Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution renamed  (Read 24348 times)

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 09:47:19 PM »
Wii, oh wii, did they rename it? Don't answer this question, I already know. Still, I like the name Revolution better. *Wiis- I mean, dies*
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 09:51:11 PM »
This name is not right. Omg, how could nintendo call it the "Wii". It has a horrible ring to it. Think about it: Super Smash Bro. Wii. Super Smash Bros. Revolution must have just been a codename, too. God, I'm hoping that they don't make it Super Smash Bros. Wii. I pray that that is just a codename.
This is horrible news. I will always remember it as "Revolution". Wii sounds like some kind of fruit or wierd toy.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 12:02:45 AM »
Go eat a kiWii.
Spray the Wiids in the yard.
Pop a Wiilie.
I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiiner.
Wii! this is fun.
White bread or Wiit bread?
I know your Wiikness, you can't beat me.
How Wiird.
Sob, Wiip.
I'm tired and Wiiry.
Kick yourself, WiiMan!!
The possibilities are endless.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 12:06:02 AM »
I personally like the name.

I've been to other forums that have people making fun of the name, or people going "WHY NINTENDO, WHYYYYY??" and I have been pretty surprised that people hate a NAME.

"What's in a name?" and "Don't judge a book by its cover" are quotes I think of when people just HAVE to say there's something wrong with Nintendo's naming and innovative ideas.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 02:19:52 AM »
Yes, what's in a name?  Wii by any other name would surely smell as sweet.

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 06:06:27 AM »
I personally don't much care for the name, but most console names are pretty bad.
X....Box???
Play Station?
Neo Geo?
Turbo GrafX?
and of course, let's not forget, Gizmondo!

I like the philosophy behind the name, don't like the name though. Maybe for the online service, but not the console itself.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 07:02:04 AM »
When I first saw the name, I thought he mispelled Wifi, and I thought "Wifi?  That's not original at all.

Even though I like this name, I prefer Revolution.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 09:20:16 AM »
Wii....sounds terrible, but at least it's not Bluewave like some idiot at Wikipedia claimed it was. Revolution is still a better name. Oh well.

BTW, Super Smash Bros. 3 is rumored to be subtitled Mayhem. I doubt Revolution or Wii were ever going to be in the title at all.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »
When I first saw the name, I thought he mispelled Wifi, and I thought "Wifi?  That's not original at all.

Even though I like this name, I prefer Revolution.

That's exactly what I thought, too.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »
Good old Nintendo, just when I start warming up to the console they give it an awful name.  That little peom they added to explain the name makes it even worse.
Oh well, its their console, they can make selling it as easy or as hard as they want.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »
Vid, to hardcore gamers, the name dosen't make a difference. To casual gamers, the name makes all the difference in the word. They don't know what is inside of it. They just know it by the name.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 02:31:57 PM »
Innovation is a good thing.

Way too much innovation at once scares the general public -- lowering sales. While I'm not saying the general populace is stupid enough to be discouraged from buying a game system just because they disapprove of the name, the general populace is stupid enough to be discouraged from buying a game system just because they disapprove of the name.

First it was the unique controller. Now, it's the rather unique (yet easy to make fun of, in several ways) name. Of course, if the Wii's online capabilities pan ou better than the GameCube's, I'd assume all the hollow "OMG WAT A STOOPD NAM" people will not be playing on the Wii -- so I'd assume online gaming experiences will be more fun? I don't know.

I still prefer Revolution, personally, but that's just one man's opinion on a rather unimportant facet of a game system.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 02:34:24 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »
Here's an idea for the name of the next SSB:

Super Smash Bros. Thrii
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 02:36:57 PM by The Chef »

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 02:41:08 PM »
[04/28, 02:13:00] MegaByte: yeah, that's why it was probably a dumb move... the Nintendo fans are going to buy it anyway... are they really going to gain fans like this?

I agree with this. I personally think Wii is a dumb name (and I really liked Revolution as its name; seemed perfect), but no matter what the name is, I'll still buy it. However, I don't see how with the name Wii, Nintendo's going to attract non-Nintendo fans. Buying something called "Revolution" sounds more appealing than something called "Wii"; some people are shallow, and the "book cover" makes all the difference to them, not what's on the inside. Ninty's gonna be attracting less of the "shallow" population with this move, IMO.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
Yes, for most people they only seemed to care about the name now, they for some reason are basing all their thoughts on the name now saying that they won't but it because of the name, and to me that makes no real sense but it definitely doesn't mean that it will get many sales, just because most people care too much about the name but never noticed that an X-Box is not really a box, but they care about a creative name? Rubbish.
I'm a horrible person.

Print