Print

Author Topic: One set of laws for them... another for us.  (Read 16510 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
Because millionaires and billionaires create jobs and sign paychecks.  Their ability to do that is inversely proportional to how heavily they're taxed.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 06:48:50 PM »
No, demand creates jobs. Billionaires do whatever the **** they want with your job, which is why my uncle's got moved overseas.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
But is that because billionaires are just big jerks who arbitrarily decide to outsource jobs, or because they don't have much of a choice thanks to excessive taxation and regulation?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »
Yeah, what is there to argue about here, really?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
But is that because billionaires are just big jerks who arbitrarily decide to outsource jobs, or because they don't have much of a choice thanks to excessive taxation and regulation?

That's a false dichotomy. There are many other reasons for their outsourcing of jobs, man.

Also, I never accused billionaires of outsourcing jobs because they're "big jerks."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
Fair enough.  What do you think is the reason?

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »
Some do it for tax breaks. Others do it to enhance innovation. And others do it because they feel they are excessively regulated. But there are reasons for that also.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:41:03 PM by PaperLuigi »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 09:37:28 PM »
Yeah, what is there to argue about here, really?

This thread wasn't so much intended to argue as it was to show exactly how ridiculously the rich can manipulate society.

But now that we're on the topic of unions...

[one moment please]

Also, I used to be a very strong supporter of the death penalty for rape cases -- except then I realised that if the penatly for rape and murder is the same, what's stopping people from killing their victims after they're done?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:39:25 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 10:12:36 PM »
I'm against the death penalty entirely.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »
I still support it in murder cases where there is literally NO doubt the person did it. Like the Tuscon shooting, for instance. I used to be a lot more for it but then I took off the rose-colored glasses and saw just how ridiculously terribly the "justice" system is.
~I.S.~

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 10:51:38 PM »
I'm against it on the grounds that it seems absurd to kill a person to show other people that killing is wrong.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »
It's more to show other people that murder is wrong.

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 11:24:46 PM »
What is murder anyway? I see no fundamental difference between a soldier "killing" an enemy overseas and a husband "murdering" his wife. They both result in the termination of the victim's biological functions, and in both cases the victim did not desire to have them ended.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:52:43 PM by PaperLuigi »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 01:57:17 AM »
What is murder anyway? I see no fundamental difference between a soldier "killing" an enemy overseas and a husband "murdering" his wife. They both result in the termination of the victim's biological functions, and in both cases the victim did not desire to have them ended.

And I actually agree with this -- there's no difference here. War (exception: WWII, and maybe the American Revolution) is bull[dukar]. Especially the two wars we have now, which are for all intents and purposes purely for profit nowadays. And, again, the rich profit off the blood of everyone else.

I'm referring to a person killing an innocent, and a person who killed said innocent being killed. I see a difference, I suppose you do not. Honestly the death penalty is like the only social issue I'm not obscenely left of center on so I feel weird being on the "right-wing" side of it.

And that's part of why I started this thread, also -- there's discussion on the death penalty, and unions (I'll get to this later, I have a fairly long-ish opinion which can be summarised to "I think in an ideal world union membership should be 100% voluntary, but in this world that's equivalent to unions just not existing altogether and I feel the needs of the people are more important than the needs of the very select elite.") -- so despite my OP not being particularly debatable there's debate nonetheless.

Isn't politics awesome? ... wait no it isn't :(
~I.S.~

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 03:21:17 AM »
I just dislike killing in general. We're in the middle of a vast, cold, uncaring universe. The planet we inhabit is fairly small and could be swept away by a black hole as soon as tomorrow.

And yet some people want to spend their time killing others. This to me is the most disgusting aspect of humankind.

I'm referring to a person killing an innocent, and a person who killed said innocent being killed. I see a difference, I suppose you do not.

It's true that society has an interest in preventing a person from engaging in the harming of an innocent. But the mere fact that all of us, no matter how saintly, must surrender life in due time makes me hesitant to support such a measure.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:57:11 AM by PaperLuigi »

Print