Print

Author Topic: New Mario titles unveiled at E3  (Read 56122 times)

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
...But how can Peach be a playable character while being a kidnappee?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »
Maybe as an endgame surprise? You get to play the whole game over as Peach, rescue the Mario Bros, and unlock one new area in the process. Fun!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 07:57:23 PM »
I like the way you think, guy. Unlockables in a side-scrolling platformer are a pretty rare commodity, but yours is an awesome proposition nonetheless.

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 09:04:47 PM »
That was actually a thinly veiled gripe at the fact that when you finish SMG as Mario, you get to play the entire game again as Luigi, and unlock one more level (not world, level)

What about an 8 bit unlockable, where the characters change into their 8-bit iterations from over 20 years ago, or even a 16-bit one..?

Or a.. Retro World, where levels are built that look like levels from over 20 years ago (such as World 1-1, redone with New SMB graphics).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 02:21:22 AM »
Maybe as an endgame surprise? You get to play the whole game over as Peach, rescue the Mario Bros, and unlock one new area in the process. Fun!

*Hasn't played Super Princess Peach, so this may have already happened*

Isn't it time Bowser kidnaps the Bros? I mean, seriously, to successfully capture the princess, you need to get rid of what prevents you from winning!
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 07:04:59 AM »
Yeah, I think that's what happens in SPP.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 07:29:19 AM »
It is what happens. That game is a highly overlooked game, and it was fun.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure the reason they used Yellow and Blue Toad is so they could have the characters be red, yellow, green, and blue. With four-player simultaneous play you need to be able to tell which character is yours instantly, and having two red characters (i.e. Mario and Toad) or two green characters (i.e. Luigi and Yoshi) could confuse you for a fraction of a second long enough to kill you.

Whether that was just for the E3 playthrough or if it's going to stick through to the final version, I don't know. The fact that they've released official renders of Blue Toad and Yellow Toad, along with its release date being so close, certainly add an air of permanence to the whole thing. Still, I'd be pretty surprised if there weren't any unlockable characters.

Also, there's this, so you can't really stay upset at them.

I do wonder if Yoshis will have different abilities based on color or if it's just cosmetic this time around. I hope they do.

It is what happens. That game is a highly overlooked game, and it was fun.
Indeed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:14:10 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 03:58:53 PM »
From what I understand the Yoshi's color indicates what player hit the box with his egg in it, as eating a Koopa shell doesn't appear to give him any abilities in existing footage.

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
That could just be becuase this is the E3 version. Many things can and probably will change between E3 and release.

Hooktails' original weakness was going to be frogs, but apparently they changed it. I remember playing the demo of it (in stores, not at E3) and Goombella saying that, and similar things ("I can't tell you about this area yet. This is a demo, Mario!)

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
^ That picture of Mario and Yoshi made me grin from ear to ear. :D

Honestly (and obviously) SMG2 is just part II of Mario's grand adventure in space. And we get to ride Yoshi! Twice! (NSMBW and SMG2.) :DDD
I am completely ecstatic about this game and hope that it has everything that we've been asking for in a Mario game.

...But we all know It will NEVER have everything we could possibly ask for in a Mario game. :|

"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
Yoshi seems to be making a sudden resurgence in the front lines of Mario gaming, playably appearing in two Mario titles at once and all.

Do you suppose that NSMBWii will be composed entirely of new levels, or will it be more of an expansion to its DS predecessor?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 12:12:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that it's 80 totally new levels. The name may have been an unfortunate choice.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 12:45:27 AM »
I only hope the levels aren't quick to finish. I hope they add in puzzle elements like in Super Paper Mario.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
I hope the world map is expansive and chock-full of secrets like in SMW.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print