Print

Author Topic: Metroid Prime Omega Pirate  (Read 6729 times)

« on: August 22, 2010, 09:18:30 AM »
I think that's the right name. Anyway, I need some help with the Omega Pirate. I can't seem to finish him off. I know not to fire any beams at him when he's using the.. arm suction, and the Pirates that he summon just seem to get in the way (sorta what they do, I know).

I have 160 missles, several energy tanks (I forget how many exactly) and all the normal upgrades you should have at this point. The only beam/missle combos that I have right now are the Super Misslies (which I've found to be pretty effective against him, but the pirates get in the way..) and the Wavebeam/missle combo.

Any tips, or is there anyway to make the battle easier?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »
Plasma Beam, Plasma Beam (Power Bombs), Plasma Beam.  I can't stress this enough.  Use charged Plasma Shots on his knee and shoulder joints.  Super Missiles are decent for damage, but they're unreliable - use them if you want, but the Plasma Beam is a little steadier in terms of accuracy, I've found.  Even when he's using his siphon, you can sometimes hit the joints if you're close enough to him.  When you've blown his joints away, he'll be weak and call several beam troopers to assist him.  At this point, what you want to do is get near one of the Phazon pools around the arena.  Draw all of his reinforcements to you and lay a Power Bomb to wipe them all out at once and without needing to worry about the color-coding.*  Now - because you're near one of the Phazon pools already, and because he will never teleport to the pool you're standing by, expect him to appear by one of the other two pools (by the way - the second the pirate troopers are dealt with, begin charging a Plasma Shot).  When he appears, hit him with your fully charged shot.  Fire off into the corner so you don't hit him with the uncharged shot and charge another, but move toward him as you do so.  You want to charge the shot until it's almost, but not entirely, fully charged.  Hit him with that, too, and hurry back to the Phazon pool you were camping at before.  OP will never appear at the same pool twice in a row, so charge another Plasma Shot and aim for the pool that he didn't appear at before.  Use the same method to get in two more charged shots.  His health should be more than half gone by this point (assuming you're not playing on Hypermode**).  This is where it gets tricky.  It's possible to finish him off before he restores his armor (just repeat the same method as stated above for when he reappears at the other Phazon pool), but rather difficult.  Don't worry about it if he does, though, provided you have enough energy and Power Bombs to survive another round of destroying his joint armor and dealing with the pirates he summons.  Once the joints are gone again, you should have ample time and margin for error to finish him off.  Enjoy your new Phazon Suit.

* You can also use a well-place Power Bomb to destroy all his armor without using the Plasma Beam, but if you haven't done much backtracking to find PB expansions, you might want to save them for the beam pirates, for which speed is much more important.  There are only eight Power Bombs to be had in the game, even if you have gotten all the expansions (which I'm not sure is possible at this point), so my advice is to save them for the beam pirates and suffer through with the Plasma Beam for everything else.  Depends how well you place the bombs and how many you have.

** God help you if you're playing on Hypermode.  He'll have twice the health and so you'll need twice the energy and Power Bombs to outlast him and his annoying summon magic.  This guy gave me some trouble on Hypermode.

Hope this helped.  Feel free to ask if you need clarification on anything.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
I beat him on the second attempt using this strategy. Thank you!

I've never finished the game, so I assume Hypermode becomes unlocked after finishing?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
Yep.  It really only makes certain bosses harder (Thardus, Omega Pirate, Meta Ridley) because if you've beaten the game once, you already know how to deal with most normal enemies.  But the bosses that are challenging on Normal or Veteran are downright difficult on Hypermode because they have so much health.  Easy parts of the game stay easy - anything even remotely difficult becomes much more so.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
I was just blazing along after the Omega fight and am now at the point where I can fight Metroid Prime. I decided to go back and get the 8 missile expansions and I think 1 energy tank that I'm missing. Trouble is, I don't know which ones I've already got and which are missing.

After checking through a couple of guides, there are some for sure in Phendrana that I missed: mostly in the Pirate labs there. I'm hesitant to go back. The power going out in the labs and the invisible Pirates attacking me were part of the reason I quit playing the game the first time. Heh..

Anyway, what does it look like when you have all the energy tanks? Right now, when I have full energy, the tanks and my life bar are the same length.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 08:52:25 PM »
Then you should have all the energy tanks (all - fourteen, if I recall - energy tanks will extend slightly beyond the energy bar).  I highly recommend getting every available missile expansion, too, so you can nail Prime's first form with the beam combos.  A single charged Plasma shot decimates Pirates of most types, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.  Just have the Thermal Visor on at all times in the Pirate labs along with the Plasma Beam (whenever you don't need to open purple doors, that is) equipped.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:15 PM »
What is the most commonly missed missile expansion? I have 245 and that last one is taunting me with its lastness.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:58:46 AM by Toad »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:13:06 AM »
Have you gone back to Chozo Ruins at all?  There are a couple of brick walls that you have to destroy with missiles to get the expansion, but they're unscannable and very easily missed if you don't know what to look for.  I also seem to remember another expansion in a morph ball tunnel whose entrance is hidden by overgrown plants.  In any case, check the Ruins and Tallon Overworld again - they're home to some of the more frustrating expansions.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:57:48 AM »
Huzzah! My last set of missiles was in the Watery Hall. The space jump is required for an underwater cavern in that area, where the missiles were. All I'm missing now is one Chozo Lore (and several critical scans) and I'll be done!

Ironically, I started this file to get scans that I'd missed in the first two files, but there are several critical scans that I still missed. Since I'm still on a Metroid kick, I may go back and try to get those again..

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
As long as you didn't miss any boss scans or scans in the very first area, you should be fine.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »
My file says 100% on the file select screen and image gallery 4 has become unlocked I forget when spoilers aren't really spoilers anymore, so pardon the tags (I know everyone in the topic thus far would have known what I was talking about..)

I know I missed several bosses that I didn't even think about, mostly due to subtle differences between species (like the War Wasps) or different body parts (the plant creature on the top of the Sun Tower had two places to scan didn't it? The main body and the tentacles).

Ah well. After I get some free time, I'll finish this game out and move on. I'm sort of on a retro game kick right now, and want to play either Super Metroid (since I'm on a Metroid kick and won't be getting Other M any time soon) or Ocarnia of Time (due to being on a retro game kick and not having played this one in a while)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »
Due to timeline placement, Super Metroid would be ideal as a prelude to Other M, if and when you do decide to get it.

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »
Yep.  It really only makes certain bosses harder (Thardus, Omega Pirate, Meta Ridley) because if you've beaten the game once, you already know how to deal with most normal enemies.  But the bosses that are challenging on Normal or Veteran are downright difficult on Hypermode because they have so much health.  Easy parts of the game stay easy - anything even remotely difficult becomes much more so.

For example, those annoying pirate turrets need an extra "concussive shot" (missile, charge beam, etc.)
I tell lies! I tell anything BUT the truth! Don't listen to me!

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:38 AM »
I've found that once you have the Plasma beam, those turrets will only handle one charged Plasma shot.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »
Please be more appropriate with your posts. You've bumped many topics already for no reason and even made two that were completely pointless. The "Game Help" board is for all video games, not just Mario games.

- Kimimaru
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:52:58 PM by Kimimaru »

Print