Print

Author Topic: Speed Test  (Read 25453 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »
I'm back.  We moved into Springfield, VA yesterday and I now have my internet up and running as indicated below.

I think this is awesome!  If you'd like to compare go to speedtest.net.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
Download is 19.23 Mb/s.
Upload is 2.13 Mb/s.
Ping is 31 ms.
Grade: B+ (faster than 77% of US)
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »

It's worth noting the distance given there is inaccurate; I live in Illinois, but it traces my IP to Kansas.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

My house has the world's [dukar]tiest internet connection. I get a "server/network not found" message every hour or two.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:14:59 PM »
Er, look up one post.

I would kill for 35ms ping.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:34:04 PM »
I though yours was just a fluke because of the server location discrepancy.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:04:02 PM »

What the hell is it doing in Kansas

Mine has its days. The serious, no-kidding best I can get is an aircard, so I'm essentially on a computer with an iPhone's internet. I get 5GB total of down- and uploads (combined) a month. I manage 'cause it's mine alone, but, ehhhhhh

Oh and for some reason my laptop doesn't like it so the Internet connection I'm supposed to be able to use from anywhere is bound to my desktop computer :)     )
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:25:51 PM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »

Heh, only a C+, yet better than most people here...
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:18:09 AM »

Not too shabby?
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »

And yet my campus internet still takes untold ages to buffer YouTube videos.
I'll have to take this again once I get home for the summer.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »

Mine is the fastest? I'm shocked.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Luigison: I see what you did there.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »

Not too shabby, but not crazy fast either. It tends to hold up well enough for gaming, which is nice. The school doesn't allow servers of any kind, though. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a common thing, actually.

EDIT: Tested again, from a dining hall this time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:57:09 AM by BriGuy92 »
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »
Has anyone taken YouTube's speed test? Right-click any YouTube video and select "Take speed test" to do so. My average video speed over the past month was 1.43 Mbps, whatever that means.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »
Well, according to Youtube, my connection is faster than my network (nearly 2x as fast), my city, my state, my country, the whole world.  (Should I be jumping for joy or questioning Youtube's algorithm?)

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »
Home now, here's my speed on this connection.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 08:51:05 AM »

Ack.  And yet, it still seems better than my college connection, for whatever reason.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »
Google puts us all to shame.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 05:02:59 AM »

My phone is going to realize in a few minutes that I'm not paying for tethering, but until then, this is the speed I've got.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 03:37:12 AM »

Lol.
Formerly quite reasonable.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »

Ran a test on the airport's wi-fi connection, for the lulz. I expected it to be slower than it actually is.
What's funny is that even though the airport is in Manchester, NH, apparently the test server in Manchester, NH wasn't the best one to use. That makes me chuckle.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »

This is my new Internet.

(No, I didn't kill anyone.)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 01:14:32 PM »
Update:

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
As some of you may know I have recently moved although I'm only six houses over and around the corner.  I haven't updated my cables/network yet, but here's my new speed:

While I don't expect much difference, if there is any significant change once I've updated this house's network I'll let you know.  I know some people that have fiber optics all the way to their PCs, but that is currently not an option for me.  I have fiber optics up to the house and cable from their.  The house is currently networked with CAT5 and/or 5e, but I'm in the process of upgrading to CAT6. 

Edit:  For comparison here's my speed from the same server as previously posted:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:29:21 AM by Luigison »

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »
I'm on satellite internet, out in the sticks, so... yeah, it's pretty lousy. Thanks a lot, lack-of-competition-or-cable-in-rural-nowheresville. I'm not anywhere near Kansas, but the servers closer to me honestly aren't any faster.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:19:41 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
My internet connection is nonexistent roughly 10% of the time. You *****es have no right to complain.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
You're right. Mine's out maybe 3% of the time. Traditionally goes out whenever there's a heavy rain or it's overcast. Get blackouts about four times a year, around wintertime. Sometimes resetting the modem doesn't work, more a question of whether the webpage will arrive before the thing times out. $60 a month for 250 MB per day, and the competing services admit they can't do any better than that. Maybe it is a big hassle to get proper internet out to the last mile, maybe it was a big mistake after all to move out to someplace less populated with cheaper housing. But I still feel it's ridiculous that this is acceptable. It's not the lack of speed that bothers me, it's how low the cap is. I swear at some point mobile phones will have better plans than rural internet does.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 04:40:13 PM »
Trying to load a 30+ minute video on YouTube is the worst, as our connection cuts out at least once per hour.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »

oh wow. My upload speed is worse than Hughes?

