Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution renamed  (Read 24477 times)

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 03:37:27 PM »
Well, shucks. I was really looking for an awesome system that will bring about a "revolution" in gaming. Now I have to look forward to a system called Wii. God knows that's gonna get made fun of. I can just see Sony just laughing at our faces.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 04:51:26 PM »
[04/28, 02:13:00] MegaByte: yeah, that's why it was probably a dumb move... the Nintendo fans are going to buy it anyway... are they really going to gain fans like this?

I agree with this. I personally think Wii is a dumb name (and I really liked Revolution as its name; seemed perfect), but no matter what the name is, I'll still buy it. However, I don't see how with the name Wii, Nintendo's going to attract non-Nintendo fans. Buying something called "Revolution" sounds more appealing than something called "Wii"; some people are shallow, and the "book cover" makes all the difference to them, not what's on the inside. Ninty's gonna be attracting less of the "shallow" population with this move, IMO.

I've seen variants of this argument (that the name Wii will make it difficult to attract non-Nintendo fans) numerous times, always given by Nintendo fans.

Here is a rebuttal, explaining why the name Wii was specifically chosen with the goal of attracting non-Nintendo fans, and in fact non-video-game fans.  I can't say I completely agree with the argument, but I can follow its reasoning.

Personally, I don't like the name Wii.  I thought it might grow on me, but it's actually shrunk on me.  I like it less now than I did when I first heard it.  However, if you prefix the name with the article The, it sounds pretty cool.  Anyone wanna go play The Wii?  Try it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »
What bothers me most is that Nintendo HAD IT MADE. They were cruising with what they had. The namewas the last thing they needed to work on, Revolution was perfect and done. But instead of moving on, they change the name to something crappy. WHY did they decide to change it in the first place?? They didn't have to. It was already there, everyone liked the name... are they asking for less money or what?
BTW, I'm still buying it, along with a sheet of labels.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 06:09:03 PM »
Name-wise, I dislike it, just as I did Xbox 360. The thing is, I got used to Xbox 360, and I will quickly do the same for Wii. Can't wait to play it, regardless of the silly name.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »
I think that the silliness of the name can be alleviated if they manage to think of a good comercial that doesn't use the name in a silly way.

It's not about you or me, it's about Wii,
and together, Wii can change the world.

How was that?

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »
Wii will
Wii will
rock you!
clap
stomp stomp
clap

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 07:44:13 PM »
(I was just arguing with my Nintendo-leftist friends today about this)
How can Nintendo change Revolution to Wii? The best they can come up with is Wii? IMNSHO, that is a pretty bad name compared to the name Revolution, which everyone has been discussing forever. I don't think people are going to like calling their system "Wii." If Nintendo expects to reign over the competition, I'd suggest a better name than Wii.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 07:55:34 PM »
In My Not So Humble Opinion? Really now.

About the name, I thought it was pretty funny. Regardless of whether people like the new name or not, I think it will accomplish what Nintendo wants it to; differentiate the system from its competition, and be a name that you won't forget. It's another quirky name that sounds as if it's more suited for a new high-tech fad, much like the iPod, than a game system.

Merge?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 10:52:08 AM by Black Mage »

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »
It is an interesting name, but when you put it together: Nintendo Wii, it sounds horrible (CMIIW)
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:21 PM »
Bah, I still liked Revolution better. Wii is a bit of an oxymoron if you don't have anyone else to play wiith.

Go eat a kiWii.
Spray the Wiids in the yard.
Pop a Wiilie.
I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiiner.
Wii! this is fun.
White bread or Wiit bread?
I know your Wiikness, you can't beat me.
How Wiird.
Sob, Wiip.
I'm tired and Wiiry.
Kick yourself, WiiMan!!
The possibilities are endless.
Wiikipedia.
EDIT: I hope Wii will be able to use Nintendo Wii-Fi Connection.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:41:16 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »
It is an interesting name, but when you put it together: Nintendo Wii, it sounds horrible (CMIIW)

You're not supposed to put it together. It's not Nintendo Wii, it's just Wii.

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 11:29:02 PM »
Oh. That makes it a whole lot better.

I can just picture that now: LD growing his hair out to about four feet long, tie-dye shirt and headband, huge peace necklace and colored sunglasses, interrupting a conversation between two Nintendo fanboys: "Hey man, it's just Wii."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:31:16 PM by bobman37 »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2006, 08:55:15 AM »
Wii sounds like a lot of things.
Oui - French for "Yes"
Wee - Another name for urine
Well, that's all I can think of for now, aside from "We" and all the other Nintendo hippy symbolism.
I think that Nintendo made a wrong move with this one. "Wii" is such an uninspiring name. Just think, which sounds cooler coming from the guy at the counter at GameStop: "All right, we're now selling Nintendo... REVOLUTIONS!!", or "All right, we're now selling Nintendo... WEE! Or Wees. Which sounds like Wheeze. I forget." You see? What real gamer wants to ask for a "Wii"? I mean, I get all the symbolism (sounds like we and "wheee!", the two I's mean two people together, the W stands for Wario and West and Will Smith) but it's just a poor name. It's like Microsoft: They've gotten all caught up in looking cool and innovating and whatnot that they starting sounding wierd or annoying. The only difference is that Nintendo hasn't starting yapping about lucid dreams or the ultimate mind-melding experience between you and your console into the future of the horizon, etc. At least not yet.
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2006, 10:13:33 AM »
I've decided that I am calling the "W2"
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2006, 10:48:38 AM »
Well, after a day of thinking over it, and repeating it over and over, I don't find Wii to be such a bad name anymore. Sure, pretty much everyone's initial response was that it sounds absolutely stupid (and there were the few who refuse to buy it just because of the name) but when you think about it, it's not any less uninspirid than PlayStation3. They're getting all this publicity over just a little name, and as Hollywood has shown us, no publicity is bad publicity. Besides, their is that slim chance they might change the name before it's released, or they could just change the name for the US release, but then that would be such a humongous cop-out.

I can't wait to play with my Wii.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print