Print

Author Topic: Writing?  (Read 5216 times)

« on: October 16, 2007, 04:47:35 PM »
Well, I'm not 100% sure this topic hasn't already been made, but oh well I guess.

The question is pretty much, what do you think of writing? Do you think it's a horrible process for school activities, or are you a literary genius? Pretty straight-forward question, but I want to see your views. I know for a fact there are a few creative minds...

Anyway, I really enjoy writing, I'm actually writing books. I've finished a couple, but one I plan on pretty much eliminating, it doesn't really have much to with my other two books which are both the sequel and prequel. I also plan on collaborating the remaining two together, I've always wanted to write a really long book. The thing is, over time my writing has improved since I started on the books, and I'm not sure they'll mix together well quality-wise. In school I'm pretty good with finishing my essays and I get a lot of good grades. (Last time I was pretty much getting 100s for every essay I wrote.O_o)

So, yeah, go...
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:14:05 PM »
I'm able to come up with adequate persuasive essays and the like for school, but I couldn't be a author, ever. One thing I absolutely cannot do is brainstorm. You know, when they want you to create a web of stuff you're going to stick into your essay or whatever... I'm much better at just winging it and fixing errors and adding things when and where needed. The brainstorming part always just has me drawing a blank and wasting time.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:41:11 PM »
I hate writing when given as an assignment where the teacher expects something of a certain length. I tend to express myself using very few words and as such have trouble filling the requirements.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:43:23 PM »
I'm actually pretty good at writing when given as an assignment, though I don't like to do it.  >:(
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:29:48 PM »
I'm very much used to writing three paragraph essays with three or more sentences in each. But lately I've been making them a bit shorter, because my teacher usually doesn't stress on giving us requirements on essays.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »
I'm not a very talkative person, but given an assignement in writing, I will blow away most other people's writing. My history teachers always praise my well structured arguments and my english teachers always like to point out how well I understand someone's written work.

As for creative writing, it is not something I do much. Creating original characters and giving them depth, without making it intrude on the story or read like some long biography, is hard.

My friend wants to be an author after high school but a lot of his stories are structured poorly and include uninspired dialogue, flat characters, and his theme's and opinions are always somehow implemented in them but they stand out in a really obvious way that it interferes with his writing. I've pointed out his flaws before in a constructive kind of way but he always seems to disregard my advice and acts like his writings gold. As anyone can see, he's going to experience some rough times with his editor.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:45:06 PM »
I give two thumbs up for writing! I enjoyed writing while in school (especially creative writing assignments) and now that I'm out I still write for fun. In fact I even started to write a murder mystery story with Fungi Forums members. I had to stop because with the way it was going it would have been the size of a short story. It also got too graphic.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 03:22:39 PM by TEM »

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:41:26 AM »
Though not one of my favorite things to do, I've been told I am a fairly good writer by some of my English teachers.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
I can write when I'm told too, and I can write creatively. I just can't ever convince myself to do it on a whim in my pastime.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 02:43:52 PM »
To blunt, I think I'm a pretty good writer, but not as good as some people think I am. At the least, I've got really good ideas for books and such (not telling!), and am, in fact, writing and intent on publishing one right now.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:46:36 PM »
I'm infamous among many of my English teachers as well as fellow students for being verbose, consequentially placing me atop the over-acheiver's throne, prone to ridicule and clandestine disdain.  However, I think I'm just being stereotyped based on long paragraphs and big words.  I'm not that great of a writer, and I tend to dislike most of what I come up with.
Creative writing used to flow through my fingers as inherently as blood, but after two years of pure nonfiction (i.e. history, history, primary sources, and history), I now tend to limit my thoughts according to the dimensions of "the box."  Thinking outside of it is no longer second nature, corroborating the old theory that the more knowledge you gain, the less imagination you hold. 
I still like it, though, mostly because it acts as a security blanket; if my caliber is to be measured based on writing, I never feel incompetent. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 03:50:44 PM by The Blue Toad »
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:34 PM »
I'm not that great of a writer, and I tend to dislike most of what I come up with.

Oh, I disagree. You are absolutely fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:27:44 PM by PaperLuigi »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
You do know the meaning of concur, right?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »
Well, obviously I didn't.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »
I wrote a lot in high school and college, but since haven't been very creative.  I've had a few stories published in school and have boxes of writings in my garage, but didn't continue much after creative writing in college because I got pretty busy with science classes.  In high school I remember my creative writing teacher picking a few of my stories as the best of the class and reading them aloud, but I don't have copies of them anymore.   I've flirted with the idea of writing and have several short story and novel ideas I bounce around in my head every now and again, but haven't taken the time to put them down.  Right now with four preps, night classes, and a toddler I'm not doing much writing outside my schools.  I'd like to though.  Maybe next summer. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print