This is the best result I got after several tries with that server (well, except for one time when I got 0.52, but considering pretty much every other time I got in the 0.20s, I think I'm already being rather generous). Then for fun I tried with the Tokyo server.

My upload speed to Tokyo is the same as to a place 100 miles away? Is that normal?

And my download speed is about 30% slower than it was a year ago.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »
My phone with a "nerfed" speed.

umad CrossEyed7?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:46:26 PM by bobbysq1337 »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QutLsCCY2yw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QutLsCCY2yw</a>

Sorry for the spiced ham, but maybe you guys need better linemen. 

Here's another one for you:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwG9mypJhoU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwG9mypJhoU</a>
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:01:09 PM by Luigison »

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »
>Not posting the original Glen Campbell version

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 09:54:48 PM »
I can only assume that Virgin Mobile is located there, or at least their nearest server is. I'll repost on the 16th when my plan restarts.

Edit: Tried Wi-fi.

:D, however the upload speed is surprisingly slow and the distance is inaccurate. (Hint for stalkers: I am within that 50 miles)

Here's my school guest wifi:

I wish my normal browser worked with it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:17:06 AM by bobbysq1337 »

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »

Verizon master race reporting in.

Too bad I'm moving at the end of next week, time to take advantage of these speeds and finish downloading the heisei sentai series
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:08 AM »

Cable connection in the apartment I'm living in now.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
After changing to OpenDNS:   

I haven't finished testing OpenDNS and may not stick with them, but thought I'd share. 

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »

FAIL. >:(
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

I took the this test maybe a year ago? And got an F- (slower than 97%). So at least it's improved.  ... :/
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
Testing Google Public DNS with Washing D.C. Beta:

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
I ran a test of the top 50 servers and came up with:

Not a statistically significant increase, but I'm switching to a wireless home network and thought it'd be worth checking out. 

... Edit:

New DNS and wireless only on my wife's PC:

She was worried about surfing the net without a wired connection, but I think she'll be happy. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:40:48 AM by Luigison »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »
I just completed setting up a Gigabit network and have the following now:

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2013, 10:55:50 PM »
I got a new phone that's 4G capable. It's loads of fast.

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »

My ISP recently got bought out by what's supposedly one of the worst cable companies in the US. This seems to have had a bit of a positive effect on my internet speed...although I miss my really low ping.
Relics.

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »

My ping has gotten higher...but at least my download and upload speed have improved now, although I haven't heard great things about who my mom has decided to switch our internet to.
Relics.

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »

I miss EPB.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »

Hey, we're up to an F+ now!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 09:20:27 PM »

It's not my house, technically, but it's where I've lived since a little more than a year ago. So I guess this is my home connection?

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »

Yay internet's good.

Tokyo doesn't like us.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:16:19 AM by Tavros »
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/830927084

4G, on my new phone that supports it.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »
We have moved again and are basically back where we started in Southern Mississippi:

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »
So this is what y'all are doing these days? Comparing e-peens?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
"These days"? Luigison's post is the first one in 10 months.

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2015, 12:56:55 PM »

Got an upgrade today.
Relics.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »

I removed my dual network setup as it didn't work with Windows 10.  It also seems that my speeds slow down a little later in the day. 

For internet I'm fairly happy with Cable One, but I'm unhappy that they don't have Viacom channels.  I miss Comedy Central.  To make matters worse, Viacom blocks some online content (See The Daily Show video message attached) because I'm using Cable One. 

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »

We dropped Cable One tv/cable, but are keeping the internet with the speeds posted above.  For TV we are using Amazon Prime, Chromecast, and antenna.  I'm also in the process of converting our DVDs to HDD files. 

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 05:30:35 PM »

oof.
Though it might be because my current computer is trash.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2016, 10:22:46 PM »

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »

Got a new ISP today.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2016, 04:06:54 PM »

Print