds stop being portable is the day that handhelds have no reason to exist. Why sit in your room and play on a little screen that looks almost as good as a PS3 when for the same price you could be playing an actual PS3? Why play a two-screened handheld in your living room that has Gamecube-quality graphics in 240p when you could play in your same living room on two screens in 1080p?

The problem is still games. There are none. Surely Nintendo recognizes that. The fact that their solution to that problem is apparently to make it more like a console is troubling. The 3DS still has no launch title, and probably never will (because really the only big feature is 3D, which a non-trivial portion of the population can't use, either because they're too young, missing an eye, or get sick while using it). No single game justifies its existence as a new console the way Tetris did for the Game Boy and Feel the Magic did for the DS. The only other Nintendo platforms that didn't have a game to justify its existence at this point in their life were the Gamecube, the Virtual Boy, and the Pokemon Mini. (And the DS, but, as previously alluded to, Sega saved them on that)

Five months after launch and the next big things we're looking forward to are another N64 port and another sequel to Mario Galaxy. And Mario Kart, which, of course, will sell systems, and seems reasonably portable, but it's one game. Everyone played Melee, yet still nobody bought a Gamecube.

Nintendo needs to stop making PSP games and start making Game Boy games. And I need to stop ranting about this.

Also, if they put out a new model with the same battery life, they deserve to fail, because it will show that they truly don't get it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Or are they still expecting everyone to carry purses and messenger bags everywhere?
YES.

The only other Nintendo platforms that didn't have a game to justify its existence at this point in their life were the Gamecube
For how ugly most N64 games were and how viewtiful most GameCube games were compared to PS2 ones and Xbox ones (how anybody ever got away with saying Nintendo had bad graphics compared to the PS2 in that era, I don't know) I would say everything on the GC that was worth playing justified its existence--as in, most of the games really couldn't have been the same on the 64. They didn't find their niche with the N64 until they invented the Expansion Pak, only used it to make Pokémon Stadium and Donkey Kong 64 look really superb, and danced around that with Paper Mario (can you imagine how amazing PM could have looked with the Expansion Pak powering it? Holy [dukar]!). To limit the scope of the GameCube's launch titles, Luigi's Mansion had a lot of subtle, but important, look-what-i-can-dos. Probably the entire reason Luigi was given a vacuum.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »
For how ugly most N64 games were and how viewtiful most GameCube games were compared to PS2 ones and Xbox ones (how anybody ever got away with saying Nintendo had bad graphics compared to the PS2 in that era, I don't know) I would say everything on the GC that was worth playing justified its existence--as in, most of the games really couldn't have been the same on the 64.
Luigi's Mansion was definitely at least pretty close to being that launch title. Lots of beautiful little touches all around, none of which would have been possible before. I remember saying (and I think writing to the TMK mailbag) when I first saw screenshots of it, "How are they making the graphics? It can't be polygons; it's too smooth!" Kind of got overshadowed by the Gamecube being the first console to not have a traditional Mario game at launch, of course, though personally I was plenty satisfied with nothing but Luigi's Mansion and Sonic Adventure 2 at launch and for months afterward (to be fair, though, I was twelve at the time).

But the 3DS doesn't even have that. Its closest thing to a launch title was a port of an Xbox game that was notable only for being almost as good as the actual thing. And the graphical leap, while the same on paper as N64 to GCN, wasn't as noticeable, because this time around they actually made sprite-based games on the N64 hardware, and they looked perfect. Not to mention that when the Gamecube came out, it had pretty much the best graphics of anything in the world, while the 3DS is a little below the average smartphone, because phones can afford to be $700 because you don't actually pay that because you sign a contract with them.

(Conker's Bad Fur Day actually does come close to some GCN games, though. And by extension, unfortunately, quite a few Wii games.)

I really feel like playing Luigi's Mansion and Sonic Adventure 2 again right now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
the Stylus only being conveniently located if you're left-handed
This complaint is weak in the first place, but it seems especially shallow when the vast number of touchscreen-heavy DS games that completely lacked left-handed control options (and thus were unplayable for southpaws) is brought to light.

Nintendo needs to stop making PSP games and start making Game Boy games.
I don't see Nintendo allowing companies to make guaranteed system sellers and then not release them in the US...well, not on the 3DS, anyway.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
Why is the lack of left-handed controls in games on a completely different system relevant at all to the stylus' placement on this system?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:18 PM »
This complaint is weak in the first place, but it seems especially shallow when the vast number of touchscreen-heavy DS games that completely lacked left-handed control options (and thus were unplayable for southpaws) is brought to light.
Games should have left-handed controls as an option if they need them. But that's different. That's offering two choices equally. With stylus placement, equality is not an option -- it has to either go in a place that inconveniences left-handed people (DS Lite) or a place that inconveniences right-handed people (3DS). Left-handers, for all their nagging, only make up 10% of the population.

Anyway, the telescoping stylus itself is bad enough, regardless of placement.

With the DS Lite and DSi, you just slide the stylus right out of the side. If you're left-handed, you then transfer it to the other hand. With the 3DS, you pry the stylus out of the back with a fingernail on your left hand while carefully bracing the system with your right hand, then awkwardly transfer it over to your right hand (if you're right-handed), then fully extend it with whatever fingers you can spare.

For games like Bowser's Inside Story, where you switch between buttoning and stylusing, that is way too many steps. And for games that are like Bowser's Inside Story but without the courtesy of having a "Touch here when you're ready to go!" thing, it could be game-killing.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:45:23 PM »
Maybe they should bring back the thumb nub
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:23:57 AM »
Wait a minute
the company is hard at work designing a $10 analog stick peripheral for the current 3DS
Would it just be laid on top of the buttonless part of the right half?
THAT'S WHERE THE POWER BUTTON IS.

Also, no way Nintendo would only charge $10 for it. The Wii Wheel is $15 for Clubba's sake.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 09:35:17 AM »
But actually adding new hardware, like another Circle Pad?  Seems like that would unnecessarily screw over everyone with an original model who wouldn't be able to play any games that require that extra pad.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »
Didn't the DSi come like, four or so years after the original model? I'm sure people that bought the original DS weren't too traumatized when the DSi was announced. I know I wasn't. Heck, I didn't even consider buying it... which is why I feel like I'm not missing out. The 3DS is encompassing/topping so many of the shop titles and features from the DSi anyway.

Even so, the DSi barely had any exclusive games (besides shop titles) that made people actually want to buy it. Did anyone really buy it for those "camera-enabled DSi only" games? I only remember seeing one of those in a store ever.
I'm a horrible person.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
The DSi was puberty between the DS and 3DS--a relatively brief, yet awkward transition to the point in life where you have a lot of potential, but no idea what the hell you're doing.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »
The DSi was the DS' Gameboy Micro. Only with less fail.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »
What does that make the DSi XL? The DS's brief struggle with an eating disorder?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 01:14:58 AM »
The Game Boy Micro is friggin awesome, shut up. Y'all don't know me!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 02:43:04 AM »
The funny thing is, no one's sure whether they should believe that image or not. It popped up around the time Famitsu leak scans usually hit the Internet...but the peripheral looks so dumb that people are trying to convince themselves it's fake.

Monster Hunter Tri G is almost certainly real. If it's not, Capcom is probably rushing to make it real, because it'd sell like hotcakes (in Japan, at least).

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 11:44:32 PM »
Nintendo has confirmed this as real.

It also adds L2/R2 buttons.

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
How does it communicate with the DS? It doesn't look as though it "plugs in" to the unit anywhere.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 11:49:20 PM »
But can it play the piano?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »
The hell am I looking at?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print