Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 369014 times)

« Reply #465 on: June 02, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »
Why Latias? Salamence would makes sense, with its stats being so similar to those of Garchomp.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #466 on: June 02, 2010, 06:20:38 PM »
The majority of us do not play Pokemon competitively.

Including me. And I'm on Serebii AND Bulbagarden, so that's saying a lot. Then again, calculating EV's and IV's is too much for my little 10-year old brain to handle, I suppose. So I don't really give a crud about Latias "Being banished to Ubers."
GAY LUIGEH

« Reply #467 on: June 03, 2010, 06:50:24 AM »
Including me. And I'm on Serebii AND Bulbagarden, so that's saying a lot. Then again, calculating EV's and IV's is too much for my little 10-year old brain to handle, I suppose. So I don't really give a crud about Latias "Being banished to Ubers."

Well, all that I can say is deal with it.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #468 on: June 03, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
Then again, calculating EV's and IV's is too much for my little 10-year old brain to handle, I suppose.

It's not as difficult as it looks. Individual Values will always be the same, regardless of who you battle. There's a formula for it online somewhere. Effort Values on the other hand, are a different story. Getting the right ones by battling the right Pokemon can be highly tedious.

(I'm only mentioning this because I EV trained my Houndoom and Blissey just recently. Yes, I am a loser).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #469 on: June 03, 2010, 01:18:55 PM »
I wouldn't be able to EV train anything without my trusty Pokerus carriers and Macho Brace.  Of course, even then, it takes a while; and it's not worth it unless you're going to use your 'mons competitively, since regular grinding will work against NPCs in the main game.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #470 on: June 03, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
If you don't play competitively, you should try. It's really not as hard as you would think, and it really does bring more life into the games. I've been competitive for three years and I'm happy I did it.

I'm honestly not that familiar with Latias, to be honest. I never used it in the months that it was OU, and whenever it was used against me I honestly didn't have much trouble with it because I love to run banded Careful specially defensive Tyranitar, which is basically BUILT to kill Latias. But Latias is amazing at sweeping, and support, so I understand why it went to Ubers. It was just dominating the metagame.

Salamence, if you ask me, is more of a threat than Latias. At least with Latias you know she's going to hit you from the special side. With Salamence it's a completely different story. Something is going to get hit hard, or he's going to be able to set up before you know the set, and by then it's too late a lot of the time. Salamence is extremely unpredictable and therefore doesn't truly have a counter. Even though Choice Band Scizor can deal with it alright after Stealth Rock and one turn of Life Orb damage.

EVing is really confusing and frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. But after you do it for long enough you get it down to a neat little system. I just breed, IV check, level them up, de-EV them, vitamins, infect with Pokerus, EV train. Of course it helps if you have the Power Items, which turns one Bidoof into 10 HP EVs and makes it much, much faster. IVs are more frustrating since you can't control them as easily. I don't exactly breed for IVs, simply because I'm lazy. Though I'd like to teach myself how. I simply breed six of the same thing, same natures and all that, and IV check those. So at least there's a little bit of control with that.

Overall, Pokesav = Must have.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #471 on: June 03, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »
Pretty much everyone on this board will eat you alive for that Pokesav comment.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #472 on: June 03, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »
Pokesav is good if you don't want to waste your time grinding all day.

Then again, you wouldn't need to do either if you weren't playing Pokemon.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #473 on: June 03, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
Can't say I approve of cheating, but eh.

« Reply #474 on: June 03, 2010, 06:21:09 PM »
I don't consider using PokeSav "cheating" unless it's employed to create impossible Pokemon. It's like buying produce at a market rather than growing it yourself, while cheating with PokeSav is like growing genetically-enhanced crops which are rightfully banned by the FDA.

« Reply #475 on: June 03, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
I'm honestly not that familiar with Latias, to be honest.

Somebody better call the Department of Redundancy Department.

I've been thinking about playing Pokemon competitivley, but my wireless internet has put a hold on that..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #476 on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:54 PM »
Disliking Pokesav simply because it's "cheating" is incredibly dumb to me. You try breeding for a Pokemon with amazing IVs, and the correct Hidden Power, then talk to me. Don't like it, don't use it, but you cannot deny how incredibly useful and practical it is when playing competitively. Unless you're thinking about the small percentage of people who use it to completely ruin the experience of the game.

How was my Latias comment redundant? I'm able to not be a complete expert on a Pokemon, but still have an opinion on it. I know enough about it to form an opinion of whether or not it should be Uber.

« Reply #477 on: June 03, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »

« Reply #478 on: June 03, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »
Ah. Just ignore my small vocabulary, then. I'll begin being more conscious about that, and attempt to spice it up a bit. Excuse me.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #479 on: June 04, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
I don't consider using PokeSav "cheating" unless it's employed to create impossible Pokemon. It's like buying produce at a market rather than growing it yourself, while cheating with PokeSav is like growing genetically-enhanced crops which are rightfully banned by the FDA.

You can justify it however you want, but you're still obtaining Pokemon with perfect stats with no effort. Those without an Action Replay have to put time and effort in to get the equivalent. It's like obtaining a top score without the effort.

Disliking Pokesav simply because it's "cheating" is incredibly dumb to me. You try breeding for a Pokemon with amazing IVs, and the correct Hidden Power, then talk to me. Don't like it, don't use it, but you cannot deny how incredibly useful and practical it is when playing competitively. Unless you're thinking about the small percentage of people who use it to completely ruin the experience of the game.

I have and do. I IV breed myself without the use of Pokesav/Action Replay. Not all of my Pokemon have all perfect 31 IVs, because that's increadibly time consuming to do so. And in my opinion, that's how it should be.

I don't like it and I don't use it. I would never deny that it's useful or practical because you're getting something for nothing. Of course it's going to be easier.

I play competitively without the use of a Pokesav. I find it rewarding to put my best effort into raising a Pokemon and using it how it is. Others don't, and circumvent the process using Pokesav. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't use it, and don't care if they do, but I call it cheating and disapprove of it because that's what it is.

Print