Print

Author Topic: Tanooki Mario Winter 2.0 (Fangame)  (Read 4365 times)

« on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »
It's a little known fact that I make games. I might have posted some unfortunate old stuff here before, but this game is something I'm actually kinda proud of. I released it last year on MFGG and it only got one review, so unfortunately I haven't been subjected to a whole lot of criticism and whatnot. I updated it after the initial review to fix some known problems, so... I'm posting it here in hope to get some more feedback. It was made with Game Maker 8.0.

Title screen

Main stage

Gameplay:

You control Mario in the Tanooki Suit, trying to stomp Goombas and Tanoombas. It's an arcade-style game based loosely off of Mario Bros. You move left and right with the arrow keys or A and D on the keyboard. However, everything else is controlled with the mouse. This game allows you to drop "Action Orbs" with the click of the left mouse button.

There are three different types of Action Orbs:
- Jump (Traditional Mario move)
- Spin (Tail whacking enemies)
- Statue (For being temporarily invincible)

To cycle through them, just right-click.

Other than that, you should read the info page that comes with the game. It should have all the details you need before jumping into it. There's a readme file with the SendSpace mirror that I know of. If there are any issues, please tell me.

MFGG
YoYo Games
SendSpace

Known Issues:

- Mario can't jump on multiple enemies in a single fall. (Unfortunately Game Maker comes with this collision issue that I've yet to counteract.)
- Statue kills enemies that collide with it. (It's from the beta stages, but I left it in because it was better than it being a simple statue that does nothing for a certain amount of time.)
- "Spin" sound can overlap endlessly into the next room. (Yeah... so don't spin as you enter the next room during the game)
- Other (There are some other issues, but since I don't have them written down, I can't remember them. Feel free to point them out if you find them.)

Again, feedback would be great.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
Dude, I'm sorry but I do not like this game at all.

Especially the control scheme you got going on. The fact that I have to wait for the orbs to completely manifest, the fact that there is a Jump orb making it impossible to jump and spin/statue, and just the whole idea of having to collect self-placed orbs to do anything I see as all highly negative aspects.

Of course there's other minor areas this could improve, but I really can't get over the controls. If I can't control the game, I can't play the game.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
Right... I knew there was something that I'd end up forgetting. Unfortunately the game's main gimmick relies on mouse control. The real reason behind that is that this game was originally created for the purpose of an online competition, and the mouse control feature was a requirement.

It took me a while to come up with this particular concept, and since I was very pressed for time in my original version, I just ran with it. Even with this remake, I didn't want to completely waste away the original concept, so I only tweaked it a little. I realize the controls are a little wacky, but it was my only creative impulse at the time. Being the person that created this game and having played it on beta for an extremely long time I guess I forgot how awkward it would seem to everyone else.

I imagine that this would be specifically more difficult for those with a laptop, so I'd definitely recommend using externals for this game. On MFGG I'm particularly known for making games with ridiculous, hectic gameplay and I'm finally remembering why, haha.

Enough of the rambling though; I do appreciate the comment. I'll definitely be taking it into consideration for my future projects.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »
Oh no problem. (And I am using a laptop by the way).

One thing I meant to say though, this control scheme of yours might work better as a puzzle game. You know, placing the orbs in advance the clicking a button that makes Mario start moving automatically. Or something along those lines.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »
That sounds like a pretty good idea. I haven't made a "true" puzzle game in my 6 or so years of experience, so maybe I can apply that to a new idea of mine.

Oddly enough, I just bought a game for the DS; "Exit DS" seems like it might work similarly with that concept. It basically relies on touch controls and an action inventory system to get you to perform on the stages of the game. Once I come up with a new creative application I might be able to begin work on a new project. I dunno if I'll be picking this one up again though.

Kinda feel done with it, haha.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »
Quote from: DeftFunk link=topic=13658.msg589987#msg589987
One thing I meant to say though, this control scheme of yours might work better as a puzzle game. You know, placing the orbs in advance the clicking a button that makes Mario start moving automatically. Or something along those lines.
So kind of like Mario Vs. DK 2 in that you can "start" Mario and influence his environment before and after starting? (or maybe not after)

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »
Alternate title suggestion: Mario's Tanooklear Winter.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print