Print

Author Topic: In Which I Wine About My Wii U Gamepad  (Read 7775 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: October 22, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
Soooo a friend o' mine recently had wine spilled on his Wii U gamepad.  Pressing the face buttons feels a little like pressing down on similarly-shaped Play-Doh sculptures.  Long story short, he bought a new Wii U just for the gamepad it offered... agreeing to chip in, I was awarded the console itself, along with the damaged controller.  The one with wine spilled on/in it.  Given that replacements are pricey at best, I'm looking into warranty-voiding repairs as my best option here.  To the Internet with me?  You'd better believe it.

I turn the topic over to y'all thus.  Anyone had experience taking apart/repairing a Gamepad?  Even more broadly, anyone had experience fixing this kind of damage to the controller short of replacing it wholesale?  Suggestions?  I'm all [metaphorical, digital] ears.

Worst case scenario, how essential are our friends A, B, X, and Y to the Wii U experience?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:36:32 AM »
You can get a Pro controller, most games that use the gamepad can also use that.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »
Well, I could, but the idea is to have a functional Gamepad.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 01:41:28 PM »
My suggestion: find a tutorial on how to take it apart. Do that, stick the parts in rice for a few hours (overnight, perhaps), give them a good cleaning after retrieving them from the rice, and put it back together. (or find someone who might be more comfortable taking things apart, if you're like me and afraid of irreplaceable damage).

We took most of those steps with my wife's old phone. She accidentally left it in her pocket as we went swimming. It was submerged maybe five minutes, but long enough for water damage to set in. After discovering what happened, we immediately took it apart, and set the parts in rice.. Long story short: the next day, after much cleaning and rice removal, it turned back on. There was some water damage on the screen, but the phone was still functional. We were able to retrieve phone book and pictures. She probably could have still used it, but we had already ordered the upgrade. It was past time for an upgrade anyway, but I digress..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »
Punny title
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »
When I first got mine I noticed what seemed to be some play in the center of my analog stick, but since playing games with it I don't notice any slack. 

When playing VC games I've noticed that I'm better when looking at the gamepad's screen than when looking at the TV.  Either this is my old eyes or there is a slight delay to the TV.  Maybe I should switch the TV to game mode or something to compare. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »
I've actually found that there's a tiny little delay to the gamepad screen. It was pretty obvious while playing Earthbound, for instance. Inputs take the tiniest fraction of a second longer to register on the Gamepad screen than on the TV screen. That could be because I'm using a CRT, though, now that I think about it.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 12:55:01 AM »
As it turns out, taking a wet toothbrush to the buttons from every angle seems to have solved my issue.  Honestly, I had assumed the liquid damage was deeper in than that.  >_>

Print